low oil pressure

Status
Not open for further replies.
As I was driving to work a the other day in my 2011 F250 a chime sounded and a warning message appeared on the dash "low oil pressure stop safely". It wasnt knocking and I wasnt in the best neighborhood and the sun hadn't come up yet so I hoped it would make it to my work or at least to a well lit area.No such luck. It began downshifting and the accelerator wouldnt respond. I pulled off the road and called for a tow. A quick clance under the truck showed no puddles or dripping fluids and the dipstick showed normal oil level.
Once back home I took another vehicle to work and picked up a replacement oil pressure sensor from the dealer on my way home. The truck started right up and ran as smoothly as a powerstroke does with no warning messages until I was 10 miles into my test drive. Same thing. Once stopped turning the key does nothing. Wont let you turn it over at all. I tried to reset the ecm by disconnecting the batteries but still nothing. Another tow truck ride.
The next day I drained the Mobil 1 TDT 5w40 (that had only seen 3000 miles of use) and refilled with Traveller 15w40 and pulled the carquest blue filter to cut it open to check for abnormalities. Everything looked fine in the filter.
It started fine and ran smooth so I drove it 15 miles to the dealer hoping they'd find an electrical problem. They drove it 50 miles and could not duplicate the issue. I picked it up and have driven it another 200 miles since.
I pulled a sample from the used oil for analysis but find it hard to believe an oil change has solved my problem.

I believe an oil change masked the problem (it didn't fix it), you went from a 5w40 to a 15w40 which means more oil pressure. You need to do a real oil pressure test on this engine with a mechanical gauge IMO.

What kind of mileage is on the engine? These 6.7s are usually very reliable and durable engines. Is the truck tuned or do you still have all the emissions equipment in tact? IMO if something is coming apart you would have seen it in the filter media. As trav suggested check the pressure with a mechanical gauge with the correct oil viscosity which should be 10w30 HDEO.

Last edited:
First thing I'd do is renew the ground circuit. Add a new soldered and crimped cable from the battery Neg (-) pinch bolt to maybe the alternator bracket, and then on to the firewall.

It may be seeing a partial floating ground path and throwing intermittent signals ...

Last edited:
Lot of jumping to conclusions here

Step 1. Change out oil for spec'd viscosity, check pressure with mechanical gauge, cross reference with the oil pressure spec. Everything further will depend on this

Too many variables changed at once... I would have tried changing the filter, then the oil (but for the same viscosity), then check actual oil pressure, etc...

The truck only has 88k miles. 10w30, 5w40 and 15w40 are all options to me in my south east climate according to the owners manual.
I'll be mailing off the oil sample today for analysis and the filter looked fine when I cut it open.
I'm exploring options on adding an in-cab oil pressure gauge.

Originally Posted by Trav
I believe an oil change masked the problem (it didn't fix it), you went from a 5w40 to a 15w40 which means more oil pressure. You need to do a real oil pressure test on this engine with a mechanical gauge IMO.

Both are a 40wt oil at operating temp, shouldn't matter if ones a 5w and the other is a 15w once the engine warms up.

Originally Posted by BrocLuno
First thing I'd do is renew the ground circuit. Add a new soldered and crimped cable from the battery Neg (-) pinch bolt to maybe the alternator bracket, and then on to the firewall.

It may be seeing a partial floating ground path and throwing intermittent signals ...

There is a LOT of truth to this "possibility"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back