Lubrilon

Status
Not open for further replies.
Has anyone on this forum done oil analysis showing before and after using Lubrilon? I've tried searching and didn't find much info on Lubrilon at all prior to 2003. One article someone posted had basically bashed all oil additives claiming none of them work (very close to true), but unfortunately the article improperly labeled Lubrilon as a PTFE product. Lubrilon is extremely adamant that they do not use Teflon and that Teflon is very bad for your engine.

I've read plenty of info about Lubrilon, and I printed out an approval from the FAA allowing it to be used in aircraft engines. Do you know how almost impossible it is to get FAA approval for an oil additive? RAM aircraft (engine builder) recommends using it because it reduces friction 30% at takeoff power among all the added benefits of less fuel use etc.

I tend to believe it works when the FAA approved it, and RAM recommends it. The idea is that you treat your engine once, and it builds a permanent bond of 1-2 micron thick material. They also give the name and address of every lab that tested it around the world, including the US Department of Energy, and NASA. They even post a copy of the letter from the US Department of Energy for further proof, unlike all the other additive companies that purposely hide that information...

Lubrilon, for the sake of history, is the original formula that was used in 1975 where they supposedly treated an engine, then drove it for almost 5,000 miles with no oil. Then they did a tear down and it looked great. Later on Lubrilon merged and was sold as Slick 50. After a few years Slick 50 began adding Teflon to try and help sales, since Teflon is much easier to understand as being slippery etc. Lubrilon stopped supplying their formula to Slick 50 specifically because they had changed the formula and added Teflon, but Slick 50 kept using the old customer testimonials anyway even though it was a dangerous formula with a ton of Teflon in it. After that, the FTC sued Slick 50 for false claims and damaged engines.

However, since 1975 the FTC still has not sued Lubrilon for all it's claims of friction reduction, mileage increases, and less wear on internal engine parts. That in itself speaks volumes in my opinion. I'd think the FTC would have sued them by now, since they are pretty much the original company to run engines without oil and use that as their advertisement.

Quote:
the original formula that was used in 1975 where they supposedly treated an engine, then drove it for almost 5,000 miles with no oil.

Chlorinated Paraffin.

So is that a good thing or bad thing? It's alkaline based which I'm sure is good since most things turn to acid in the combustion chamber- from what I've read so far. However I see that some countries are trying to ban CP's because they're bad on the environment. ....why is it that every chemical that works so great always ends up being bad for the environment? (like R-12, asbestos, etc)

Well I can't find the MSDS for Lubrilon (sounds shady), but it does have Teflon in it from what I found in hard to find links etc. They just go out of their way (Lubrilon) to bash Teflon products and say they don't have it in their product....even though it IS in their product under a different name of Pfl. It's made through a company called Comalloy and the material is called "Nylon 6", in other words it's Teflon. As for Chlorinated Parafin, looks like that's another bad product as it doesn't last long. The positive effect is better mileage, the negative affect is it creates corrosion under high temps.

So basically what I learned so far is that although Lubrilon may actually increase mileage as advertised, it will NOT last forever. In fact if I was to put Lubrilon in every time the mileage drops off I will probably cause it to corrode (if indeed its a Chlorinated Parafin).

Guess they never got sued by the FTC because the US Department of Energy, and the FAA (both US goverment agencies) have basically endorsed/approved it's use.

I would be very careful to order anything from this company.
It is not possible to reach them on mail or phone.
Their phone is not working.
I asked some questions to xcelplus(sister company)and Bill Smith, via e-mail.
I got an answer, but now, all their e-mail accounts seem to have been shut down.

Doing business with anyone of them, would be like playing roulette.

I had placed an order (unfortunately) several weeks ago. I never heard from them, and began emailing and calling them. Like you said, their phones and email are both not working..... I contacted paypal and got the email address for Bill, who's name is listed and the recipient of my payment.

I contacted him demanding a refund and he's supposedly got it taken care of. He's now restructuring and says that he hasn't been involved with Lubrilon any more, someone else was in charge of it, and they're now going to be fired from the company. He's shutting the company down until everyone is refunded and things are back in order.

I told him I learned about Lubrilon allegedly containing Chlorinated Parafins and it's own brand of teflon. His reply was this:

"Lubrilon does not contain chlorinated paraffin’s never has never will. The formula was tested at NASA to verify this for the FAA as this is FAA accepted for engines up to 1000 HP. Also verified for the US Army at Fort Hood TX to show no chlorinated polymers, PTFE, Moly, or other metals I will send the MSDS with this.

Thanks,"

So I also have the MSDS as well. I'll try to figure out how to post that on this thread. The MSDS of course doesn't disclose all the ingredients, some of them are trade secret....hmmm wonder why if it's patented then who cares, just tell me what I'm putting in my engine.

Info bump. I've seen TV advertising increased over the last month or two.

A quick post here on experience with Lubrilon. My wife has a 1997 Kia Sephia. At just over 100,000 miles it began jumping time on a regular basis. That motor doesn't have cam bearings on the head so myself (longtime gearhead) and a very respected engine guy I know decided it was probably a nick in the journal causing the cam to have problems. The car isn't worth much so I researched additives. I then chose Lubrilon and added it to the Kia to try to save it. Today, with 153,000 miles on it, that car can drive up behind you and you won't hear it until it's very, very close. It starts everytime without hesitation, never even gets close to hot with the A/C wide open in the hot NC summers and hasn't jumped time since I added Lubrilon. She has a Ford Edge in new condition with 50,000 miles on it but drives the Kia every day instead of the Edge. I put Lubrilon in my Aurora (Northstar engine) and went over 200,000 miles before I did something stupid and messed up the engine. I have not dealt with the company in more than a year so I can't speak to admin probs but I promise you the product works.

I have used it twice in a 2002 Honda CRV and a 2006 Jeep Cherokee both at ~ 100k miles ...I found that after application around 1000 miles you got a small "repeatable" boost in mileage on my 4 cyl crv of around 1-2 mpg ! BUT then after around 5k miles the gains totally disappeared and mileage went back to normal. In my straight 6 Jeep I saw absolutely no mpg gains ? CRV saw highway miles, Jeep was city driving .It certainly didnt hurt anything and if there is a lasting coating of some sort in there that can protect in the event of oil loss or starvation I am all for it . There are some pretty amazing testimonials of total oil loss and engines surviving and even a plane losing oil but safely landing.

Regarding MOS2 I bought a can of that and ran it in my crv and actually saw my mileage go down. I cant explain it , it makes no sense at all but it definitely went down. I changed my oil after 5k miles to my regular oil and mileage went straight back to normal. I know this sounds fishy but it was my experience. Ps I also got it on my clothes when I popped - ripped off the plastic top and it stained my shirt permanently ha ha . So dont get that on your clothes. PS I do 400 miles a week min and 20k a year . I watch my gas gage like a hawk and record all my weekly results. So it wasnt a fluke. Again I cant explain it - just my personal experience. I have read many racing stories to the contrary that MOS2 works and made race cars run cooler. PS with Lubrilon I never saw a change in my idle characteristics - it idled the same before during and well after I drained it at 5k miles.

Last edited:
There is a question from this very old thread as to whether this company still exists. Snake oil IMO!! Fwiw--Oldtommy

Three posts from two people who have never posted about anything else. And they are glowing too. They just joined up to talk about positive experiences with one product?

Maybe nothing there, but something smells a little fishy.

I used to be interested in every oil supplement that came out and I tried a few that seemed reputable. I guess I didn't really trust the oil companies to come out with good lubricants.

Today I have pretty much decided that just about all of these oil supplements are a joke and the average person will be better off just using a good quality motor oil, either conventional or synthetic.

There are a few exceptions. I still like Lubegard products. I still use a few products like Sta-bil and I still use some fuel system cleaners. A guy who went by the user name of Johnny (he had worked for Pennzoil) said in one of his posts that gasoline is nasty stuff and a fuel system cleaner is worthwhile occasionally. There are a few products that seem worthwhile like Bars Leaks, MMO, and Kreen. Right now other than an occasional fuel system cleaner, MMO, and Sta-bil I am not using anything other than motor oil.

Xcelplus and Lubrilon are the same thing. Just look for Xcelplus info and you'll find the documents you're looking for.

The easiest way to figure out that wear has gone down in an engine is to use a magnetic sump plug. If the amount of metal on the plug decreases (at an oil change)... then the wear has decreased.

That's the simplest and generally most accurate way to check it's working.

An oil analysis will give you an exact number for the wear reduction if you do one before and after treatment.

:)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back