Lucus trans fix

Well the Lucas worked in my 2001 Silverado for over 2 years now -- had some slippage but after the thick Lucas transmission additive it has never slipped since. Put the bottle in super hot water to help it come out before pouring it into your transmission. Best $12 I've spent.

Well the Lucas worked in my 2001 Silverado for over 2 years now -- had some slippage but after the thick Lucas transmission additive it has never slipped since. Put the bottle in super hot water to help it come out before pouring it into your transmission. Best $12 I've spent.

I expect member @clinebarger could have provided you with some advice on what needed to be fixed in that transmission that is presently being bandaid'd with higher viscosity (increasing pressure).

Oh, and since it was mentioned, I went and took a look at the SDS sheets for both Trans Fix and LOS.

While we know that LOS is formulated using an inexpensive hydrotreated bright stock base (Group II), Trans Fix is formulated using an even cheaper solvent-refined heavy naphthentic base (Group I).

Both would require absolutely obscene amounts of VII polymer added to them to reach their target viscosity (LOS clearly more, given its higher visc), but I'm surprised that they used an even cheaper base oil for the Trans Fix product, it must cost absolutely nothing to blend.

Well lucus in. First 10 min. drive no change.
We see after a few more miles.
1 24 oz bottle in a 325i.

What you all think about lucus trans fix ?
Its going in a slipping BMW 325i (e46) w 190k on the clock.
Sometimes before warm it won't even move. After it warms up it gets much better.
Car only worth about 2k.
Transmission rebuild more than that.
I "fixed" an old beater car with an issue like that by adding 1 bottle of Lucas Transmission Fix (the thick stuff), and 1 tube of Lubegard Dr. Tranny Fixx.

It worked great for me. Your mileage may vary.

Wellv30 miles later still slips. May be getting better.
Shifts are better. Locks up good at hard acceleration

Yes, for me, I tried 1 bottle of Lucas first, which didn't fix my issue. I then added 1 tube of Lubegard Dr. Tranny Fix to that.... That combination worked! I guess the Lucas thickened it up, and the Dr. Tranny worked its magic to as well.

Beat throwing $3000 at an old car. Minivan driving fine 1 year later.

Yes, for me, I tried 1 bottle of Lucas first, which didn't fix my issue. I then added 1 tube of Lubegard Dr. Tranny Fix to that.... That combination worked! I guess the Lucas thickened it up, and the Dr. Tranny worked its magic to as well.

Beat throwing $3000 at an old car. Minivan driving fine 1 year later.
Yes that stuff is great I used it alone in my van in a few miles or less it worked and it worked great. I know a transmission guy and he swore by it so I fully trust it.

Where did I represent it as a different product? I said Lucas with gear lube, I never once stated it was the Trans Fix, I simply suggested that if the test Bob had done with gear oil + Lucas, a combo Lucas recommended, was any indication, there was a significant chance of aeration, something you've not made any effort to disprove.

Maybe the Trans Fix has a splash less VII in it, LOL! Being the equivalent of almost 2x the viscosity of SAE 60, that's a compelling endorsement right there! "Trans Fix, it's like our oil stabilizer, but with less plastic and more tackifier!"

"the transmission fix is very sticky"

Indeed. And why are we putting bar oil tackifier in a product that isn't going in a chainsaw? I'm sure you don't know the answer to that and there likely isn't one beyond the fact that it looks compelling on a parts store counter where it climbs the gears in the little plastic demo machines.

"it has seal conditioners!"

Well stop the train! A product with no formal approvals for anything (unlike MaxLife and Mobil High Mileage) is now claiming to condition seals. Pardon my skepticism that a product blended with the useless inclusion of bar oil tackifier might not be all that it advertises to be in this department when compared to more legitimate offerings.

I'd originally included some queries about shilling for Lucas, a company that's generally maligned on here, but I've removed them in an effort to keep this reasonably civil.

Why do you have to work hard to be civil? You told me you thought the two products were actually the same. I showed from the SDS they are different products. Talking about oil stabilizer in a post about transmission fix is a complete red herring. So irrelevant to thread and it is anybody’s guess why you still keep harping on it. They are two different products regardless of your suggestion to the contrary.

You told me you thought the two products were actually the same.

No, you claimed they were two completely different products, I simply questioned whether that was truly the case based on what they do:

OVERKILL said:
Are they though? They both do the same thing: massively increase viscosity with a huge dose of VII and wickedly heavy bright stock. I would in no way be surprised if it is the exact same product.

Ultimately, they both just massively increase viscosity via the mechanism of a huge dose of VII added to a very cheap base oil. The SDS sheets simply show that the Trans Fix product uses an even cheaper base oil and isn't quite as heavy.

You're getting clues. What fluid does it use? A DEX Merc? Like dex VI? Then you could try Valvoline maxlife AKA multi-vehicle. I've been using it in the Escalade that calls for Dex vi. It's thin and performs really well in the cold. Readily available at Walmart. You can try blending a few quarts to thin it out. See what happens.

Well Lucus was a waste.
Worse when cold.
Once it warms up it's better but car won't hardly move when cold
Did you change the filter? It probably wont help but I had a GM TH350 that would not move when cold and did a fluid and filter (a rock catcher at that) as a hail Mary and it went right into gear and drove fine and did so for years after,

Did you change the filter? It probably wont help but I had a GM TH350 that would not move when cold and did a fluid and filter (a rock catcher at that) as a hail Mary and it went right into gear and drove fine and did so for years after,
I had a similar experience with a 66 Ford Falcon that hadn't had a transmission service ever. I got it with a little over 100K miles and had the same issue. A pan drop and filter replace did the trick until the car was totaled while parked when I was working.

Back