Low driving miles oil change interval

LDB

My car is 1/2 year old today. Or tomorrow depending on which way you round 1/2 of 365. I have 1679 miles, my longest drive being no more than about 70 miles round trip and those very few thanks to jury duty. I anticipate about 3k miles at the one year mark. So, with most trips being 3-5 miles round trip, should I change at 1 year ~3k miles or is it safe to go about 5k mile intervals every 18 months? Or?

What would make you think that an owner's manual that details the recommendations from an army of exeperienced educated engineers would be less accurate than randomly asking a bunch of strangers on the internet?

The manual mentions the OCI which when last checked a few weeks ago was at 90% and given that progression would put my oil change in roughly 4 more years. :) And yes, I have and will go with the manual. That doesn't mean I don't appreciate input from others who I have no reason to consider less than intelligent, at least if they respond to the query posed.

warranties aside low miles from all short trips requires oil changes based in time, not miles. my aunts 99 jeep cherokee got changes under a thou miles in 6 months it ran great until sold!! oil is cheep especially if its DIY by you or a friend-family member. if newer keep records + receipts for your warranty + you do NOT need dealer changes unless they are FREE!

I just changed the oil in our 2015 odyssey. It said if the minder doesn’t come up, change the oil every 12 months. Going back to my 2004 Saab, it counted down from two years.

1-2 years would be ok, IMO. However the short tripping concerns me…

Id run a UOA after maybe 6 months and see if water or fuel was an issue, if yes, 12 mo, if no, 24…

Whatever the book says. Hopefully TX is warm enough you don't get condensation.

My car is 1/2 year old today. Or tomorrow depending on which way you round 1/2 of 365. I have 1679 miles, my longest drive being no more than about 70 miles round trip and those very few thanks to jury duty. I anticipate about 3k miles at the one year mark. So, with most trips being 3-5 miles round trip, should I change at 1 year ~3k miles or is it safe to go about 5k mile intervals every 18 months? Or?
Since its a turbo GDI engine that can have issues I'd be following the factory schedule at a minimum.

The factory schedule is to follow the OLM with a max interval of 1year.

My Opinion:
If you are continually short tripping esp. if its cold outside 6month intervals

Sounds like you dont get it up to temp much.

Houston is pretty warm for the most part but we do get a few weeks of winter. Woke up to 39 this morning but supposed to get down to upper 20's for 2-3 nights early next week.

What would make you think that an owner's manual that details the recommendations from an army of exeperienced educated engineers would be less accurate than randomly asking a bunch of strangers on the internet?

Em, engineers aren't the ones writing the manuals. Separate writers for that.

Since its a turbo GDI engine that can have issues I'd be following the factory schedule at a minimum.

The factory schedule is to follow the OLM with a max interval of 1year.

My Opinion:
If you are continually short tripping esp. if its cold outside 6month intervals

Sounds like you dont get it up to temp much.

I think this is a reasonable and prudent approach.

I short trip. At one point, removing the oil cap and sniffing seemed to indicate a large amount of fuel in the oil. I thought it prudent to change the oil.

Depending on how well your piston rings broke in, you might have a large amount of blow-by. A used oil analysis might be a good idea.

My CX-5's oil monitor has gone as short as 9 months before demanding an oil change.

If random strangers are more than sufficient to ask, for good dating and financial advice, they can certainly make recommendations on when to change oil? I met my second wife at a quick lube place btw, it was destiny :D

Em, engineers aren't the ones writing the manuals. Separate writers for that.
to your point, I own a 2006 Lexus, got it when it was 10, so that means I've had it 6 years. The manual states there is a service every 5k (to protect/generate revenue of the dealership). Here's how many times the car has seen the dealer in 6 years, 2X, both in the first month. :ROFLMAO:

to your point, I own a 2006 Lexus, got it when it was 10, so that means I've had it 6 years. The manual states there is a service every 5k (to protect/generate revenue of the dealership). Here's how many times the car has seen the dealer in 6 years, 2X, both in the first month. :ROFLMAO:
Or you can use the manual intervals to check / change the fluids yourself. Nothing in the manual says you have to go to the dealer.

Back