Lubro-Moly Mos2 Antifriction Treatment

Status
Not open for further replies.
There is colloidal moly M0S2 which is moly powder suspended in an oil carrier and then there is Moly DTC or Moly DibutylDTC often called, "soluble moly." The latter is the only moly form now used in modern PCMO's and gear lubricants.

Most lubricant manufacturers have abandoned colloidal moly M0S2, so you don't know what you're getting when you purchase something like Lubromoly. I suspect they are using left over supplies of powdered moly.

Not over the counter.

Remember, new organic FM's will be replacing the organo-metallic FM's and AW adds.

Last edited:
Mola could you explain the difference between the two? and are any of the organic FM's already in use? What is the reason for the change? price, catalyst poisoning, sulfated ash???

The general trend is to reduce or eliminate metallic compounds (but not immediately) with the obvious reduction in metallic ash and an increase in fuel efficiency.

Alleged reasons for reduction are cat poisoning and valve deposits.

There are generally two classes of organic FM and AW's:

1. Polymers including PAO, ester, and Liquid Crystal polymers

2. Ceramic and carbon nano-particles suspended in a carrier oil.

And yes, some of the above are being used as organo-metallics are being reduced.

I used this stuff a few times back in the early '90's in my Honda Civic when we lived in New Hampshire. It was my commuter car and it was never garaged so it would often sit out all night in -10 to -20 degree weather and starting the car in the early morning was brutal. You could actually hear the engine making grinding sounds for the first few seconds. The moly completely eliminated that because it apparently had coated the engine parts and provided lubrication before the oil started circulating properly.

do you have any experience with that stuff? how do you now its MoDTC?

Originally Posted By: Taylor
do you have any experience with that stuff?

I bought a bottle of it a long time ago and add a small amount to my oil change. Bumps up the moly nicely.

Quote:
how do you now its MoDTC?

It's not the grey stuff. Plus it says so on the label.

Does anyone know will there be any effect on particle filter of modern diesel engines?? There is a reason why manufactures require modern oils with less additives

it stays suspended even in gasoline, dowsnt sag to the bottom. im talking about mos2. i wonder if redline uses mos2.

An online friend is sending me some MoS2 ultra fine 1.5 UM he uses to coat bullets. As far as how much to add to the oil is the big question. My guess would be about a teaspoon or two would be all that is needed for a 5 qt sump. I'm figuring to mix it into some oil with a small electric mixer and then shaking it up.

I have an old beater I want to try it in for the sake of experimentation. I was told most of it would stay in suspension, and the small amount the settles out will be quickly mixed back into suspension as soon as the car is started up.

Has anyone else tried this? If so how are you mixing it, and how much are you adding to a 5 qt sump? I realize I can mix some up and send it in for an analysis, I'm just looking for a good start point before doing that.

Thanks
AD

If my math is correct, 1 teaspoon of pure MoS2 in 5 quarts of oil would be a boost of 1042ppm.

4 quarts would be 1302ppm

6 quarts would be 868ppm

That's a lot of moly. If I were willing to try it, I'd do at most 1/4 teaspoon for a 5 quart sump, which would be a boost of about 260ppm.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back