Status
Not open for further replies.
code:

Vehicle 1999 Saab 9³, 2.0L I4, light pressure turbo

Air filter K&N drop-in, installed at 20,000 miles, cleaned approx. 60,000 miles

Miles on engine 60,684

Oil type Mobil 1, 5W-40

Miles on oil 8,498

Time on oil 10 months (mid-Aug.04 – mid-June.05)

Oil filter Purolator PureOne PL10241 2.98”x3.36”

Oil capacity 4 liters

Oil added approx. 24ozs, after previous UOA & filter change

Oil consumed none

Driving Use 95%+ short trips (less than 10 miles)

Sampling method Vacuum pump via dipstick fill tube

-

Copper 8

Iron 17

Chrome 2

Lead 12

Aluminum 5

Silicon 19

Molybdenum 15

Sodium 4

Calcium 2271

Tin 0

Potassium 4

Magnesium 378

Zinc 1219

Water Neg

Glycol Neg

Viscosity 18.7

Oxidation -

Nitration -

Sulfur Prod -

TBN 3.0

-

Lab S.O.S. Fluid Analysis, H.O. Penn Machinery

Here's my 6mos/4820mi UOA on this same oil.
Here's my 3mos/2232mi UOA for M1 5W-40 that I used for my Auto-Rx rinse oil.
Here's my 14mos/8800mi UOA on M1 0W-40.

I pulled this sample a little earlier than expected. I had planned to go 9k mi, but we were leaving for a 2k mi road trip the following weekend & I didn't want the oil in there that long. It turns out that was a good thing, 'cuz this sample came back with flags that told me something was wrong. Relatively speaking, viscosity was too high, TBN was too low, & oxidation, nitration & sulphur products were out of reportable range. Thinking I had received someone else's report by mistake, I asked the lab about the results. The lab manager provided this response:
quote:

Your sample did not match the reference on the FTIR so we do not have any numbers. Either the oil company changed formulation or the oil condition was so poor that the FTIR rejected the results. There must be 85% correlation or better to produce results. I believe that the oil condition was bad. We ran your sample twice. These results are yours. The only two things that thicken viscosity are antifreeze (which you did not have) and extended oil drain. An extended oil drain would cause high oxidation which thickens the oil. If the oxidation is high enough the correlation on the FTIR would not be within 85% and no number would be generated. Oxidation is caused by overheating, a coolant problem (bad coolant), or extended oil drain. On the last sample you had 4820 miles on the oil, this sample had 8498 almost double. Low TBN indicates that the oil condition is poor - the oil additives are being used up and the oil is losing its ability to neutralize acids. Again, I would check for overheating ...

This made me face the problem I'd been ignoring: that my temp gauge had been somewhat erratic over the past few months. It would show normal temp, then drop to cold for a while, then run normal again. When the lab gave me these comments, I immediately researched the gauge problem & discovered that the Engine Coolant Temperature Sender (ECTS) often fails with less than 60k mi of use. My favorite local Saab garage verified this common failure & said they always recommend replacing both the ECTS & thermostat every couple of years to avoid problems. Since it typically takes us 4 yrs to reach a 30k mi major service point, I figgerd that's a good time to routinely change these two parts. Since the ECTS is also the fan switch, it won't turn on the fan when it's not working. I think this may be part of the overheating problem. Another part may be when the engine is shut off & the bum ECTS doesn't continue to run the cooling system. I got the UOA this past Saturday & we were leaving for a 2k mi round trip to Phoenix in a week (tomorrow). I started asking questions on Monday & scrambled to get the parts replaced & the 3k-mi-old 5W-40 & filter changed.

Anyway, the UOA still showed how good this oil is, & why I'll always recommend its use in a Saab turbo. Compared to the 14mos/8,800mi UOA using M1 0W-40 (which is now GM/Saab's primary US oil recommendation for these engines), iron's only a hair more than 1/4 of what it was & lead's a hair less than 1/4 of what it was. Silicon's up a bit, but I think that may be related to my cleaning the K&N air filter. I pulled the filter out & planned to clean it, dry it & re-oil it over a weekend. In the meantime, I put back the 2 yr/20k mi old paper filter I took out 4 yrs ago. Things came up & I didn't get around to re-installing the K&N for a few weeks. On top of that, I think I under-oiled it. (This is the 1st time I've cleaned one of these things.) The only other oddity was that molybdenum jumped up.

Questions? Comments?

cheers.gif

Hey Eiron, I never cleaned my K&N, when I had the white Aero. I remember reading Dr. Boost say that in tests they did at the engine labs, the stock filters do a better job filtering small particles than the K&N's - my rationale for running dirty ones, I guess. Anyway, looking at my old post, the molybdenum level was more than 4 times yours - that was before the new formulation, though. Also, your Mg numbers are higher than I'm used to seeing on mine - where's that coming from?

There are two issues to deal with here:

1) The silicon level is too high - the secondary indicator is the trace of road salt.

2) Fuel and moisture contamination from the short trips is causing accelerated oxidation/nitration; resulting in significant thickening and rapid TBN depletion.

I'd suggest a block or oil pan heater for the winter, or reducing the service interval by 20%-25%. I'd also allow the engine to completely warm up before getting too heavily into the boost and dumping in lots of raw fuel.

Pretty good wear numbers for the mileage. Did the lab report a fuel dilution number? There is no flashpoint #reported either, that I can see, which would be an indicator..

GC dropped to a TBN of 4.4 in my '01 HOT in 7000 KM (~1/2 your mileage). The initial TBN for GC is probably lower than for D1 though.

I agree -- D1 did a great job. If it wasn't so much more expensive than XD3 0w40, I might use it!

A great example of why UOA is a good idea. Very useful in identifying and enabling the correction of small problems before they can become big ones.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back