Lubricate hinges and latches without harming plastic/rubber long term

I used to use a white grease spray after being told it was the best type of product for this application but absolutely hated the mess it made and thought it wasn't penetrating as well as an oil and not doing much in the end. For many years i've been using whatever is laying around, 3-in-one, ATF or SAE 30 at least twice a year or more on the cars i service. I do that on all hinges and latches as well as throttle likages etc. Is there a product i should favor or am i good with any of them? I was thinking about some kind of grease on latches instead of oil but my other worry is that the products i use may harm plastics long term when they come in contact, e.g. some door latch mechanism. What do you recommend? Can i stick to what i'm doing? Spending money on other products seems foolish unless you convince me otherwise. I despise spray lubricants however.

Last edited:
ATF and SAE 30 oil is as benign as a hinge lube gets. When I do remember to lube my door hinges, I tend to reach for a penetrating lube to work into the bushings. Avoid things with “hot” solvents, acetone and toluene.

Some cars, like older Mercedes had a provision to use a flush-tipped grease gun to inject grease into the hinges.

I used to try to find Wurth HHS2000, but it's pretty hard to find.

I've come to like Boeshield T-9

Tough but safe. T-9 will not harm paint, plastic, rubber, fiberglass or vinyl. It can be used on engines, wiring and belts. T-9 is nonconductive and will not cause short circuits, so it’s also safe to use on electronics. To use T-9 on engines, apply when the engine is still warm but not running.

In areas that I or someone else may brush up against I use Wax based bicycle chain lube. It comes in a spray or squeeze bottle.It resists wash out and when it gets old and hard you just have hard wax that still lubes because its not a carrier its the actual lube. I still use white lithium grease on car door and tail gate hinges though.

VAG have a spray oil that’s used for door locks, hinges, check straps and bonnet catches. It’s good stuff but it’s at least £30 a tin.

In areas that I or someone else may brush up against I use Wax based bicycle chain lube. It comes in a spray or squeeze bottle.It resists wash out and when it gets old and hard you just have hard wax that still lubes because its not a carrier its the actual lube. I still use white lithium grease on car door and tail gate hinges though.
I was going to mention that too or Tri-Flow with Teflon.

I had a gas flap hinge on a 94 Camry that was not smooth opening. One day I forced it open to get the gas nozzle in there and the darn thing fell off in my hand. I was so pissed I flung it under the car. The hinge was a steel pin going through two holes. Cheap of a hinge you could make and still call it a hinge. If I had just dropped a drop of oil from a dipstick in there it would never have happened.

When I got to look at it I realized the hinge was glued to the gas flap. So I glued it and taped it for a day. Worked like a champ after I lubed it and glued it back.

I did pick it up from under the car.

I had a gas flap hinge on a 94 Camry that was not smooth opening. One day I forced it open to get the gas nozzle in there and the darn thing fell off in my hand. I was so pissed I flung it under the car. The hinge was a steel pin going through two holes. Cheap of a hinge you could make and still call it a hinge. If I had just dropped a drop of oil from a dipstick in there it would never have happened.

When I got to look at it I realized the hinge was glued to the gas flap. So I glued it and taped it for a day. Worked like a champ after I lubed it and glued it back.

I did pick it up from under the car.

Probably all scratched up from your throwing it.

I picked this up at Wally’s. Works just fine.

VAG have a spray oil that’s used for door locks, hinges, check straps and bonnet catches. It’s good stuff but it’s at least £30 a tin.
This stuff
5B5A9E7E-814E-4A37-9DA9-AD8C5D4AC80B.jpeg

I’ve used dry Teflon lube, very clean. Not sure how much it really helps though. Fluid film would be a good option but you’ll definitely need to wipe off excess and over spray. I like the idea of super-lube but I wonder if there are any good penetrating spray greases out there.

Back