LTX MS2 tread depth

Status
Not open for further replies.
Out of curiosity I measured my LTX MS2's last night. 9 to 10 32's left. Fronts have 10, rears have 9; I think the rear tires have 1k more miles than the front; 9 to 10kmiles (need to check records, but one pair was replaced due to balance issues shortly after purchase). I went to look up P255/70R18's on tirerack but my size does not show tread depth. Should I presume 12 to 13 is the fresh size?

For reference, I also measured the tires I just put on my Camry, which have less than 2k on them; I measured 10/32's. Tirerack says it should have had 11/32's so my cheapo Slime tread depth gauge may read 1/32 low -- which I'm not shocked at, and makes me want to measure tires when they go on, for proper tire wear monitoring.

Michelinman.com says that your starting tread depth is 11.5/32":

http://www.michelinman.com/tire-selector/size/255/70/18/OE/BNW/ltx-m-s2/tire-details

You've worn them at a rate of about 2/32" every 10k miles, give or take. If you use 8/32" of tread (and wear them down to 3.5/32"), you can probably figure that'll take 40k more miles. If you go to 60k total miles on the tires, you'll probably be down close to the wear bars.

And that's about right. They have a 70k mile warranty, so it looks like you'll be close. Maybe a little short, but in the ballpark.

Ah--I missed the "more" button. Duh. Thanks!

Yeah, based upon my cars, I don't expect full tread rating. Since I don't drive this truck as hard as my cars, maybe it'll get closer--or I might decide to remove tires long before wear bars (as I ought) and won't care.

Tires sometime wear slower as the tread wears...and I'm sure the opposite is true for others as well.

I don't pay much attention to tread life warranties; I look closer at the UTQG treadwear rating...this one seems to more closely correlate to what I get in the real world. I multiply that treadwear rating by 90 or 100 and that's about what I get out of tires. Your tires show 720 I believe. I'd expect 65,000-72,000 miles...or somewhere close to that.

Sometimes my little UTQG formula lines up with the stated tread life warranty, and sometimes it doesn't.

I replaced mine at 76K (had an I-beam destroy one of the original set and then later a piece of steel destroyed the replacement) and at 76K, I had 4/32 on the lowest one and 6/32 on the other two. These tires last a LONG time and the wear definitely slows as they age.

Originally Posted By: 2010_FX4
**FINAL UPDATE**

I picked up a steel bar in one of them yesterday and it was the one that was replaced from the I-Beam incident. The remaining 3 had 4/32", 6/32", and 6/32" tread remaining. While I am certain the two with 6/32" would have lasted to 90K, I went ahead and replaced all of them (I only had to pay for 3 of them).

Bottom line--these tires lasted 76K miles (and would have likely lasted to 85K-90K) versus 51K for the OEM Pirelli Scorpions under the same driving conditions. For a truck tire, I will not use anything else. Although I did not expect to buy 3 new tires this morning; I like the fact that I have 4 new ones in plenty of time for the drive to Key West in early summer
cheers3.gif

Wife's Wrangler has the LTX M/S with 160k miles, still enough tread depth to be ok in the rain. (Honest Abe told me). Will probably replace before next winter.

Originally Posted By: Kuato
Wife's Wrangler has the LTX M/S with 160k miles, still enough tread depth to be ok in the rain. (Honest Abe told me). Will probably replace before next winter.

Unreal. I have heard of them hitting 100k miles before, but you got the record!

Originally Posted By: SteveSRT8

Unreal. I have heard of them hitting miles before, but you got the record!

Hey Steve,

Almost 2 weeks ago, I had a member come in to replace his M/S2's that he purchased from us on his Ram 1500. He had all of his rotation history from our stores, and these tires had 181,213 miles on them. Tread was flush with the wear indicators at 2/32". They were installed at 32,997. The guy is some sort of independent equipment contractor. He told me that he drives anywhere from Detroit to Florida, Texas, Washington State, Wyoming, and everything in between. in the 50k/year range. He illiterately had them rotated at Costco's all across the country while he was on the road lol. He said his driving habits are mainly hwy(of course) and that hes never in a hurry. Whatever he actually does as his job, he said it is highly specialized and he is one of the few out there that does it. Therefore, people will, and don't have a choice but to wait for him. So he has his Sirius radio, his coffee, and cruise control. He gets there when he gets there. No speeding or aggressive driving.

I've seen plenty of these M/S2's with 100k+ but this is the best I've seen so far. I only hope that I get 70k out of the set on my truck. I don't need to be greedy and expect 180k
smile.gif

^^^WOW!

Great story, Johnny!

Yeah tell me about it. I didn't really believe him at first when he told me he needed a new ser after 180k until I looked at his service history and DOT numbers. I can't ever imagine getting that type of life from a tire. Most people don't have their vehicles that long .

I have just over 30,000 miles on my 2009 F150's 4x4's 20 inch LTX-M/S2's. I just measured them and they average about 1/4 inch (0.250 inches) of tread remaining (also known as 8/32 of an inch) .

I'm very pleased with these tires in just about every aspect of performance, they are great in wet weather and in overall traction. The previous Pirelli Scorpions were very close to worn out at 30,000 miles and were overdue when replaced at 37,000. I'm especially pleased with these Michelin's in light of the fact that my wife "spins" them when she is in a hurry. Note: the truck has a tune on it and a few minor mods and it will spin them on cooler days.

Last edited:

Unreal. I have heard of them hitting 100k miles before, but you got the record!

Apparently not any more! Johnny248's guy takes the cake. But, like his guy, the Jeep's driving was mostly rural.

Great tires though, in anything but deep mud.

Last edited:
I envy the people that got the high mileage on the ltx ms2 . I ran 2 sets and only got 20-25k from each set. Both sets replaced under warranty due to wearing out prematurely.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: simplistic
I envy the people that got the high mileage on the ltx ms2 . I ran 2 sets and only got 20-25k from each set. Both sets replaced under warranty due to wearing out prematurely.

Wow, what's your driving style, and do you do a lot of city driving? If this is for the Silverado in your signature, I'm wondering about the loads you're carrying, inflation, and whether or not you got the 4/5 ply version or the heavy duty 10ply.

(and I realize I may be off a bit on the plies, but there are different ones available)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back