Low NOACK oils

Status
Not open for further replies.
Good Morning folks
smile.gif

Seeing that PQIA hasn't published any recent NOACK results for some oils lately has me wondering. I hear Valvoline Synthetic and QSUD are low NOACK. Even Super Tech is; is PYB or QSAD?

Thanks

Valvoline posts the Noack on there website PI sheets. I just looked up the Valvoline synthetic motorcycle oil a couple of weeks ago and the 20w50 was 4.

Mobil 1 High Mileage 10w-30 has a NOACK of 7.6%.

The boutique oils like Amsoil, Red Line, and Driven tend to have very low NOACKs at <7%.

Originally Posted by 53' Stude
Good Morning folks
smile.gif

Seeing that PQIA hasn't published any recent NOACK results for some oils lately has me wondering. I hear Valvoline Synthetic and QSUD are low NOACK. Even Super Tech is; is PYB or QSAD?

Thanks

It's not really clear what you're asking. You note that PQIA doesn't give this info recently; we have known for a long time herr that nor does that vendor...

Then you're asking folks on here to effectively speculate on this... without even giving an objective standard for "low", and then you complain about quality of content on here?!?

Pot, meet kettle.

Anyone now viewing this thread will not know the whole story now that the comment was removed. That is not fair to 53Stude.

Originally Posted by PimTac
Anyone now viewing this thread will not know the whole story now that the comment was removed. That is not fair to 53Stude.

Yeah, I'm used to being blamed. I ask what the NOACK is on some oils. Guess I cannot ask a simple question anymore without being called a name like post above yours.

PimTac: yeah that was real low

IIRC the Noack loss for MAG 1 5W30 synth is 12% and ST 5W30 synth has the same d1G2 license # and blender...that's good enough for d1G2, but I wouldn't call that a low Noack loss.

Amsoil SS 5W30 and Ravenol DXG 5W30 are both pretty outstanding for this test, the latter is 6% and the Amsoil is 6.7% per the manufacturers.

Originally Posted by JHZR2
Good Morning folks
smile.gif

Thanks

It's not really clear what you're asking. You note that PQIA doesn't give this info recently; we have known for a long time herr that nor does that vendor...

Then you're asking folks on here to effectively speculate on this... without even giving an objective standard for "low", and then you complain about quality of content on here?!?

Pot, meet kettle.

I'm so glad I don't post much anymore here. I ask a question and get flame roasted. I won't ever ask a question if I'm going to be treated like a idiot. We are here to learn and discuss

Have a nice weekend

Originally Posted by Garak
My question would be why PQIA doesn't test for Noack any longer, while we're at it.

Well, I was going to ask that and forgot about it. I guess we wont ever know which "current Api sn and sn+ oils NOACK are.

Oh well I just dont care anymore and wont

I think typical api limit is %15

looking at different specs. the lowest I've ever seen is %4.1 for Amsoil SS 10Wx30
shocked2.gif

anything in the %6 or %7 range and lower in more expensive oil.
some good oils are %8-9 range
least expensive oils, expect %12 +/-

Originally Posted by JHZR2
Good Morning folks
smile.gif

Thanks

Pot, meet kettle.

I'm so glad I don't post much anymore here. I ask a question and get flame roasted. I won't ever ask a question if I'm going to be treated like a idiot. We are here to learn and discuss

Have a nice weekend

I totally agree sir

It's like adult daycare sometimes

I appreciate what you've done on this site
As many other I'm sure as well !!!ðŸ‘

Last edited:
Originally Posted by OilUzer
I think typical api limit is %15

looking at different specs. the lowest I've ever seen is %4.1 for Amsoil SS 10Wx30
shocked2.gif

anything in the %6 or %7 range and lower in more expensive oil.
some good oils are %8-9 range
least expensive oils, expect %12 +/-

Thank you for being helpful
smile.gif

And the info sir
wink.gif

IIRC there was a time when the PQIA measured PYB 10W30 at something like a 4.4% Noack loss...they couldn't believe it either and retested with something like a 4.2% result!
BITOG was on fire with guesses as to what was going on...then a new result came in a over 10% as one might expect from a conventional quite some time later.

Originally Posted by Virtus_Probi
IIRC there was a time when the PQIA measured PYB 10W30 at something like a 4.4% Noack loss...they couldn't believe it either and retested with something like a 4.2% result!
BITOG was on fire with guesses as to what was going on...then a new result came in a over 10% as one might expect from a conventional quite some time later.

See, I asked about PQIA and they used to test for NOACK and now they dont. And we all know they never said why either

Thanks sir for the info also
smile.gif

There was some discussion a while back about difficulty in determining the NOACK. The numbers would vary widely from test to test or something of that sort.

I cannot remember if that was answered or not.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back