Lubro-Moly Mos2 Antifriction Treatment

Status
Not open for further replies.
Here we go...I emailed the company about the size of the mos2 particles:

thank you very much for your mail, dtd. 28th July 2010 and for your interest in Lubro Moly products.

The size of the MoS2 particles is between 0,2 and 0,5 µm. A pore of an oil filter has normal a size of 35 µm and so more than the most of the MoS2 particles are more than 100 times smaller as an oil filter pore.

If you have any more question, contact us again!

With best regards from Ulm/Germany

i.A.
Dietmar Schmid

LIQUI MOLY GmbH
Anwendungstechnik/Application Engineering
Jerg-Wieland-Straße 4
D-89081 Ulm-Lehr

I added a full can to my 2005 Jeep Liberty CRD 2.8 L diesel last Sunday. Added it while the engine was idling, already warm after a 15 mile run, then drove it for another 20 miles.

Oil in the engine is Traveler 15W40 CI-4 from TSC, 7 quarts, approx 1500 miles on the oil, Mobil 1 M1-301 oil filter. 51500 miles on the vehicle.

150 miles so far since adding the Moly. Already a definite difference. Did a 50 mile 70 mph run on the interstate Wednesday morning. Normally the coolant temp gauge would be straight up at the 12 oclock position. Now, it refused to go any higher than the last mark BEFORE the 12 oclock position, even when fighting a 20 mph headwind in a vehicle with the aerodynamics of a brick at 70mph.

Friday morning we had a cold snap with temps down in the 30's. That diesel cranked right over and immediately began running as quietly as if it were fully warmed up. No valvetrain clatter. I was quite surprised. In previous winters, even with the old Rotella 5W40 or M1 5W40 TDT, it never started this quietly in temps this cold, and now to be this quiet with conventional 15W40 and the MoS2 additive?

I'm sold. I had been planning on switching to Amsoil HDD or ACD, due to my short trip commutes these days. But now, I may just try the LubroMoly 10W40 MoS2 instead. Ordered a sample pump and analysis kit to get a baseline and start tracking what's going on.

I've been in debate about using this product for some time. After several hours of reading here on BITOG as well as independent studies, reports, books, and bouncing the idea off my father (who knows about chemistry and science to be rather dangerous), I've given it a try.

I added about 2 ounces to the current fill in my truck after it was warmed up and still running. Audibly, I heard less noise in roughly under 2 minutes as it was idling.

I didn't expect any noise reduction, so this surprised me. I popped the hood the next day and cranked it up for my wife and father, and they too noticed the noise reduction.

I added around 4 ounces to the Honda and noticed no difference. I can somewhat conclude that, with it being at 17k miles, it might not have enough wear to make any noticeable differences.

I do not see the need to add an entire can - that seems a bit overkill.

Originally Posted By: bigmike
I do not see the need to add an entire can - that seems a bit overkill.

I agree -- one-half can (150 ml) is sufficient for any car with a 4-5 quart sump capacity.

Originally Posted By: demarpaint
I contacted the company, and they suggested adding the 300 Ml container every other OCI. It is not needed everytime you change the oil. It does do some plating of the engine internals so it stays around a while.

Or you could only use 1/2 bottle every oil change.

Yes, it also depends on who you speak with. It was posted somewhere on Bitog that it is safe at every OCI too. Alternating OCI's is fine as well. What I decided to do is after a full bottle initial treatment, 1 ounce/qt at each OCI seems to be doing the trick. My Aerostar had positive results in reduced oil consumption, and I attribute it to MoS2 and TCW3 in the gas.

An update on my earlier post on 11/07/2010 - I've since had a UOA done on my 2005 Jeep CRD. Done by Oil Analyzers Inc with a kit obtained via Amsoil. Sampled at 51775 miles, roughly 500 miles after adding a full can of LM MOS2 to the 7 quart sump. If you'd like to see the full UOA results, I posted a thread under the Diesel Passenger Cars section titled "Traveller 15w40 CI-4 w/ LM MOS2 - 2005 Jeep CRD" today 12/18/2010. For this thread, here are what I feel are the significant results -

Copper - 1
Moly - 261

There had been some concern over certain moly compounds corroding brass/copper fittings inside the engine, expressed here on this same thread. From this copper reading, it seems that LM is using a mixture/suspension/compound that doesn't affect copper alloy components. I spoke with a fellow CRD owner in Charlotte NC, who has been doing UOA's on his CRD long term with Blackstone - his copper readings have always came back as 0 or 1.

The moly concentration of 261 came from adding a full 300 ml can to a 7 quart sump. From what I've been able to learn, the Traveller oil it was added to, had zero moly to begin with. By comparison, Red Line advertises around 600 ppm moly in their synthetic oils. My friend in Charlotte is using Amsoil AMO 10W40 synthetic high zinc/phosphorous CI-4+, which he says upon testing contains around 40 to 50 ppm moly. So overall, I'm happy with a "middle of the road" concentration of 261.

Since the UOA, the noise level and cold weather performance of the engine has only continued to improve. My friend in Charlotte added a can to his CRD after my initial positive report to him, and he noted that even with the Amsoil 10W40 he was running, around 1200 miles after adding the MOS2, he noticed a definite change in the noise level and cold weather starting on his vehicle with temps down in the teens. I'm still at only 800 miles sice the addition, so it seems I need to get further run time on the engine to see the full benefit.

I think it was mentioned many times on the initial fill of 4-6qts you would use a whole bottle then after just a maintenance dose of 1oz per qt as allot of this stuff stays behind clinging to engine parts etc..

Originally Posted By: Boss302fan
I thought I read at Lubro Moly's website in the description that Bio Tech Engine Protectant does not contain Moly?

Bio tech doesn't contain ZDDP or any solid lubricants. It does in fact contain moly, however it is not the solid MOS2 lubricant that Lubro Moly contains. That is factual info from the lead chemist over at Lubegard. HTH

So the questions remains, what is best, a solid moly like Lubro Moly MoS2 or a soluble moly like in Lubegard or for that matter like in Red Line or Schaeffer's oils, or any other formulated oil with moly.

Originally Posted By: Johnny
So the questions remains, what is best, a solid moly like Lubro Moly MoS2 or a soluble moly like in Lubegard or for that matter like in Red Line or Schaeffer's oils, or any other formulated oil with moly.

I guess it depends on who you talk to! They both seem to work well.

I'm trying MoS2 in my Stratus right now. Things have been much smoother, but in part due to a timing service that was performed. I will be getting a UOA after at least 9 months or so and it'll be with Amsoil SSO. I added the entire can. This particular engine has a 5 quart capacity.

I'm also interested in trying the LubeGard EP w/ BT during my next OCI on the Civic. First, I'll see what the UOA looks like with just SSO. No doubts, just data collecting so far.
laugh.gif

Just found this thread after adding a can of Lubro-Moly at last weeks oil change. I've noticed the engine idles smoother. Will report back with my impressions.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back