Lucas octane booster

TiGeo

$50 site donor 2024
At Walmart tonight b/c I needed to get some ethanol stabilizer (I use Lucas) for my 2 5gal cans I use to store E85 to use for blending in my Sportwagen. I struggle with winter fuel here in VA and getting a lot of timing correction which at times leads to power cuts as the ECU tries to protect the engine by dumping fuel to cool it down. I typically just add 2.5 gallons of "Flex Fuel" from Sheetz which has a range of ~50-80% ethanol....$2.56/gal...a bargain! I have a clean tank (no additional E) of Costco 93 in there currently and was having some issues getting power cuts etc. trying to hammer it WOT today b/c it's pulling too much timing. Decided to try this out, had read about it here:

So the math here is that this product mixed at a 100:1 ratio gives 30 points or 3 octane units according to that volvo article i.e. 93 bumped to 96. So, for the big $9 bottle at Wallyworld, that's 0.12 gallons (15 fl oz) to a 14.5 gallon tank should be 2.4 octane units if I did this right. Not bad. I I added this and drove a while...seems to be much more settled down. I should have logged it before but was just watching timing adjustments live with OBDEleven (VW scan tool) but will do some logs tomorrroww with the booster and see how different it might be. In the end much cheaper to add a few gallons of E85 here for $2.5/gal in the winter but figured I was at Walmart, screw it!

20211119_175316.jpg

Plus E85 won't foul plugs or O2 sensors or cats like MMT will with long term use.
Yes, I've heard this stuff turns your plugs orange! I have a race/high-flow catted downpipe so not overly concerned.

This Lucas Octane booster is a legit product. Saw a test done on it and it was as advertised.

Now... There's another possible option...

VP Octanium Unleaded. 10 gallon gas treatment = 7 numbers or 70 points. Typically $22 on sale at AAP.

Back in the day I would occasionally use Torco octane booster in my 87 Buick GN. Not a huge difference but it did have less spark knock under hard acceleration. It had a Hooker cat back exhaust with a test pipe, 30 lb injectors ?, high flow fuel pump, etc. Pretty mild setup but those minor mods really woke it up. The Torco would turn the plugs to a reddish/pinkish color as well.

Last edited:
Did a log today - definately power cuts/higher KR gone...works but still seeing some KR but minor. Smooth third gear pull from 2K to redline. Ethanol is cheaper and works better is my conclusion.

Capture.JPG

Toluene was used a lot but it's hard on stuff. Lots of the guys who imported S15 Silvia / R32 Skylines were coming in buying it at Sherwin Williams. I quit asking for DL for the Sheriff as they were dumping the 5 gallons in the tank before they left the lot so I knew they weren't making meth.

Plus E85 won't foul plugs or O2 sensors or cats like MMT will with long term use.
I've used Lucas and Rislone octane booster, both with MMT for over 20 years in a Ford Ranger. The key is to not use enough to foul or cause a build up. I use enough to raise octane about .5 to 1.0 numbers. The advantage of the Lucas product is top cylinder lubrication from the oil base, in addition to valve seat lubrication from the MMT. So this results in longer ring, cylinder and valve life, if that is what is desired.
For E85 make sure whatever additive you are using is compatible with the high amount of Alcohol content.

Back on the corn/E - curious if my plugs are orange from the few times I used the Lucas!

Back