Loss of MPG with Lucas??

Status
Not open for further replies.
Strange observation...I've been using Lucas UCL in my 4cyl 2007 Camry. At full strength dose, my mileage ALWAYS drops by 2-3 mpg's (I keep VERY good records to help eliminate other enviromental factors). I drive the same way everyday to work. At 1/2 dose, MPG is unaffected either positive or negative.

On the other hand when using it my old vehicle ('95 Merc Villager with 170K) I always got 2-3mpg better. Mileage would drop off in 2 tanks if I didn't use it. The van also idled much better with it in the tank.

Ironically, I also have had the EXACT same results using MMO with both vehicles!

Is there something going on with the Toyota 4cyl that doesn't like UCL's??

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: mechtech2
I stopped using Lucas UCL..No results and I found out that is it only motor oil with a bit if detergent.

I also had the same results with MMO though...that's what made me curious!

What would cause the drop in mileage?

Smaller engines are affected more with a thicker oil or gas dilution.... just that little bit will cause a very slight loss of mpgs (load) on this (any)engine.Not to worry though, the cleaning effect is not measured in dollars.

Originally Posted By: FL_Rob
Not to worry though, the cleaning effect is not measured in dollars.

Maybe eventually.
wink.gif

I always noticed a little jump in fuel economy when I used the Lucas in my Focus 4cyl but just for that tank. Outside of that I'm not sure if it actually did anything.

Originally Posted By: CROWBAR
Originally Posted By: mechtech2
I stopped using Lucas UCL..No results and I found out that is it only motor oil with a bit if detergent.

I also had the same results with MMO though...that's what made me curious!

What would cause the drop in mileage?

the same results? MO is NOT motor oil with detergent.

I've used Lucas UCL in three different engines, a I4, V6 and V8. In the I4 and V6, I saw a 2-4 MPG increase and an increase in power in the I4 (which had 210K miles on it). On the V8, I didn't notice anything.

You aren't supposed to necessarily see an MPG gain from an additive....in fact, I've found after continual use of "any" additive, the MPG increase will "average out" in the end, to the point where you see no difference at all, likely due to the additive "cleaning up" what was causing your MPG to "slump" in the first place.

Use it for it's purpose, as a UCL, not as an "MPG improver"
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: ahoier
Use it for it's purpose, as a UCL, not as an "MPG improver"
smile.gif

Yeah, I knew that, I apologize if it sounded like I was saying that Lucas UCL increased MPG just flat out. Maybe I should have said that it "restored" my MPG.
smile.gif

To be more specific, the most dramatic "restored" MPG/power (with my butt accelerometer) was in the Honda I4. It's only had standard servicing done (most oil/filter/liquid changes) and it ran on 87 octane fuel for pretty much its entire life.

The Toyota V6 is a sub-40K vehicle and has had a steady diet of 91 octane fuel and car was serviced much more meticulously. MPG was "restored" to a lesser degree on this car, no noticeable difference in power.

The Lexus V8 is a sub-70K vehicle and also serviced meticulously. it too has had mostly 91 octane throughout its life (sometimes had to run 89 when 91 was out). I noticed no more MPG over what it was already giving me and no increase in HP.

In all cases, they were mostly filled up with Arco gas (I'd say 80% of the time averaged)

To the OP, maybe the Toyota I4 just doesn't need it as my Honda I4 DEFINITELY benefited from using it.

Last edited:
Saw almost 26 mpg highway PA to NYC) with conservative driving with a full dose of Lucas in my MUSTANG!, full trunk, all four seats occupied. I was just as surprised as you!

Window sticker calls for 25 highway solo driver empty car..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back