Low Temp Viscosity of Used Oil

Status
Not open for further replies.
There was a recent post about loss of low temperature pumpability as an oil ages in use (here) . One of the presentations was a powerpoint from Infineum that showed problems with drastically increased low temperature viscosity, depending on the viscosity improver used (here).

My question is, how do the oils I use perform in cold weather as the mileage piles up?

To test this, I used my homemade viscometer.

The virgin oil was Mobil 1 EP 5W20. The used oil was Mobil 1 5W20 that had 7800 miles on it. While the two oils aren't identical, they are virtually identical in viscosity specifications. So, I figured as long as the used oil didn't show significant low temp thickening over the virgin oil, I didn't have anything to worry about.

I'm happy to report that used Mobil 1 5W20 does not show any thickening at 0F when compared to Mobil 1 EP 5W20. The used oil averaged 123 seconds between marks and the virgin oil averaged 145 seconds. Both oils had spent 18 hours at 0F.

My next test will be Castrol Edge 5W20 in approximately 4 months, when the current fill is changed.

Interesting I missed that thread. For some reason I was expecting something a lot crazier for the homemade viscometer

Interesting test. Out of curiosity, when you say "averaged", how many tests did you do for each oil? Also, did either sample have air bubbles/pockets in it when draining?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back