Loudest gun?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: mechtech2
Originally Posted By: k1rod
50 BMG out of a Barrett

Yes , in my experience.
Standing to the side and behind, you can feel the air pressure.

I said that on page 2 and was told I was wholly incorrect
21.gif

Subjectively, the .223 pistol with 7" barrel fired from the hip.

Objectively, all guns have the same loudness. When the super sonic gas ball coming out of the muzzle slows down to the speed of sound, it emits a wave the peak amplitude 2 atmospheres and trough amplitude cavitation. Different guns sound different with different sized gas balls when they throw the sonic boom. The larger the ball, the more low frequency content. There is a roll off below the gas ball being equal to 1/2 the wave length.

Originally Posted By: ClarkMagnuson
Subjectively, the .223 pistol with 7" barrel fired from the hip.

Objectively, all guns have the same loudness. When the super sonic gas ball coming out of the muzzle slows down to the speed of sound, it emits a wave the peak amplitude 2 atmospheres and trough amplitude cavitation. Different guns sound different with different sized gas balls when they throw the sonic boom. The larger the ball, the more low frequency content. There is a roll off below the gas ball being equal to 1/2 the wave length.

Great first post! This is why an S&W .500 rattles the walls at WCA.

Originally Posted By: Loobed

I don't know if bigger equates to louder, but if it did than the Schwerer Gustav 800mm railway gun would probably be the loudest.

800px-Gesch%C3%BCtzDora2.JPG

488px-80cm_Gustav_shell.jpg

Holy poo!!

Quote:
Schwerer Gustav (English: Heavy Gustaf, or Great Gustaf) and Dora were the names of two German 80 cm K (E) ultra-heavy railway guns. They were developed in the late 1930s by Krupp as siege artillery for the explicit purpose of destroying the main forts of the French Maginot Line, the strongest fortifications then in existence. The twin guns weighed nearly 1,350 tonnes, and could fire shells weighing seven tonnes to a range of 47 kilometers (29 mi). The guns were designed in preparation for the Battle of France, but were not ready for action when the battle began, and in any case the Wehrmacht's Blitzkrieg offensive through Belgium rapidly outflanked and isolated the Maginot Line's World War I-era static defenses, forcing them to surrender uneventfully and making their destruction unnecessary. Gustav was later used in the Soviet Union at the siege of Sevastopol during Operation Barbarossa, with good effect, including destroying a munitions depot buried in the bedrock under a bay. They were moved to Leningrad, and may have been intended to be used in the Warsaw Ghetto Uprising like other German heavy siege pieces, but the rebellion was crushed before it could be prepared to fire. Gustav was later captured by US troops and cut up, whilst Dora was destroyed near the end of the war to avoid capture by the Red Army.
It was the largest-calibre rifled weapon ever used in combat, and fired the heaviest shells of any artillery piece.[1] It is only surpassed in calibre by the British Mallet's Mortar (36 inch; 914 mm) and the American Little David mortar (36 inch; 914 mm).

Quote:
In 1934 the German Army High Command (OKH) commissioned Krupp of Essen, Germany to design a gun to destroy the forts of the French Maginot Line which were then nearing completion. The gun's shells had to punch through seven meters of reinforced concrete or one full meter of steel armour plate, from beyond the range of French artillery. Krupp engineer Erich Müller calculated that the task would require a weapon with a calibre of around 80 cm, firing a projectile weighing 7 tonnes from a barrel 30 meters long. The weapon would have a weight of over 1000 tonnes. The size and weight meant that to be at all movable it would need to be supported on twin sets of railway tracks. In common with smaller railway guns, the only barrel movement on the mount itself would be elevation, traverse being managed by moving the weapon along a curved section of railway line. Krupp prepared plans for calibres of 70 cm, 80 cm, 85 cm, and 1 m.

Originally Posted By: OVERKILL
Originally Posted By: Loobed

I don't know if bigger equates to louder, but if it did than the Schwerer Gustav 800mm railway gun would probably be the loudest.

800px-Gesch%C3%BCtzDora2.JPG

488px-80cm_Gustav_shell.jpg

Holy poo!!

Quote:
Schwerer Gustav (English: Heavy Gustaf, or Great Gustaf) and Dora were the names of two German 80 cm K (E) ultra-heavy railway guns. They were developed in the late 1930s by Krupp as siege artillery for the explicit purpose of destroying the main forts of the French Maginot Line, the strongest fortifications then in existence. The twin guns weighed nearly 1,350 tonnes, and could fire shells weighing seven tonnes to a range of 47 kilometers (29 mi). The guns were designed in preparation for the Battle of France, but were not ready for action when the battle began, and in any case the Wehrmacht's Blitzkrieg offensive through Belgium rapidly outflanked and isolated the Maginot Line's World War I-era static defenses, forcing them to surrender uneventfully and making their destruction unnecessary. Gustav was later used in the Soviet Union at the siege of Sevastopol during Operation Barbarossa, with good effect, including destroying a munitions depot buried in the bedrock under a bay. They were moved to Leningrad, and may have been intended to be used in the Warsaw Ghetto Uprising like other German heavy siege pieces, but the rebellion was crushed before it could be prepared to fire. Gustav was later captured by US troops and cut up, whilst Dora was destroyed near the end of the war to avoid capture by the Red Army.
It was the largest-calibre rifled weapon ever used in combat, and fired the heaviest shells of any artillery piece.[1] It is only surpassed in calibre by the British Mallet's Mortar (36 inch; 914 mm) and the American Little David mortar (36 inch; 914 mm).

Quote:
In 1934 the German Army High Command (OKH) commissioned Krupp of Essen, Germany to design a gun to destroy the forts of the French Maginot Line which were then nearing completion. The gun's shells had to punch through seven meters of reinforced concrete or one full meter of steel armour plate, from beyond the range of French artillery. Krupp engineer Erich Müller calculated that the task would require a weapon with a calibre of around 80 cm, firing a projectile weighing 7 tonnes from a barrel 30 meters long. The weapon would have a weight of over 1000 tonnes. The size and weight meant that to be at all movable it would need to be supported on twin sets of railway tracks. In common with smaller railway guns, the only barrel movement on the mount itself would be elevation, traverse being managed by moving the weapon along a curved section of railway line. Krupp prepared plans for calibres of 70 cm, 80 cm, 85 cm, and 1 m.

Size *does* matter.

Originally Posted By: default
Loud enough is my M91-30, most people at the range sighting in various rifles seem to pack up whenever I drop by. As the rifle and I warm up and my groups get smaller(Current record 1.72"@100yds), theirs get bigger. Particularly with the WW2 Russian surplus ammo, its noticeably hotter than the 1980's Romanian I usually feed it. Either way, you don't want to be standing next to me when it goes off, the shockwave hits you in the face hard enough to feel it in your cheekbones. A lot of it probably has to do with the very slow powders most surplus is loaded with, you can see the 3ft muzzle flash in daylight.
My M91/59 is extremely loud as it is a 20" barreled version of the 91/30 . Even louder is my M95 Mannlicher Styer same size barrel but fires a 8mm rimmed round, more than a few rounds of the Styer and you need shoulder surgery.

A friend of mine has a .460 S&W Magnum which I put a few rounds through at the range. The thunderous sound (and resulting fireball and shockwave) made me flinch every time even when wearing earplugs underneath ear protection. Crazy.

Fun story: The day we were there and just finishing up, a group of gun safety students game in, a good part of which was annoyingly giggly younger women, each of whom squealed and laughed whenever someone shot the 9mm pistols their group was using. So I asked my friend if he had any .460 ammo left. He looked at me with a knowing evil grin, loaded up, and proceeded to scare the **** out of these girls. They screamed and probably jumped a foot off the ground. But they sure weren't laughing anymore.

I used to have some hand load 125gr., .375 Mags, that were full of 2400 powder, that were loaded up to go out of a 8" N frame.

They got a lot of people's attention at the range when firing them out of a 4" L frame!

Loudest gun i've ever heard was a .50 bmg with a compensator that was fired under a lean-to. The concussion knocked a bottle of water off a table that was about 6-8 feet off to the side..

We fire our LAR 50BMG at our home range and it isn't much louder than most everything else we shoot EXCEPT for a friends .30-378 with, naturally, a brake....nasty, rude noise maker. The LAR is a bull pup design with a 36" barrel and a three-chambered brake (just about as large as a soda can). However, noise is one thing, the concussion is just downright awe-inspiring. We were disappointed with our target; I was trying to take a dead, woodpecker and termite-ridden walnut tree next to our backstop down with the .50 and thought it would do the job.....nope, the 660 grain bullets just whizzed clean through. A 1/2" entry hole and a 1/2" exit hole with a little extra wood following.

I agree with several of the others in here....243's, 7mm mag's, the .30-378, and other high-pressure, high velocity rounds ARE noisy....much noisier than a .50BMG which operates at the same pressure as a .30-06 (after all, the .50 is a upscaled .30-06.....same approx pressure).

Personally, .357's out of a 2" or 4' barrel bother me more than any other. However, the absolute loudest I've witnessed is the 120mm smooth bore.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back