M1-110 EP oil filter, 7823 miles

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is a Mobil 1 M1-110 EP oil filter from a 2010 Hyundai Santa Fe.

This was a freebie from DuckRyder (thanks again).

7,823 miles/8 months on the filter, 162,863 miles on vehicle.
Looks similar to the last one I cut open.

Filter (can't make out date code):

[Linked Image]

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/ubb/download/Number/2102/filename/2.jpg

Baseplate:

[Linked Image]

All:

[Linked Image]

Louvers opened up just fine:

[Linked Image]

Silicone ADV nice and pliable:

[Linked Image]

Media a little wide in one part, but overall good:

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Inside can (I had magnets up there, but had wiped it before the pic, just a little stuff up there):

[Linked Image]

Bypass valve:
[Linked Image]

Overall it looks like a good filter. I still think the filter cost too much for what it is (blended media) Should be a $6-7 filter, but is more because of the M1 name.

What went in:
[Linked Image]

I put on an older Purolator Pure One PL14610 (I know, I said I would never use another Purolator, but it was free from DuckRyder) and mixed 2 qts of Pennzoil Ultra 5w-20 and 3 qts of Pennzoil Platinum HM 0w-20. Why, because I have had the 2 PU for a while now and figured this was a good use for it (instead of just using it as top off oil in my truck).

I also did a video of me cutting it open and posted it on Youtube because why not.

I have the media wrapped in paper towels drying more so I can cut it open, I will post that in a day or so.

Originally Posted by blupupher
Media a little wide in one part, but overall good: Overall it looks like a good filter. I still think the filter cost too much for what it is (blended media) Should be a $6-7 filter, but is more because of the M1 name.
I put on an older Purolator Pure One PL14610 (I know, I said I would never use another Purolator, but it was free from DuckRyder) and mixed 2 qts of Pennzoil Ultra 5w-20 and 3 qts of Pennzoil Platinum HM 0w-20. Why, because I have had the 2 PU for a while now and figured this was a good use for it (instead of just using it as top off oil in my truck).

Just so you know, if you're ever up for supreme court justice, I'll tell them you used Purolators....
Thats not a bad filter, but yes I think people believe its built just like a Fram Ultra or something.

I'd really like to love these filters but I can't since you're paying for a name more than a filter. I wouldn't run one as long as they advertise either. If I ever find some on clearance, I'd stock up though!

Originally Posted by jongies3
I'd really like to love these filters but I can't since you're paying for a name more than a filter. I wouldn't run one as long as they advertise either. If I ever find some on clearance, I'd stock up though!

Oh I totally agree. Only reason I have this one (and a M1-103 in my stash) is Duckryder sent them to me.
I did buy one when the "new' one came out last year to cut open.

I would place this in the same tier as the Toughguard, a solid 10,000 mile filter for sure. Is should be priced similar to the Toughguard as well.

I know 53' Stude just posted a filter (THIS ONE that looks almost identical to the M1 filter, just without a silicone ADV. I know we can't test the media type, so there probably are differences, but again, looks almost identical for probably 1/3 the price.

Thing is, people think I am using Mobil 1 oil, I need a Mobil 1 oil filter, and overpay (plus many of these people are still doing 3000 mile OCI)

Well, since the pic links were erased when they emptied the test forum (where I had been putting my pics), I happened to find the old phone I had taken the pics on, so here are the pics.
Sorry to bump this, but wanted the pics to be with the post.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Originally Posted by jbutch
Which filter cutter are you using, it looks like it works well and is compact.

I think it is called Glenco, I got it off e-bay a few years ago for like $40.
I wish I had just spent a little more and gotten a Longacre Filter Cutter.
Mine does not cut small filters well (it struggles with this size, and anything smaller I can't use it on), and is a little awkward to use.

Originally Posted by geeman789
Filter looks good ... price tag not so much.

M1 filter : $ 19.00 CDN

Fram Ultra : $ 11.00 CDN

NAPA Gold : 12.00 CDN

Wow, that is crazy.
Only reason I have this one is it was given to me.
I have another M1 for my truck, but I got that as part of a package deal from Auto Zone (5 qts M1 and a M1 filter for $31, - $10 MIR, - $17 MIR, - $20 Rewards, they paid me to get the oil and filter).
I personally feel the M1 filter is on par with a ToughGuard or something like an EcoGard Syn for less money.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back