Lubegard "red" - just because ?

How many people use Lubegard Synthetic ATF Protectant just because or as an added benefit (if it is) ? I have a bottle of the stuff that I bought sometime ago to use in an older Accord I had and I'm tempted to use some in my '08 G35 or maybe our '12 Civic. Part of me is saying "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" and both transmissions are running fine (hope I didn't jinx them !!). I use DW-1 in the Civic (bought it at 126k) and changed it at 126k, 127k, 134k, and 155k and the G35 (bought it at 105k) has been changed at 108k, 113k, 116k, and 130k. It's due for another change now at 167k (bought the fluid in the past week). The frequent changes previously were done to get as much fresh, new fluid in as possible.

Would you add some Lubegard ? If it does nothing, oh well.... If it helps, great.

And I'm not getting ahead of things here, but Lubegard says add 1 oz per quart of ATF. Do they mean the # of quarts changed or full capacity of the transmission ? The G35 drains and refills ~3.5 quarts so that would be 3.5 ounces or do they mean 10-11 ounces for the full capacity of 10.8 quarts ?

Lubegard Red is legit, and I’ve used it in the past. I used to pair it with VML ATF.

However, I recently switched to HPL Green and the transmission shifts better than it ever has, regardless of VML and/or LR. I believe it’s just another confirmation of the oft-repeated wisdom here that there are fluids that may work, and then there are the correct fluids.

Additives, whether for oil or ATF, are merely a bandaid and do not truly address the issue.

It is a good product that works however a healthy properly maintained transmission does not need an additive.

If you do intend to use it on a good transmission I would maybe at least use half of the recommended amount.

It is a good product that works however a healthy properly maintained transmission does not need an additive.

If you do intend to use it on a good transmission I would maybe at least use half of the recommended amount.

I sortof agree with most of that, or did.

Even properly maintained, 10R80 valve bodies seem to be both wearing and sticking for some reason* and the LG appears to keep them moving/functioning better than they do with just normal fluid changes.

*Of course, the abnormal wearing is Ford's fault for their material/engineering choices.

My 2002 Volvo V70 had a choppy transmission. I had headaches from two possible sources.
Aside from whatever bad parts Ford designated, the "stop neutral function" had, at some point, been removed with no record of when.
Because LubeGard red was recommended by people here, I tried it. It improved operation.

How many times has this come up?

Come to think of it, there aren't many additive products which come up.
I'd guess the car wash, soap and waxes etc. would be the most populated.

To continue the nauseam: I use it in my current vehicles too.

Ha I should have said, "To add to the nauseam" (get it-get it?)

I used it in a high mileage 6R80 and it shifts like new. With the solenoids and lead frame issues you want to keep things as clean as possible. I was advised by a reputable trans rebuilder here - it goes in almost service and rebuild he sends out the door (some exceptions, not Ford though). Only used one bottle (a bit less than suggested). The F150 has a real trans temp digital gauge and it is also bit cooler than without.

Lubegard seems to work. I heard about it 30 years ago from 2 trans shops that seemed legit and sent all their work out with it. Also heard about it on a Seattle radio show regarding car repair. They were local guys who knew their stuff, and didn’t seem to have a hype mentality.

Now, I have probably close to 1.5 million miles on the various vehicles I have put it in. I don’t know what it is like to not use it. Zero transmission issues, except for a 1996 LS400 that decided to select 2 gears at the same time by itself on the highway. Limped it home, drained the clutch filled fluid changed filter and flushed. Still runs and shifts normally to this day, thousands of miles later. I still don’t know why that happened. Maybe LG helped save that trans.

Lubegard seems to work. I heard about it 30 years ago from 2 trans shops that seemed legit and sent all their work out with it. Also heard about it on a Seattle radio show regarding car repair. They were local guys who knew their stuff, and didn’t seem to have a hype mentality.

Now, I have probably close to 1.5 million miles on the various vehicles I have put it in. I don’t know what it is like to not use it. Zero transmission issues, except for a 1996 LS400 that decided to select 2 gears at the same time by itself on the highway. Limped it home, drained the clutch filled fluid changed filter and flushed. Still runs and shifts normally to this day, thousands of miles later. I still don’t know why that happened. Maybe LG helped save that trans.
i didn't know lexus's came with trans brakes

Back