LuK clutch RepSet kit reviews

Luk is good brand for Euro applications. As long as the Corolla set isn’t some white box rebrand, I would use it.

It's only one data point, but there's a LuK clutch set in a car in my driveway with a lot of trouble free miles on it since it was installed.

Neighbor has one running around in a K3500 Chevy that he would haul 3 bales of hay on multiple times a day. I sourced the parts for him when he had to replace it. I have one in my Ranger(about the easiest application for one) and have absolutely no issues with either one.

Luk is good stuff. When I put the clutch in my Mazda the internet world seemed to think Exedy was the best for it so I went with that. Has been a good clutch.

LUK or Sachs is all I will use when I'm doing a clutch replacement and getting an OE part is usually prohibitively expensive.

As a comparison, earlier this year I changed the clutch and CSC on my Wife's Dacia. The LUK kit I purchased was £160. The OE kit from the dealer was £500.

20220616_213001.jpg

Many of the clutch kits sold by the major brands(ZF Sachs and LuK) more than likely will rebox a PHC Valeo unit for Japanese/Korean cars. Else, either LuK or Sachs should work.

Does anyone make a bad clutch?
OE dual mass flywheel clutches are notorious for early and sometimes catastrophic failures and expensive. This better mouse trap has been redesigned more times than I have had hot dinners yet they still come apart internally. When replaced with a regular clutch and flywheel it is the end of the problem.
Some Porsche and BMW cars use these and when tuned can have dramatic fails, a dual disc is a permanent albeit pricey repair until the disc wears out.

I'm sure there are lots out there with good service- I avoided them and ended up with Sachs which was a reboxed Valeo. Look hard for Aisin kits.

OE dual mass flywheel clutches are notorious for early and sometimes catastrophic failures and expensive. This better mouse trap has been redesigned more times than I have had hot dinners yet they still come apart internally. When replaced with a regular clutch and flywheel it is the end of the problem.
Some Porsche and BMW cars use these and when tuned can have dramatic fails, a dual disc is a permanent albeit pricey repair until the disc wears out.
And on some of them if you install a SMF flywheel you'll destroy the transmission. 🤷‍♂️

And on some of them if you install a SMF flywheel you'll destroy the transmission. 🤷‍♂️
I have seen more DMF damage transmissions than SMF when they come apart. Doing a conversion may be an easy off the shelf job like many VW or possibly a pricy job like a M car or Porsche that requires a balanced flywheel plate and disc assy.
The whole point of a DMF is to reduce vibration being transferred to the transmission input shaft, with a properly well balanced SMF unit there is also minimal vibration, the torsion plate in the disc is taking up the shock loading just like the springs in a DMF. High quality and properly engineered parts make a world of difference

https://www.autoserviceprofessional.com/articles/8950-porsche-dual-mass-flywheel

Back