LSPI { low speed pre ignition } is scary…GM 2.0T

After buying my wife’s 2008 Pontiac Solstice 2.0 T with the automatic transmission and only 32,000 miles I’ve done a lot of reading on this problem with the early, and to some extent the current DI engines and not just GM engines. Recommendation’s of different oils, to certain brands and octane ratings of gas to driving styles, to walnut shell blasting the intake valves to lessen or prevent LSPI have my head spinning. I’ve already changed the oil to Mobil1 5w30 EP, with a Castrol synthetic oil filter cartridge, but I’m wondering if I should drain a qt of the Mobil1 and add a qt of HPL engine cleaner for the first OCI. We foresee only driving it maybe 2,000 miles a year so if I do use the HPL cleaner I don’t know if it would do it’s job in that short of an OCI. So far in 500 miles no codes or hiccups of any kind and drives and handles great but the BITOG OCD seems to be creeping in.

Attachments

• 45B866C7-C4ED-4C87-A1B1-B6A7FC84F1EF.jpeg
    45B866C7-C4ED-4C87-A1B1-B6A7FC84F1EF.jpeg
    121.2 KB · Views: 117
  • 728BF8CD-E15D-4C2E-83E6-CFA608E37073.jpeg
    728BF8CD-E15D-4C2E-83E6-CFA608E37073.jpeg
    119 KB · Views: 118
  • 7E897010-D223-492D-ABA5-16EB0DFA4EC2.jpeg
    7E897010-D223-492D-ABA5-16EB0DFA4EC2.jpeg
    125.9 KB · Views: 117
Last edited:
In other words, don’t lug the engine.
After a short drive last week to the Blueridge Parkway, I did notice that the engine would labor somewhat at times on long uphill pulls before the transmission would downshift so I began down shifting the automatic transmission to 4th and occasionally to 3rd to keep the rpm’s up…plus it makes exiting the curves much more fun! I do agree that lugging the engine might be a key factor in contributing to the LSPI situation. BTW I use BP 92/93 high octane gas though the owners manual says 87 is fine.

I'm quite sure with the maintenance intervals and oil that you are using you will never have issue's with LSPI .
Don't let all the hype weigh you down !
Good oil changed at decent intervals and the Solstice will treat you and your wife well.

After buying my wife’s 2008 Pontiac Solstice 2.0 T with the automatic transmission and only 32,000 miles I’ve done a lot of reading on this problem with the early, and to some extent the current DI engines and not just GM engines. Recommendation’s of different oils, to certain brands and octane ratings of gas to driving styles, to walnut shell blasting the intake valves to lessen or prevent LSPI have my head spinning. I’ve already changed the oil to Mobil1 5w30 EP, with a Castrol synthetic oil filter cartridge, but I’m wondering if I should drain a qt of the Mobil1 and add a qt of HPL engine cleaner for the first OCI. We foresee only driving it maybe 2,000 miles a year so if I do use the HPL cleaner I don’t know if it would do it’s job in that short of an OCI. So far in 500 miles no codes or hiccups of any kind and drives and handles great but the BITOG OCD seems to be creeping in.
LSPI is the result of engine tuning on some DI engines brought to market over the last 10 years. Your 2008 Solstice isn't within that timeframe. In any case API SN+ and current API SP categories have to pass a LSPI test

Drive more/worry less. The min. fuel octane rating is safe but many turbo engines can benefit if driven harder (performance-wise) from higher octane fuels. No need to worry about cleaning this or that unless you are having misfire issues etc. pointing toward intake valves deposits.

as someone who takes care of the GF's 2013 Malibu 2.0T (which is a later LTG /2.0T that is plagued by reports of LSPI while I don't think your 2008 LNF/2.0T is) bought new in 2013...hers has had Mobil 1 full synthetic 5W-30 (my choice but also recommended by GM although I suspect because of the marketing agreement between the 2), a GM oil filter, usually the UPF-64R but I've not seen any issues with he OEM PF-64, 93 octane super unleaded (Costco premium Top Tier since 2014) without issues...

the oil requirement in 2013 was Dexos 1 Gen 1 and was a synthetic blend but I always could get Mobil 1 when rebates were running cheaper and my other cars used 5W-30 so that was always my choice...

hers is very low miles and mostly city driving...she averages about 4K miles a year and the oil is usually changed out prior to the 1 year mark within that mileage and when the Oil Life Monitor reaches single digits...

her car runs as new with the only engine issue being replacement of the variable valve timing sensors (2) which cost me about $75 from RockAuto.com and were a common issue with her generation Malibu...took me less than 15 minutes and I'm not a mechanic...

the car continues to run like a top...I bet yours will too...

Bill

Last edited:
All turbo engines should get premium fuel, drive the car as you normally would and enjoy it.
My 2019 lease VW Jetta 1.4tsi with a 6 speed MT didn't want premium and I am an advocate of giving the engine the octane it needs - no more or less. Benefit of a properly designed D.I system. the engine management allowed some decent boost pressure for a stock motor.
I was surprised and happy that it didn't want premium.
Now my Ford/Mazda 2.0 D.I NA with stratospheric compression explicitly states in the manual the rated torque/HP was achieved with premiums fuel. You may run regular fuel but if you experience knocking uses premium. I was VERY surprised to see that statement.

Your oil choice is fine.
Don’t worry about LSPI.
Run premium fuel and drive it like you stole it. In other words, don’t lug the engine.
You can run the HPL cleaner if you like.
Driving hard will put the engine in the range where lugging occurs as high loads at low rpm are the cause.

Low load driving is best for longevity.

Last edited:
Driving hard will put the engine in the range where lugging occurs as high loads at low rpm are the cause.

Low load driving is best for longevity.
An automatic programmed for fuel economy is bad for LSPI. As with high load demands, it's too reluctant to downshift, causing the situation for LSPI to occur, but better fuel economy.

One could manually shift gears to maintain a relatively high engine speed when they are driving like they stole it.

Back