LS1 Oil Consumption Theory for Patman

Status
Not open for further replies.
Patman, this one is right up your alley.

After reading several UOA of both the Tri-syn and the SS from Mobil, I have a theory.

From my time reading the tech board on LS1.com, I see where many people that used M1 TS would experience high rates of comsumption. Then they would switch to Synpower, Redline or others and the consumption would drop. Also, we know that the LS1's have a ring blow by issue that GM has corrected.

Now for my theory. We have seen here several posts of UOA that show that the 5W-30 M1 TS shears back to 5w-20 after a short time. My theory is that the sheared or lower visc oil resulted in more blow-by the longer that it was in.

For me personally, When I switched my '01 Burb over to M1, I went with what GM said and used a 5W-30 TS. No oil consumption until around 2500-3000 miles and then it would eat it until I put a new quart in and then it would hold until 5-6 K with only being down 1/4 qt.

When I switched to 10W-30, I never had to add oil during the 5-6 K between oil changes. At that time, I may have been down 1/2 qt.

Now looking at the new SS and how it seems to hold its viscosity, I wonder if the oil consumption may be better. I know that SS is still on the low end, but if it does not shear thin, then maybe it will be better at minimizing consumption.

I know that a lot of people on LS1 run their cars hard, which may have sped up the shear thinning of the old M1 TS.

I just changed my Burb over to 10W-30 SS. I will post my findings. I did not check on LS1, but has anyone said anything about oil consumption rates on the new M1 SS?

Kevin,

I changed over from Amsoil 10W30 ATM in Nissan Frontier to Mobil 1 SS. With the Amsoil, I was replacing about 16-24 oz. between 3k samples, and its Noack volatility was 6.6%.

Since changing over to Mobil 1, I have experienced no loss whatsover in 3k miles thus far.

I have noticed a couple of people mention to me that they burn less oil using SuperSyn, but at the same time, I have convinced many people to switch from 5w30 to 10w30 as well, so some of that lesser oil consumption is due to that.

It puzzles me how some cars seem to burn a ton of oil no matter what. A friend of mine has a 2001 Firehawk and he was burning oil with 5w30 Mobil 1 so he ended up going to 10w30 Redline. Consumption remained exactly the same. Yet when I had my LS1 Formula, I ran nothing but 5w30 Mobil 1, and drove the car HARD! (sometimes logging 50-60 quarter miles runs on an oil interval) but yet I never burned any oil at all. Strange.

For quite a while people were bashing Mobil 1 because of this, but it's just like you said, the thinner nature of M1 5w30 was a big factor.

FWIW, as I posted in another thread here, my wife's car is running 5w30 TriSynthetic and in over 3000 miles it has not used any oil at all. Her Civic is driven pretty hard too (I call her Lady Leadfoot!)
smile.gif

Patman, I reckon you and me seen to be the only ones who use M1 in their LS1s and don't have oil consumption problems
grin.gif
. Heck I am running the 0W30 in the summer, in Ga.
shocked.gif
I'm going to change to 0W40 M1 or Delvac1 from what I've been reading though. Thanks for posting the link to this site, I've become addicted to it!
smile.gif

quote:

Originally posted by Judd:
Patman, I reckon you and me seen to be the only ones who use M1 in their LS1s and don't have oil consumption problems
grin.gif
. Heck I am running the 0W30 in the summer, in Ga.
shocked.gif
I'm going to change to 0W40 M1 or Delvac1 from what I've been reading though. Thanks for posting the link to this site, I've become addicted to it!
smile.gif

No problem, I'm addicted too! (in case nobody has noticed!)
tongue.gif

quote:

Originally posted by ShooterSS:
Late on this post but my brother has a 2001 NHRA Formula that we run Mobil1 5w-30 in with a UPF58 oil filter and so far, little to none oil consumption. He doesn't beat it but it is a daily driver. I still think Mobil1 makes a decent oil.
smile.gif

Is your experience on Tri-syn or Supersyn or both?

I see that you are using an Ultraguard. Have a stockpile or still finding them in places. If so, where?

He's been using it for 2 years so I'm pretty sure it's the Tri-Syn. As for the filter, I found a guy on LS1.com that was selling them and bought 2 cases. Still have a few left but running thin on them. Good filters.
smile.gif

Late on this post but my brother has a 2001 NHRA Formula that we run Mobil1 5w-30 in with a UPF58 oil filter and so far, little to none oil consumption. He doesn't beat it but it is a daily driver. I still think Mobil1 makes a decent oil.
smile.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back