Love Bug Clear Coat Etching

Hello Everyone,

My 2013 Dodge Dart lived part of it's previously life in Florida. Apparently the black bumper (cannot tell if it is painted or color molded) was subjected to many impacts of Love Bug juice. The clear coat or top coating seems to be etched. In bright sunlight it looks as if it is only water spotted, but the etching is in fact there.

I am curious if anyone else has dealt with this issue, and what remedy did you use to restore back a unified gloss. I am a little afraid to wet sand (thinking 2000 grit) the bumper and then try to polish it out since I am not sure if the plastic is indeed painted or if the color is molder in.

Attached is stock photo of a car of the same color and bumper configuration that is on mine.

Thanks in advance for your replies.

2013-dodge-dart-rallye-1-08.jpg

If you can buff it up to a reasonable quality finish, you may find that a high end clear plastic protective film will restore the shine, while providing some protection. Whether it's worth the cost or not is another matter entirely.

Also, I've been able to re-clear coat by carefully wet sanding with 2000 grit, and re-spraying. It generally comes out perfect. Just don't sand into the base coat.

EDIT: This is not to say that I've been able to restore peeling clear coat that has degraded into white flakes. I've been able to sand and re-spray modestly damaged/scratched clear coat with good results.

Last edited:
I remember how bad the love bugs were in south Texas one summer. They covered everything in their path!!

Originally Posted by aquariuscsm
I remember how bad the love bugs were in south Texas one summer. They covered everything in their path!!

Came home from a business trip to find our Explorer (tri color white) so caked & baked with them I could not open the hood to add washer fluid until I headed to the coin op wash.

Originally Posted by Wrenchturner44
Hello Everyone,

My 2013 Dodge Dart lived part of it's previously life in Florida. Apparently the black bumper (cannot tell if it is painted or color molded) was subjected to many impacts of Love Bug juice. The clear coat or top coating seems to be etched. In bright sunlight it looks as if it is only water spotted, but the etching is in fact there.

I am curious if anyone else has dealt with this issue, and what remedy did you use to restore back a unified gloss. I am a little afraid to wet sand (thinking 2000 grit) the bumper and then try to polish it out since I am not sure if the plastic is indeed painted or if the color is molder in.

Attached is stock photo of a car of the same color and bumper configuration that is on mine.

Thanks in advance for your replies.

Pics of the damage would help us know whether or not it can be addressed and to what extent any improvement can be expected to result.

At the moment, I'll say there's probably nothing that can be done. But I could be wrong, post up some pics, and I'll know a little better.

Guys, Sorry it took so long to get a picture to upload, but you can see from the photo the extent of the damage to clear coat. The black plastic bumper is the worst. The body color has some etching but not near as bad as the black plastic.

[Linked Image]

I've had occasions where WD-40 or fuel oil would cut through and almost melt it away with no issues to hurting the paint.

If that cleans up good, the gloss finish might take a good few coatings of wax to make it easy to keep up if you really stay on top of it.

OR- Once clean, you could buy or make a custom cut matte black overlay that would peel off like vinyl wrap and just re-do annually or ? with reg cleaning / maint in between. Pick up something like that at a sign shop. I don't believe the more permanent clear coat vinyl will look any better or be any easier to clean or keep up.

Last edited:
I try to remove the bug splatter no later than the end of the day. I use the Optimum No Rinse as a quick detailer and it takes the stuff right off safely. Sometimes I will follow this up with a spray wax. You have some pretty significant damage. You may be able to get some of it out with correction.

Back