Lubro Moly 10w40 MOS2 5453k- 99 Bmw M3

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ok, this is my first UOA ever. Did it at a local place(which Ive read about a bit on here). Pricey as can be so I wont be doing this often unfortunately.
Probably just do the next one and then not worry about it for a while. Why this oil? I was at the shop and was thinking about the usual synthoil 5w40 synthetic but the guy said I should try this and I figured..WTH , might as well.

1999 BMW M3. Thats US spec s52 powered.
Car had 65k miles when I changed Lubro moly OUT for some GC 0w30.

Used Lubro Moly Oil has 5453k Miles on it for this sample.

Fe 42
Cr 2.2
Ni 0.2
Ti 0.0
Ag 0.0
Al 6.0
Pb 0 42
Cu 7.6
Sn 2.2
Si 12
Na 101
K 12
B 1.5
Ba 0.0
Mo 8.3
Mg 15
Ca 2210
P 670
Zn 805
S 2476
Be 0.0
Cd 0.0
Mn 65
V 0.2
Sb 1.5
Glycol NEG
Soot(%) 0
Oxid(PA) 40
Nitr(PA) 47
Sulf(PA) 49
ZDDP 16.7
TBN
TAN 5.43
Kv@100°C 10.6

Quote:
All component wear rates are normal. There is no indication of any contamination in the component. The condition of oil is suitable for further service

This wasnt a long range oil so I figured that was good enough mileage on it, but looks like it couldve gone further. I dont know why it doesnt list TBN. I specifically asked for it and they said it would come with it so ill have to inquire about that.

Pretty good oil imho but Ill let the experts go over the numbers. This was the first oil I put into on this car. I did not get the previous oil(that was in the car when I bought it) analyzed. But going off this things look good.
As mentioned I am running GC 0w-30 now. And with the price it is locally(lately) ill likely keep running it as its much cheaper now than it used to be(ya I know old formula but my car isnt exactly new and if it works well Im happy). Its actually cheaper than rotella(even the non synthetic).

picture of the oil
lubro-moly-anti-friction-oil2.jpg

My oil filter was perfectly fine. This stuff wont clog it up.

Originally Posted By: Terminal
I dont know why it doesnt list TBN. I specifically asked for it and they said it would come with it so ill have to inquire about that.

Getting A TBN would be nice.

hrmmm the cst at 100 looks low for this oil...unless over its life its gone from a 14.x(listed on their website) to 10.6 in that short amt of time?
mixed up samples maybe or false advertising by lubro moly?

The iron is high compared to many UOA on here, but in reality, is it really that bad ? I think some on here are just so used to the super low figures hehe.

It seems to be a high mileage formula from the bottle. I love the lack of moly in the liqui moly.

My Honda Dealer just charges $12-15 to change the oil if I bring my own oil and filter. Shop the price.

Originally Posted By: FZ1
My Honda Dealer just charges $12-15 to change the oil if I bring my own oil and filter. Shop the price.
That is a real good price.

Originally Posted By: vxcalais
The iron is high compared to many UOA on here, but in reality, is it really that bad ? I think some on here are just so used to the super low figures hehe.

It seems to be a high mileage formula from the bottle. I love the lack of moly in the liqui moly.
But then there are no shells in Shell oil!!
27.gif

ya im a bit surprised by the lack of moly. lol

im seriously wondering if they mixed up samples... :/

the oil poors out grey in colour(due to the mos2 additive) and stayed that way over its life.
strange. looks like i have to do some investigating.

Low CST, High Iron and very high levels of manganese (a gasoline additive). With fuel dilution you see cylinder washing down the cylinder bores causing high iron from the piston rings though I'm not sure whether the bores in yor bmw are nikasil. The fuel dilution affects the viscosity and that could explain the 10.2 CST when it should be around 12.4 at least. The manganese, found in gasoline is left behind in the sump even if the fuel dilution is presently burned off.

All of these things point to fuel dilution in my mind. Too bad they didn't give you flash and a fuel number.

Start by checking your air filter and make sure it's clean, followed by plugs for proper gap and then I'd look at your PCV system (more difficult on BMWs I know). Hopefully it was just because of short trips and cold weather from the previous owner.

Ya I hope so.
Though they sorta did give me me a fuel number

CONTAMINATION

There is no indication of any contamination in the component.
Sample Current
Silicon 12
Potassium 12
Sodium 101
Fuel (%) Glycol NEG
Water (%) Soot (%) 0
Sulfation 49
Nitration 47

I appreciate the help/comments.

My fuel mileage has been great to. Not that it would kill it but the car runs well. Air filter is good. plugs are decent and pcv/system seems to be working fine though i havent checked it

Ok so I called the place. apparently because the oil was not in their system they didnt test it for fuel *facepalm*

i guess it was the techs decision to do that. So Im getting it retested for that, and ALSO a tbn (which i was told would be done anyways).

ugh. So sometime early next week we will have those numbers.
pretty sure the engine doesnt have nikasil cylinder walls

Has anyone figured out why this stuff has (virtually) no moly? False advertising? Wrong oil tested? Seems weird.

It seems that there is some mistake.
The level of zinc and phosphorus is too small for the European oil with ACEA, no molybdenum (in this oil should be about 300 ppm), the viscosity at 100 degrees is too small.
This analysis looks like normal Api SM/gf-4 5-30 oil.
p.s.Sorry for my English.

Last edited:
Sorry for not being around.

I had the exact same thoughts are voiced here. I got them to retest for fuel and tbn.

fuel 1% (which is fine)
and tbn is at 6.98...

the oil has 5k miles on it? I wouldnt think it would still be that high?

something is definitely wrong here :/

*sigh* so much for paying $50 for this. I am going to give them a call tomorrow.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back