Loudest gun?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Saw the thread on hearing protection and thought to ask what shooters feel the gun with the "loudest" report is. First guesses would be a Desert Eagle .50AE if not .44Mag

I also recall seeing a site about a custom short-barreled AK47 that was said to be LOUD due to 7.62MM and shortened barrel. 7.62x39 or 7.62x51 i dont know... Different AK. AK47, AK74, AK84... Some are 5.56...

.357 sig is pretty loud. Even more to my ears than .44mag, .357 mag or anything else in a hand gun.

Rifle I'd have to throw 7mm is one of the loudest. Again to my ears with 33db plugs.

Bill

I have a Bushmaster M4 with a muzzle break that will ring some bells. M2HB has a pretty good bark though. Concur with the naval gunfire, but the 18 inchers on the Yamato class must have been right there with em.

Originally Posted By: volk06
Shotgun with a 3" slug is pretty loud. So is the S&W .50 I heard at the shooting range.

+1 3" slugs have some "bass" to them... The vented or ported barrel tip sure makes my neighbors .22LR much louder than a regular .22, it sounds from the side almost like its being shot at you.
I was looking at a 12g slug gun that had a ported barrel and I thought it would be a nasty loud kicking beast... I ended up getting an unported 20g H&R USH and its tolerable for me. 10 shots doesn't make the shoulder to sore at all.
I was reading a thread on different rounds for the military a couple days ago, and thought that having a very quiet gun would be a decent tactical advantage even with some reduced energy.

Originally Posted By: IndyIan
Originally Posted By: volk06
Shotgun with a 3" slug is pretty loud. So is the S&W .50 I heard at the shooting range.

+1 3" slugs have some "bass" to them... The vented or ported barrel tip sure makes my neighbors .22LR much louder than a regular .22, it sounds from the side almost like its being shot at you.
I was looking at a 12g slug gun that had a ported barrel and I thought it would be a nasty loud kicking beast... I ended up getting an unported 20g H&R USH and its tolerable for me. 10 shots doesn't make the shoulder to sore at all.
I was reading a thread on different rounds for the military a couple days ago, and thought that having a very quiet gun would be a decent tactical advantage even with some reduced energy.

I strictly use my 20g when deer hunting, not much of an advantage to using a 12g besides a sore shoulder.

My guess would be any of the Weatherby Mags or RUM's with muxxle breaks.

Smith and Wesson 500 is a [censored] loud handgun!! Feels like your shooting a 3.5" barreled 12GA.

Probably the 577 T Rex, a round so violent most people cannot even hold on to the shoulder artillery that fires it when the trigger is pulled. Makes the 375 H&H (my fav round) look almost like a 22lr.

From what I understand from speaking with a few Vets there is nothing quite like a 120mm Smoothbore firing anti-Tank (APFSDS) rounds. Nothing has the high pitch (Slap/Boom) from close by.

Artillery has larger projectiles, but nowhere near the muzzle velocity the 120mm Smooth bore has.

Even with doubled up hearing protection they are difficult to be around... until you lose some hearing to better deal with it.

All that I know is late at night 20 miles from Ft. Hood they will shake your house.

The loudest "regular gun" (not special order custom guns or doesn't run on tracks or wheels) I think I've heard is a .223 Contender. I have one in a 14" barrel, and it's bad, but the 10" is real bad.
Some others, like the guy at my club with the braked .340 Weatherby are rough, but the .223 crack/pitch pushed the Contender to the top for me. I have an 18" barreled .375 H&H that doesn't come close.

My SCAR 17 (16" .308) is pretty nasty too,but that is mostly due to the muzzle brake.

Bullpups seem louder to me also, I guess because the muzzle is closer.

I spent a good bit of time as a USMC Gun Grape.
Pulled the Lanyard on dozens of Red Bag RAP in the old M198, and during training got to play with old M110 10 inch SP.
Loud is an understatement. The concussion of the Redbag RAP combo is as bad as incoming Mortars 50yds away LOL!!

The absolute worst hand fired weapon muzzle blast I have ever enjoyed, was a Prototype X frame Smith back in 05'.

Cor-Bon and S&W colluded(Conspired really) on the 3" barreled 460Mag, and at first, fitted the thing with a horrendous muzzle break. [censored] thing was like having a grenade go off at arms length, but the recoil wasn't bad. Much,much more of a shock wave thumping the chest and slapping the sinuses, than any shoulder fired arm I have ever shot, including the .338Lapua and .50BMG.

I can tell you the loudest shot I ever made. Remember the SKS "Paratrooper" carbines, barrels had been shortened to ~16.5"? I had one, & made the mistake of shooting it without hearing protection, off a bench, under a good pipe frame & corrugated roofing tin flat-top sunshade/raincover- *One* shot only!
crazy2.gif
Wow, that was loud! I can report that when only 4 to 5 ft overhead, a tin roof has serious sound-relfecting ability.

Lucky I wasn't shooting something *Really* loud, huh?
grin.gif

Originally Posted By: GearheadTool
Saw the thread on hearing protection and thought to ask what shooters feel the gun with the "loudest" report is. First guesses would be a Desert Eagle .50AE if not .44Mag

I also recall seeing a site about a custom short-barreled AK47 that was said to be LOUD due to 7.62MM and shortened barrel. 7.62x39 or 7.62x51 i dont know... Different AK. AK47, AK74, AK84... Some are 5.56...

Likely the loudest readily available rifle is anything that fires the .50 BMG round.

Nope. I'll take a .50 BMG next to me at the range any day over a 7mm Mag with a brake. The .50 being a relatively low pressure round is much less annoying.

Ed

The loudest gun I personally have experienced was a 155mm howitzer. NOW THAT'S SOME LOUD!!!!!!!!
It could shoot a 651,000gr. bullet at 3,000fps. It had a Circular Error Probable @ 15 miles of 100m. Sorry I don't know how to calculate an MOA on that. Anyone have the formula?

I had a 30-30 rifle I thought was fairly loud. A 357 mag is the loudest handgun I have. I think the AK47 style weapons are fairly loud but probably are just more distinctive. I've had alot of Vietnam war vets tell me that as well.

I usually think of myself as having "sensitive" hearing, although this weekend I found myself using a circular saw w/o earplugs--I normally will use plugs when running a lawnmower!

Anyhow, I usually just use the earplugs, and once in a while I will shoot Blazer Brass 158grn 357Mag out of my 3" SP101. The noise isn't so bad. But the concussion from the sound wave hitting me is! One time at the range someone was shooting a rifle (7mm?) and initially I stood a few feet away, just to watch. I found myself moving several yards away, it was just too much...

A friend at work has a 30-378 with a muzzle brake. He lives a county over and I can tell when he shoots that thing ! I handload it for him, somewhat mild even, but still getting 3300 fps with a 180 grain bullet. Could push it up to over 3500 fps but no need for that around here.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back