Low drag Wheel Bearing Oil

This may be the right place to post this, on our race car we are switching from proglide coated tapered roller bearing front wheel hub bearings, with daylube grease, to new front hubs. The new front hubs we are switching to use can be filled with oil, instead of a grease hub only. Any reccomendations for a low drag, lightweight wheel bearing oil. We were thinking of marvel mystery oil, but we are not sure on what could be the best. The car only weights 1000 pounds with driver if that helps.

Look into what semi trucks run in their oiled hubbs as a starting point. Probably super light gear oil or motor oil. Is the car a drag car or road race car because the heat and load on the bearings from corners would need to be considered.

Its a dirt oval car, the right front does see a good amount of load, but nothing major.

Redline superlight shockproof if you really want to use oil. Wheel bearings need high pressure boundary lubrication. Marvel mystery oil is far too light and just a garbage product all around.

I've never heard of a wheel bearing that uses oil, but I'm also not into dirt racing. Very interesting.

That is high stress. I know that is for reducing friction drag . What are the other racers using? I must add the buh I am a Caboose because I put my Glasses on and saw your car that is serious machinery.

That is high stress. I know that is for reducing friction drag . What are the other racers using? I must add the buh I am a Caboose because I put my Glasses on and saw your car that is serious machinery.
Almost all these dudes are super hush hush about anything they do or use unless the sponsor is on the side of the car. At least if it's anything like the asphalt circle track community.

The only other people in my group that has swapped to the newer oil filled hub designs are using gear oil, but that stuff seems too think to me, I may have forgot to mention we are using tapered roller bearings. I was debating about still using the grease, just with the newer hub design. The grease we were using was probably a snake oil product, but it worked really well for us, the grease being daylube nanoceramic grease.

I was looking at getting some lucas l11, but it seems you can only buy it in 5 gallon drums. That redline superlight shockproof looks really good, may have to end up going with that.

I was looking at getting some lucas l11, but it seems you can only buy it in 5 gallon drums. That redline superlight shockproof looks really good, may have to end up going with that.
End up with it? That's exactly what you need unlike MMO (or likely Lucas for that matter).

MMO is not a proper fluid for a racing hub.

Look into what semi trucks run in their oiled hubbs as a starting point. Probably super light gear oil or motor oil. Is the car a drag car or road race car because the heat and load on the bearings from corners would need to be considered.
Older was 80w-90. Newer with disc brakes is 75-140. I bet you could get away with a thinner oil like a 5w20 on the op's race car.

I really have no idea what oil would be best for such an application. However, turbine engines typically have a ton of fast moving, highly loaded roller bearings. The oil used MIL-PRF-23699G, has a nominal viscosity of 5 centistokes at 100C and are typically made with neopentyl polyol ester base stocks. It's only job is to lube those bearings and gears. Might be worth looking into.

Back