Lucas Semi-Synthetic ATF for T-56 Tremec?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am approching 10K miles on my '02 Trans Am, and its approching time to change the Tranny fluid. I am trying to find a good transmission fluid for my Tremec T56 - six speed manual. I've heard that the Lucas semi-synthetic is a good replacement for the Dextron III ATF called for in my manual.
I want to know what people on this board think of the Lucas for this application (I did a board search for the Lucas ATF-there wasn't much info). I know not to use Moble 1 ATF-I've heard of all the problems with it in the T-56. I believe I read that some on this board mix 50/50 Redline MT with MTL.
dunno.gif

What are your recommendations for use?

Thanks all!

[ June 10, 2003, 08:25 AM: Message edited by: Weezz ]

I believe yours calls for "Synchromesh Manual Transmission Fluid". The only place I've been able to find this is at the dealer for about 10 bux. Unless you run it hard, I would not change the fluid until about 15,000 miles and every 30,000 after that. This is what a 30 year GM tech recommended to me, even though the owners manual on most GM cars calls for zero manual transmission fluid changes.
cheers.gif

Hmmm... If "semi-synthetic" refers to a finished blend of synthetic base stocks, probably predominently conventional base stocks, and an additive package, then would the term, "semi-conventional" be just as, or perhaps an even more accurate, description? Anyone?

Dale Wilcox with Lucas Oil left me a message on my machine. One of the things he said was "our semi-synthetic ATF handles heat better than a full synthetic". I thought that was one of the main advantages of synthetic - that it could take more heat than regular or semi-synthetic. He also said their ATF is thicker than full synthetic so it will work better in the T-56.
Here is a link to the spec sheet and the MSDS sheet:
http://www.lucasoil.com/Product_Details.cfm?Product_ID=23

This may be really good ATF, but I want to know what users on this board think, Mr. Wilcox works for Lucas so I know his opinion is biased.
Thanks.

[ June 11, 2003, 07:07 AM: Message edited by: Weezz ]

quote:

Originally posted by cousincletus:
I believe yours calls for "Synchromesh Manual Transmission Fluid". The only place I've been able to find this is at the dealer for about 10 bux. Unless you run it hard, I would not change the fluid until about 15,000 miles and every 30,000 after that. This is what a 30 year GM tech recommended to me, even though the owners manual on most GM cars calls for zero manual transmission fluid changes.
cheers.gif

Not correct, it calls for Dexron III ATF. There is a decal right on the trans to warn you not to use anything but.

I have a 2002 TA WS6 with 6 speed trans. I have Amsoil synthetic ATF in mine, also Amsoil 75W-90 Series 2000 gear lube in axle.

I have never heard of problems with this trans.

Here's what the Lucas is

From the MSDS
quote:

Components: Petroleum distillates, hydrotreated paraffinic oils, lube oil additive containing
functionalized dispersants, solvent extracted mineral oil.

[ June 11, 2003, 09:26 AM: Message edited by: Mike ]

quote:

Not correct, it calls for Dexron III ATF. There is a decal right on the trans to warn you not to use anything but.

I have a 2002 TA WS6 with 6 speed trans. I have Amsoil synthetic ATF in mine, also Amsoil 75W-90 Series 2000 gear lube in axle.

I have never heard of problems with this trans. [/QB]

'Dextron III ATF Only' decal can be found on the driver side. I have dino Havoline Dextron ATF in mine. The drain plug is on the passenger side and the filler plug is on the driver side. My advice for changing the fluid is that the oil will shoot out the drain hole horizontally about one foot! Make sure to have a big oil catch pan. You've been warned
smile.gif

[ June 11, 2003, 09:49 AM: Message edited by: TurboFrog ]

call TTC and ask. sometime in 1999 or 2000 the synchro ring material was changed so there's less of a chance of any fluid used attacking it.

according to TTC they ship the t56 factory-filled with mobil-1 atf, and say they have the best results with it, even though we all complain
dunno.gif

I drained the t56 on my 2002 SS around 8000 miles this past spring. shifting was getting lousy and 2nd gear was becoming a problem. The fluid looked almost brown coming out, maybe bad factory fill ? anyway I tried gm synchromesh for about 2000 miles and it works great. By the way, I know of another LS1 guy running synchromesh in his 1998 f-body t56 for more miles than me with only good things to say. So I seriously doubt the synchromesh fluid is going to hurt the t56 (a synchromesh transmission) even thought the sticker and manual say to use dexron3 atf.

I drained out the synchromesh last week (for warranty reasons because it's not red colored and car is going into dealer for leaking rear pinion seal) and filled it up with cheap $1/qt proline tranny fluid from pepboys. It shifts just as good as it did with synchromesh. I really should have drained the factory fill and used the cheap atf first, oh well. I also found out part of my shifting problem was my hurst billet; I put the oem one on there and it's as smooth as can be.
However it is warm out now, over the winter the shifting was horrendous when it was cold. with either shifter. I will be trying out redline hi-temp atf (dexron3 rated) soon, have it sitting in the garage, but I will run the proline for a couple thousand miles to get my use out of it since it works well now. The redline hi-temp atf has the same viscosity of synchromesh and redline mtl, around 10.0 cSt. Regular atf, mobil-1 or amsoil atf are below 8 cSt. I'm guessing this might be one possible reason for some notchy shifting problems, I'll know better once I use the hi-temp atf. Will have to wait till winter too to see how the higher viscosity fluid does when cold.

I wouldn't recommend mixing MTL with MT-90. I would go with either redline mtl or regular off the shelf dexron3 atf or the lucas before GM synchromesh simply because synchromesh is $10/qt only from the dealer and a dealer will have every right to void the tranny warranty if they want to. You can also find pennzoil/havoline synchromesh fluid in stores for around $6/qt I think.
If the lucas stuff is dexron3 and you're okay with the cost, then I say at least try it. If you don't like it then it's easy enough to drain and refill with cheap dexron3 atf. And I wouldn't worry too much about heat in a manual gearbox, especially the t56- it's huge with an aluminum case. Heat is only a significant factor in automatics that are high horsepower or drive a lot of weight.
like colin quin says, that's my story and i'm stickin' to it
smile.gif
hope this helps.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back