Lubrizol PV1016 use IL technology? API PCMO 0w-16

Status
Not open for further replies.
If we do get a low-visc 0w-16 IL-enhanced fully formulated motor oil out of this PV1016 thing, then I guess it won't be possible to mix it with other motor oils, since IL might not be compatible with older formulations. Might it work with a Fuchs non-zinc motor oil mix, to raise the overall viscosity in the sump for "30 weight" applications?

Lubrizol is saying this additive is for mid-SAPS oil, so would that keep it from being the Ionic Liquid additive?

Originally Posted By: CrawfishTails
Is the new Lubrizol PV1016 additive
http://fuelsandlubes.com/oiltrends/lubri...ity-lubricants/
which is designed to enable the use of low-viscosity motor oil in the near future, use Ionic Lubricants (IL) ?
I know that Lubrizol, GM, and Oak Ridge National Labs have been researching IL's use in low-visc lubes for years now. Finally a pre-product?
Tougher question: Can I get my hands on some?

There is no indication that IL's are being used. They are still being tested.

This is not an Over-the-Counter additive and unless you are a lubrication chemist, formulator or a blender, I doubt you can obtain any.

Thanks MolaK, although I wish the news was better.
Wonder what's in there.
I guess I'll just keep dropping in innocuous Polymer Ester in there to bump up some wear performance for now.

Lubrizol, a recent acquisition by the Sage of Omaha for Berkshire Hathaway. A high up in the company lost his job over this acquisition that had the smell of insider trading.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back