M1 0w40 sl formula vs sm

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am considering using the 0w40 for one of my cars maybe both in winter should I be shopping for one version over the other?

TIA,
Anthony

Well SL may be hard to find since the current is now SM,SN but to answer your question any formula is out standing in the 0w40 M1 line and will work fine,great oil.

what vehicle?

I was considering it for a winter oil in my subaru legacy spec b(2.5 turbo) and Toyota supra (I6 turbo 515whp) they have run RP 5w30 and M1 10w30 respectively since new both are over 100k and I am the only owner of each.

I am just learning about oils on here and it looks like it could be a good choice for either particularly the supra but any input would be great. I still have not pulled the trigger on a new oil for either. The Subaru has been replaced since joining bc I couldn't decide the supra still has it's old oil not due for a change though. The Subaru is my DD.

The other oil I was looking at for the supra is M1TDT I think it is 5w40

Any opinions on either car would be great. I need to get off the fence and choose a new oil. Cost is not really a deciding factor availability kind of is but most things can be gotten in 2-3 days with the Internet. So please let me know what you guys think.

TIA,
Anthony

The Shell Rotella T6 5W-40 Syn could be the answer for both of your cars. Very popular in the turbo Subaru community (I had 2 WRX's and an STI in the past)and used that oil with great success with all those cars. If you're considering the M1 TDT for your Supra, the Rotella T6 would work for that car as well. Good price and availability.

You've been 30wt oils you've been running to date have been quite light with a HTHSV of around 3.1cP.
Why all of a sudden to you feel a much heavier oil like a 5W-40 would be necessary particularly for winter use?
Stick to any premium 5W-30 synthetic such as M1 or PP that you can get on sale.

I just liked what I read about it and was under the impression that since it is 0w40 it would be better on start up than the 10w30 the supra currently sees my tuner also recommended a heavier oil I just recently got it back on the road and need to choose one soon I guess I should send in some used oil from. Both to see how they hold up with current oils.

Tuner recommended a 15w50 I believe

When is it recommended to take your sample? At oil change or in the middle of OCI? I assume at the end.

TIA,
Anthony

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back