LSPI { low speed pre ignition } is scary…GM 2.0T

Have you found Eco mode to negatively impact oil, or the engine?
Eco mode does not impact the oil one bit, oil choice impacts LSPI event chance. Eco mode usually doesn't let the engine rev and keeps the engine in lower gears, where it is easier to be in LPSI range. The ECU tuning of the drive by wire throttle is not as sensitive to throttle blade increases on and keeps you in a low rpm where you have a better chance to lug the engine inside the LSPI rpm range. Getting out of Eco mode usually gives you a more progressive throttle input and I can assume a better ignition advancement to drive you through the LSPI range with little to no lugging.

I had what aI feel was a LSPI event when I just bought my new car 2018 Hyundai Kona AWD with a 1.6T. Regular gas, OEM oil, in normal mode/Eco mode and that car gets to 17 psi/1.17 bar at 1,475 rpm when WHAM. The car felt like it jumped 5 feet in the air. I never thought I could get that much input into the chassis. It was like I drove straight into a high 90 degree curb at 20 mph. I knew what LSPI was and I thought, there goes my motor, she is toast. But it still ran and no weird noises like a bent rod or bearings. After that I only ran mid grade in the winter and premium in the hot summer. Today my car is a tuner car so, 93 only no matter what. You can see it in my signature link.

Interesting..... I have been using Eco mode for years. But I also have never had any issues either with my maintenance schedules.
But Eco I find isn't good for commuting, as the agility is lost for the sake of saving fuel
According to 5 Star Tuning, at least for Ford, it simply doesn’t let the engine build any real boost until there is like 60%+ throttle application. Supposedly, and full throttle Eco is almost normal, but at sub-3500 and
As an ironic side note, my F150 actually gets worse mileage in Eco mode in the city… 5 Star says it was tuned basically for lazy highway cruising so that you weren’t spooling the turbos, because > boost = greater fueling requirements regardless of other conditions.

I'm a tuner... Eco modes will control boost, throttle, shifting, etc. Your foot can do most all of this. :) I found eco modes to be too lazy for me to consider using, however, I have thought of tailoring it to something if use in a couple of our vehicles.

Back