Lubegard in a GM transfer case?

I once compared the spec sheets on the Valvoline Tcase fluid and Maxlife, I'm pretty sure the Tcase fluid is just Maxlife in a different bottle. Maxlife is also listed as AutoTrak II compatible.
I think I'd be tempted to put about 1/2 a quart of Lucas Oil Stabilizer and fill it the rest of the way with ATF and see what happened.

I recently ran a detailed analysis on Maxlife, Valvoline Transfer Case fluid, GM Transfer Case and Transmission fluid, and GM AutoTrackII and I can you they all have different chemical compositions, so they are not all the same.

Pheel

Last edited:
I have a 2017 Chevrolet 3500HD with an electronic shift, chain driven transfer case. I was thinking about adding a couple ounces of Lubegard Platinum to my transfer case on the next fluid change. The transfer case calls for Dexron VI. Is there any reason to not add Lubegard Platinum to the transfer case?

There is no real reason to add it as there will be no significant increase in anti-wear capabilities.

Keep in mind, the GM transfer cases were changed to Magna Powertrain in 2007/08 . They spec’d Dex 6. Different models had different fluid specs prior to 2007. One screwup by GM is that the GM parts computers were still spec’ng Autotrac II in my 2008 which should have really been Dex 6. Anyway, I continued to usage Autotrac II and I now have 200,000 miles on the transfer case with lots of 4WD use in the winter. My change last year still had a collection of filings after 4 years since the previous change. I plan to change every two years.

Last edited:
There is no real reason to add it as there will be no significant increase in anti-wear capabilities.
What about ease of shifting … ?
My GM electronic is an easy shift but my Jeep manual is very hard and I hear the linkage is not the greatest
(I have owned 4WD’s for decades and many have been manually shifted)
Would a Redline ester based potentiality help ?

This post was is about the Platinum product. The reps from LubeGard said that it would help: https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/threads/lubegard-in-a-gm-transfer-case.329479/post-5479814
LXE is basically an ester with very long chain: https://www.lubegard.com/technology/
Why do you think it won't add anything?

The reps from ILI will tell you what you want to hear in order to sell you a product.

My answer was and still is:
Molakule said:

Op how many miles were on the truck when you changed it? I did mine at 32,000 and it looked fine. I have a 2017 3500HD
I would changed it more frequently it I were you and skip and additives.

Go for it, everything i've put LG in results in smoother operation of the unit.
A family member has a low mileage 05 Trailblazer with a 4L60e. I dropped the pan and changed the filter and did a cooler line flush with Maxlife. The transmission was shifting fine before the fluid change and slightly better after. It has always shifted a little slow in my opinion, it almost kinda hangs up a bit between shifts but not abnormally enough to be a problem. I would consider the slow shifting to be normal for it. My parents bought it in 2005 with 1,800 miles on it and it now has 64k miles now.
Back in March (about 1,000 miles ago) I sucked 12 ounces of Maxlife out through the dipstick tube and added 12 ounces of Lubegard Platinum to the Valvoline Maxlife in this Trailblazer. The slight delay between shifts is gone and I can honestly say that this is the best this transmission has shifted and felt in the 15 years that it has been in the family. It’s not my vehicle but I do all the maintenance on it and drive it often enough to know what’s going on with it. Any subsequent fluid changes will be getting Lubegard Platinum at a dosage of 1 oz per quart of ATF.

You use the 4x4 a lot? I expect some saving and to be honest that isn't horrible for a break in change. What did the fluid look like? Mine was still pretty clean at 32,000?
All the time, this truck does a lot of heavy hauling with a gooseneck and sees some off-road use while towing, so I do tow quite a bit while in 4x4. Like I said before, I think Dex VI is doing just fine and I don’t think my transfer case is dying or anything. I’m just wanting to experiment a bit and see what, if any difference the Lubegard might make. I know a few guys that do some racing in 4x4 with this same transfer case and their magnet shows more metal than mine with far less miles. The attached pic is a guy that does boosted launches in 4x4 and this is after about 7k miles of abuse. This isn’t its first change either.
93108FD5-BA12-49C5-9328-99F2759E5A4D.jpeg

Here what the magnet looked like on the 2016 when I changed the transfer case fluid this time. The truck has 72,099 miles and 5,441.6 engine hours. This fill was in service for 26,177 miles and 2,291.7 engine hours. The fluid was still red, but it was starting to get pretty dark. I filled the transfer case with Pennzoil Dex VI/Mercon LV that I got on clearance at Home Depot a couple years ago for $1 per quart. I added about 3 ounces of Lubegard Platinum to the first quart of fluid that I put in the transfer case and then finished filling the transfer case with the second quart of ATF.
B68E2EC4-DBD7-4A94-9018-89E8393ACDF9.jpeg

The old fluid was getting dark but it was still red.
2ED54E0D-1A01-4987-9921-24FFCD2FE7E5.jpeg

93C5F163-AE7B-4923-973D-7FA03DC2EAEB.jpeg
EB7090D8-1871-4DB2-A148-DF192B7667C7.jpeg

Here is what the magnet looked like at the first fluid change on this truck at 45,922 miles and 3,149.9 engine hours.
9337D599-313B-4427-A203-F694C6D31F6E.jpeg

I was wondering can I use the lubegard anti shudder fix 2 oz additive in my np246 t case on my 2001 Silverado it takes autotrac 2?

I was wondering can I use the lubegard anti shudder fix 2 oz additive in my np246 t case on my 2001 Silverado it takes autotrac 2?
You can put anything you want in there but the Anti-Shudder will do nothing for you
unless your Transfer Case has a lock-up torque converter.

What problem are you trying to fix, and have you changed the fluid already with the AutoTrak2 or Valvoline TC fluid?

What problem are you trying to fix, and have you changed the fluid already with the AutoTrak2 or Valvoline TC fluid?
I thought the anti shudder is concentrated friction modifier additive isn't that what is in the autotrac2? I don't have the problem with my truck asking for a buddy his has chain noise.

Back