Lower Radiator Hose, coolant all over Engine bay

Status
Not open for further replies.
OK! Im GLAD i took the car for a test drive this morning. I let it warm up, run abut 30 minutes, topped off colant 50/50 mix in the reservoir not cap..opened hood while it was running, ad noticed a PUDDLE of coolant where the radiator fan bottom is (runnign sputtery, due to my vacuum leak.) Shut off, looked, and BAM! A leak i would have ONLY been able to se eunder pressure, and im glad i did.. Lower radiator hose is a nice little geyser, pressurized hot coolant spewing in that direction, getting on belyt, getting whipped up to bottom of hood, and SOME getting on TOP of the radiator (I checked the upper hose, thought that was it, dripping down.. nope, clear as day, got it warmed up, means it was losing pressure there while running. Problem solved!)

So, ill need a new lower hose. I know a'Soap" trick abotu the belts: get some bar soap, a little bit wet () and l"coat" the belt with it, while it is running.

I also have a loose belt, needs tightened. The color on one belt has turned into a white/grey, from the coolant, i guess. strange!

Now, its -tempting- to "Change the water pump" while the lower hose is off, i need to ask, how easy/hard is it to get to the lower hose on my 84 Camaro V6? since i know know it needs done.

I also found out the best way to fix the vacuum is to:

1) Get a "bolt" from hardware store
2) Get "High temp RTV" (which one?)
3) Put the POLT in, AND RTY (Copper?) .. i know nothin gof RTV.. A.I.R. system "Deleted." vacuum leak solved.
thumbsup2.gif

Alrighty, asking:

1) Cost of "Lower hose" labor
2) if "Water pump" is adviseable, when Lower Hose gets replaced (and belt tightened)
.. ballpark figure ?

Also,, best _Sliocone" to make a "plug" for that pipe with. here it is, electrolover

DSCN0458.jpg
(I cleaned up most the coolant, one belt changed color)
DSCN0455.jpg
(and yes, its "Seal" has given way.)

Thank you

Originally Posted By: FL_Rob
and by the way ,i've used golf tee's for vac plugs,might help u.

Im very very ibnterested. That is -exactly- what that taped-up pipe is! Needs a'Vacuum plug" right now, its losing vacuum and car does NOT run right, sounds like out of gas/or has "miss" .. tape it up its all good
smile.gif

Which kind of silicone did you use? i see "High-temp RTV Red" at the store, from permatex, is that good? Someone else said they made an "RTV plug" out of "Copper" and suggesued i use a "Bolt"

Golf tee... im game! I can even make it pass visual inspection, looking like its connected as it soul dbe
laugh.gif

yes, make it inconspicuous, you can make it matt black(flat),or metal colored.red black or copper high-temp rtv is good.

Last edited:
If you have to pass a visual inspection a properly sized BB stuffed in the hose works wonders. You don't want it too small or it can get ingested.

Originally Posted By: FL_Rob
yes, make it inconspicuous, you can make it matt black(flat),or metal colored.red black or copper high-temp rtv is good.
i've acually built an entire engine just with permatex rtv.with exception to head gaskets.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back