Lose $500 to save $3500

I am having trouble understanding why rusty transmission lines are a problem. Yes, I have had it happen and gotten pinhole leaks and I replaced the lines. It was no big deal both times. If new lines were unobtainable (and they probably are used off a vehicle from a junkyard in an area that doesn't salt the roads) then have something custom made or use regular fuel line.

They aren’t. It’s more of a principle thing. Just lost a transmission line on my Tacoma(also lost the transmission too) so I just couldn’t sleep knowing I’m buying the same problem over. It’s not the $50 in hoses, clamps, and ATF that I’m worried about lol.

With how many Ford owners talking about the 5.0 being a good motor I figure I’d give it a try. They failed to mention the valve problems.
How many miles are on the truck?

This is the first I have heard of the Coyote valve issue. Is this unique to the Gen 1 motor or something?
People routinely take these motors to 200k miles and boost them to 700hp with factory internals and to 1,000 hp with minor modifications like oil pump gears.

If I had to armchair this, I would guess the valve stem seals are worn out which can happen if a vehicle sits for long periods of time (low miles) or just from low quality parts or poor installation.

How many miles are on the truck?

This is the first I have heard of the Coyote valve issue. Is this unique to the Gen 1 motor or something?
People routinely take these motors to 200k miles and boost them to 700hp with factory internals and to 1,000 hp with minor modifications like oil pump gears.

If I had to armchair this, I would guess the valve stem seals are worn out which can happen if a vehicle sits for long periods of time (low miles) or just from low quality parts or poor installation.

119k. There was a Ford TSB for cold start misfire that had to do with the ECM reading two different temperature variables and not knowing what to do. Highly doubt it would make it 8 years without that ECM update. Apparently the valve problems were never discovered by Ford but rather the engine rebuilders and mechanics that repaired the low compression, misfiring 5.0s. Didn’t happen til the trucks were past their warranty period. According to the engine builders the valve issue supposedly was corrected for the 2014MY with a new valve design but it was never a 100% guaranteed fix.

UPDATE

The mechanic got back to the dealer. Apparently the issue was traced down to a bad low pressure fuel pump and fuel pump module. Both have been (allegedly) replaced. They will attempt to set the monitors tomorrow and see if it’s good to go.

Not doubting the folks because they genuinely are being helpful and transparent with me but you can never be too cautious. I’ll crawl under and see if the fuel tank straps has been touched to get to the fuel pump.

The purchase agreement terms does say if customer backs out they would lose the deposit as it is non-refundable. It does allow to walk away.
You're getting legal advice from a document the dealer provided.

What will get you out, is if it's considered an "unfair contract" in your state, which would be null and void.

I would look into NY's "inspectability" law, which typically gives you the buyer a short window after you take delivery to take it to your OWN mechanic for an inspection. If it fails, dealer buys it back.

I suspect if you push the right buttons, you'll get your deposit back, which it sounds like you want to, and which I think you should do. You shouldn't even buy it with intention to return, but point out the inspectability law to the dealer to get him to back out of the deposit.

Last edited:
UPDATE:

I can’t even make this up lol. I eventually took delivery of the truck Friday morning. It was 40 degrees out, sunny dry day. Truck started up fine, left their lot, ran great down the interstate. Cleaned up the rig and waxed for winter. Beautiful truck. A lot more power than my Tacoma.

Was told it “got a new fuel pump, new fuel pump module, and the truck runs great” - that was a lie. There’s so much crud on it you can barley see where the fuel pump locking ring is. Whatever.

Friday night(last night) I went to start the truck at 11pm. Long crank - stumbles abit one fired up, but started and ran great. CEL for PO300(multiple cylinder misfire). Next morning(today) no start condition. Just cranks.

Did some diagnostics with my Foxwell NT301. Fuel trim showing 0. Pulled my fuel line - turn key to on position - only a dribble of gasoline came out. Sounds like a weak fuel pump to me. Possibly fuel pump module. I mean it runs and drives fine once it’s started up. My battery also went from 12v to 9v overnight. Possibly the bad fuel pump is causing a parasitic draw.

I’m not mad about the issue I’m just mad that the dealer not only wasted a week of my time, but lied to my face about doing the fuel pump and module. Not really expensive items and I can do the work myself. But just annoying. Now I understand why small independent dealers get a bad rep. Because of folks like this. I mean, if you were just gonna sell me the truck broken anyways why beat around the bush.

Thought ya said you will crawl under and see if the fuel tank straps has been touched to get to the fuel pump.
Agree; I would have asked for an invoice for my records to prove it was done.

Incredible they would lie like that all the same.

Turn it in while you still can. NY should give you a "warranty of inspectability."

Even if they fix it, would you be able to trust the truck or dealer? No! You're paying good money for something that should work.

Thought ya said you will crawl under and see if the fuel tank straps has been touched to get to the fuel pump.

I did. The straps themselves were hard to tell since there’s a dirty rubber gasket on it. The bolts showed signs of being removed. Didn’t look any further after seeing that. Figure why would anyone touch those bolts if it wasn’t to drop the tank. After my initial testing found a weak battery & bad evap purge valve it still didn’t start. So I started to question wether or not the FP and module had been changed. Stuck a camera between the frame and I see the work was never done. They probably pulled the bolts and said F this.

But ended up going through the whole system. And traced it back to a faulty fuel pump back flow valve. If you leave the key in the “on” position for about 10 seconds it starts up perfect every single time. If you just go and crank it’ll sputter, and run rich, which would explain the exhaust smell. New FP and module on order. Now I’m starting to weigh the idea of just adding an in-line check valve and riding out the current fuel pump before I have to replace it.

How could you not be mad or upset about this? You paid for a truck that runs/drives and wereied to about it getting fixed.

I try not to get upset about it because I’m working on keeping negative energy out of my life. If I was younger I would’ve went off on them for sure. I still slightly want to deep inside but I just don’t see the point. I came into the whole $15k truck idea expecting to do some work so that doesn’t bother me. It’s how they made me wait a week and then lied to my face the whole time that doesn’t sit well with me.

I guess it can also be a life lesson. Now I know I’ll only buy new or from large dealer groups.

Turn it in while you still can. NY should give you a "warranty of inspectability."

Even if they fix it, would you be able to trust the truck or dealer? No! You're paying good money for something that should work.

According to NYS all vehicles over 100k miles are as-is. There are some merchant warranty laws but I feel those are harder to pursue.

The way I see it, this truck probably developed the starting issue and PO traded in to one of the large auto groups, it goes straight to adesa, this dealer buys and retails as is. So I don’t distrust the truck as it sits.

This was an occasional problem with '80s BMWs. The fix was an in line check valve that had a 7 series p/n. I never needed one . The Borman 6 went to the crusher with its original FP

If you will, post a link to the car lot you bought your truck from. I’d like to have a look at them.

There are some excellent and some sleazy ones. I’d like to check this one out.

Back