Lubriplate p/n L0981

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is a synthetic for a 1947 power wagon winch that has lots of brass and bronze in it is there a comparable non synthetic for an application like this ? It doesn't get used enough for $30 a quart oil that leaks a little thanks Paul.

StaLube SL24239 – API/GL-4 Multi-Purpose Gear Oil should work well.

It probably has a worm drive and so it doesn't need a GL-5 lube.

It is a worm drive but all I hear is about bronze and brass non compatability and the wrong oil for this could cost thousands or even not be repairable because of part availability, thanks Paul.

Originally Posted By: Ramblejam
Hi, Paul.

E.P. 140 gear oil is available at a reasonable price.

http://amzn.com/B000M8IHI2 ($6.25/quart)

+1
thumbsup2.gif

The winch is low speed, the thicker the better.

Originally Posted By: Greasymechtech
Use the correct fluid.

Who said a specialized synthetic lubricant was correct?

I would encourage you to find out what fluid is the standard recommendation for worm gear winches.

Hint: You'll find the answer in a response above.
wink.gif

AGMA 8a compound gear oil for worm drives. At Craig Generating Station we used a Conoco product called Inca Oil in the worm gear drives for our coal conveyor tripper cars .Seems I recall that Inca Oil started out as a steam cylinder lubricant. It has been 18 years since I retired and I can still remember that because I wrote the original PMs for the unit 1 and 2 coal handling system thirty five years ago. I do vaguely recall that we replaced the Inca Oil in those gear drives with a synthetic oil. Probably a Mobil product.

Originally Posted By: Ramblejam
Originally Posted By: Greasymechtech
Use the correct fluid.

Who said a specialized synthetic lubricant was correct?

The title of this thread is

Thank you for the recommendation I will give it a try. The luberplate is very expensive and I believe not needed for once in a while use. I never realized how complex these issues can become.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back