Looking to replace Daily Driver Camry 2017 SE - Battery Type 24F

I've bought several of the Costco Interstate batteries without issue...around ChicagoLand the Costco Interstate batteries were identical in CA/CCA and casing as other JCI/Clarios batteries (Walmart around here) but in many cases were less expensive...the last one I bought was this June (before Costco changed the warranty) and it was priced at $99 while the same battery was priced at Walmart at $139 so it worked out very well for me...elsewhere batteries were even higher for my application...

I will say it appeared the price discrepancy was due to rising prices where Costco had not raised theirs yet but again, it worked out for me...a little work looking into similar batteries at local parts, supply houses will net you the better deal for you...good luck

Bill

So even without any kind of a rollback deal just walking into a Walmart store is the best bang for the buck.
if you buy online do they let you pick it out (to get freshest stock)? or are you stuck with whatever they bring to the pickup counter?

Toyota uses Exide from my understanding so that might be something to consider. Supposedly home depot carries them.
Toyota's trustart batteries have always been supplied by Johnson Controls which is now Clarios.. Toyota doesn't just give up and change suppliers, not the Toyota way..

if you buy online do they let you pick it out (to get freshest stock)? or are you stuck with whatever they bring to the pickup counter?
No you can always ask for the freshest date code.. I've asked to get the one in the rear of the stack.. Even if the date sticker is stuck on my employees, the real date code is molded into the top lid of the battery. So far when I've been at Walmart the date code sticker matches the molded date code.

who makes walmarts maxx?
It depends on what area of the country you live in.. Walmart's maxx batteries in the midwest have been Clarios (old Johnson Controls).. On the east coast, mid-atlantic looks like East Penn (Deka). The code will be on the battery next to the UPC bar code.. If it starts with EP, it's East Penn.. If it's JC then Johnson Controls (Clarios).

That's a very good question. In my case they only had two of the 24f MAXX in stock and they were both very good batteries that were recent and measured over 1,100 cold cranking amps. One had nice shiny post on both the positive and negative post. The other that still measured almost identical on the cold cranking amps with my own tester, had post that look like they were cold solder joints and we're not that shiny. I suspect the solder might have been a little bit too cold when those posts were poured. So I initially bought the one in store with the shiny posts. I then took it home it did not get around to installing it that day. That evening I decided to look up more details about the specifications and found out that there was a rollback going on. So I took it back to the store the next day and asked them if they would honor the online rollback price and give me the difference and they said they could not do that. But they told me that I could buy it online and then bring back the one I had just bought. So I went home still with the same battery went home with the new battery still sitting in the back of the vehicle not installed, purchased another group 24f Maxx online with the rollback price. Then I took the battery that I originally purchased back to the store again with the receipt and returned it but explained to the people at the return desk that I would very much like to have this be the battery that I purchase online with the rollback price. The person who took the exchange back said that he was not the person who brings out the online purchases but that he would talk to that person and then he told me where to go to wait for that person to come out and that person did and I explained to him that I would like to get the same battery and he said no problem and let me walk out the door with the same battery that I had walked back in the door with just a few minutes earlyer. That battery had never left the cart that it was in when I brought it in the store. And I had placed a very very small Dot from a Sharpie on the label so that I could make sure that I got the same battery back. They were very accommodating even though they could not match the online rollback price they allowed me to essentially return the first battery, get my money back, and then buy that exact same battery with the online rollback price. This store does not have an auto department as far as an actual shop where they have mechanics working and people changing tires. Just a few hours of automobile parts and a rack of batteries. Fortunately for me it is in a location that I very frequently go to.

So the bottom line answer to your question is, I think it might depend on the story that you go to, and also a big part of it would be if that store actually has a dedicated auto repair shop section with actual mechanics working. And it also depends on just the personality of the person that Waits on you. Some people, if you talk to them nice and explain to them that you would like to test the batteries they have no problem with it. Others may be different.

It depends on what area of the country you live in.. Walmart's maxx batteries in the midwest have been Clarios (old Johnson Controls).. On the east coast, mid-atlantic looks like East Penn (Deka). The code will be on the battery next to the UPC bar code.. If it starts with EP, it's East Penn.. If it's JC then Johnson Controls (Clarios).
s/n is JCH##### so its Johnson controls then..... Is that good or bad ?

s/n is JCH##### so its Johnson controls then..... Is that good or bad ?
Some will say JC is junk, but I disagree. Most of my batteries have been from them (Now named Clarios) and have lived good long lives, about 4-5 years before needed to replace them. I think JC is good..

Is the AGM platinum worth the extra

No I would not get an AGM for a car, they charge at a different rate than a lead-acid battery (your "normal" car battery). A regular battery charges at a higher voltage than an AGM.. If the car's electrical system is set up for a normal battery, you put an AGM in, it can overcharge it. This alone can damage the AGM. Not worth it..

I will add that I've seen ATLASBX/Hankook batteries with both ATL- and HAN- prefixes. Oddly the Delkor lead with FMP-.

No I would not get an AGM for a car, they charge at a different rate than a lead-acid battery (your "normal" car battery). A regular battery charges at a higher voltage than an AGM.. If the car's electrical system is set up for a normal battery, you put an AGM in, it can overcharge it. This alone can damage the AGM. Not worth it..
i am here to absorb so i will take this into consideration
There are a lot of cars and service centers including auto manufacturers are replacing LA with AGM.

whats the difference other than price of Boxed vs unBoxed battery at walmart

i am here to absorb so i will take this into consideration
There are a lot of cars and service centers including auto manufacturers are replacing LA with AGM.
Now the auto manufacturers would know to change the charging characteristics of their system to allow AGM batteries.. but service centers? Hope they have a good lawyer when those customers come back with damaged AGM batteries!.. Oh is this like the person who with a slurred speech says "TRUST ME I'M A PRUFUSSINAL".. many people out there in the auto field that have no business giving technical advice.. No I'm not being a snob, just realistic on their skill/knowledge set. Sometimes you are your best advocate. (y)

My Die Hard AGM battery is still going strong in my 08 Accord. Installed 6/09/2012.

I own a dealership and have bought hundreds of batteries over the last 20 years.

Your best ROI is going to be a Walmart ValuPower battery. Installation is free and that battery will last about 5 years. Cost is about $70.

Everything else is a warranty. You can also get refurbs and seconds at a used battery shop which will be slightly cheaper but you install those yourselves. Plus your chances for a second (unused battery that sits on a retail shelf due to low demand) is virtually nil since it's a popular battery size.

If it were my money, and it always is, I would just buy one of these.

From a practical stand point, that does not seem to be the case. I have installed AGM in older cars with no issue. Even Consumer Reports has recommended their membership consider AGMs (noting the price difference) even when not provided originally do to generally better performance and life. Though they do point out there are still many very well performing flooded batteries they have tested.

Thanks everyone for the education and guidance
I got the AGM platinum Everstart $149 (4 year warranty) - ordered online and arrived in 2 days in styrofoam boxed (date code 9/23)

Back