M1 10w30 4.7L Tundra 10475 miles FIVE YEARS

Status
Not open for further replies.
I finally convinced my Dad to leave the oil in until I said to change it (hey, he paid for a engineering degree, he should get some use out of it). Here are the results. I think the longest trip he has taken in the last 5 years in the truck is 50 miles one way. most are under 15 miles

For anyone who thought Mobil was kidding about the Aunt Millie test....read'em and weep.

Blackstone Labs

MI on Oil 10475
MI on Unit 42000
Make Up Oil Added 0 qt

ALUMINUM 3
CHROMIUM 0
IRON 18
COPPER 10
LEAD 4
TIN 1
MOLYBEDENUM 77
NICKEL 0
MANGANESE 0
SILVER 0
TITANIUM 0
POTASSIUM 1
BORON 59
SILICON 12
SODIUM 6
CALCIUM 2194
MAGNESIUM 22
PHOSPHORUS 636
ZINC 776
BARIUM 0

SUS Viscosity @ 210F 60.6
cSt Viscosity @ 100C 10.40
Flashpoint in F 380
Fuel % Antifreeze % 0.0
Water % 0.0
Insolubles % 0.3
TBN 4.9

Low sodium suggests that the cleaning ability is down near zilch, right?

Calcium = ?

From my limited knowledge, that looks very good? He sure did save money on oil changes by leaving it in for that long.

And yet another stab into the heart of the "3 month/3k mile" mentality.

FIVE YEARS? That's awesome! That just goes to show that even the "... or one year" statements from Amsoil and others are probably ultra-conservative as well.

Think of the implications. If everyone used oil analysis to it's full extent, and therefore used lubricants to their full extent, how much less crude oil would we consume each year?

There is also a fiscal advantage. The cost of one application of Amsoil over five years was actually well cheaper than if you father had changed his oil every 3mo/3k mi!

"Oh, Mr. Newton, how can you be so naive? Don't you know that changing oil is cheap insurance?" Well, this UOA is yet more evidence to the contrary.

Lubricants should be taken out of service just before their capability to perform their designed tasks is depleted; anything before that is a waste of time and money. I don't care if it's el-cheapo house brand oil or top end RP. Lubricants have no idea of their chronological age of service. They either have the ability to continue, or not. And only a UOA will tell you that; not the calendar.

BRAVO! Cheetahdriver, BRAVO!

Last edited:
cheetahdriver,

Very interesting, thanks for posting! The TBN is still 4.9 after 5 years! Is this oil still in service? Looks like you could go another year or two!

REDDOG

this oil was taken out of service at the time of the sample, and replaced with M1 0w40. we are running a change interval of 10k/5years, and i suspect that we will be looking at another OA in 5yrs of about 10k. the tundra is soft on oil, but even so, i was quite pleased with the results.

This is a great report! My only concern is, because this oil is five years old it's obviously an older formulation of M1. Would the latest formulation have performed as well? We won't know for another five years I suppose!
grin2.gif

And here I thought I was pushing things with the 2 year OCIs I do with my mom's VW!

Very impressive! Good show!

These would be considered good results if it was just 5k miles - but BOTH 10k miles AND five years...wow.

Okay, M1 bashers, where are you...come out, come out, where ever you are...hey, where'd they all go?

patman, yes, that is the problem with long term tests, by the time you get the results there are sometimes issues with the relevance. of course, the real issue with so much TBN left is that i pulled the oil MUCH too soon.

probably had another 3 years left in it....

Great report!

What brand oil filter was used and how many? Do you plan on cutting the filter(s) open? It would be interesting.

I'll take a pot shot... Z & P for a SL oil are pretty ugly, that looks more like an SM type oil -again just nit picking-

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back