lpg and valve lubrication

Status
Not open for further replies.
hi to all i am a new user and wish to ask if anybody knows if there is an alternative to flashlube for my car its a 2.0 litre turbo petrol engine which has a lpg conversion i have a valve saver kit installed but just think the cost for the lube is too expensive any ideas please on alternative

just run down the dose rate. I also use Moreys instead of the flashlube. We wont find many using lpg on this site as they dont use it in the U.S. I bottle should last you 10,000k's.

Last edited:
Welcome to the boards! I reckon lessening the dose wouldn't do any harm (isn't the standard dose 50 ml per 10 litres?), but was actually wondering how well Marvel Mystery Oil would do as a substitute. I used to buy it online from a VW garage called "Carmann Connections" in 4 litre bottles. I reckon 2-3 ml per litre would do the trick...but I don't think it's ever been tried before in an LPG system.

What kind of car is it? I know quite a few who had their American cars converted to LPG and never ran anything. Is this a multiport LPG system?

would you need this stuff if you bought the ford factory LPG? does that one come with different valve seats?

I'm not sure any "oil" type product is going to "protect" the valves. The face/seat interface has extreme pressure that any "oil" won't protect. Tetra-ethyl lead (TEL)is one of the only chemicals that can protect valves. modern valve/seat materials make TEL unneeded in non-race applications.

If the engine was produced to run on unleaded, you'll probably be fine without anything.

I've run the valve saver kit (on an old pre unleaded Holden V-8 on gas)...the thing delivers most lube at idle and light throttle, when you really don't need it.

hi thanks for all replies the car is a subaru impreza 2.0 litre turbo produced in japan to run on high octane fuel, not used for track but i do boost a lot and i may be the stig

Last edited:
I added TCW3 2T oil to my LPG Territory & 380, dosage around 200-500:1, normally a tank of 2T mixture petrol would take close to 3mth before i need to refill petrol again.

I used to drive a Propane delivery truck that also ran on Propane. It had a 7L (429 cu in) Ford industrial engine in it. It aso had 7.17 gears in the axle.

Engine would run 4500 rpm all day except when it was idling to fill up a customers tank.

The engine ran smooth but got a rod knock @ 112,000 miles. Amazing that it ran that long considering the abuse that it took. It lived on Chevron 10w-40 and Wix filters.

When it got the knock the valves were still sealing fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back