Looking to get a laptop, hows this look

Status
Not open for further replies.
Operating System FREE Upgrade to Genuine Windows XP Media Center!!
edit

Processor Intel(R) Core(TM) 2 Duo T5600(1.83GHz/2MB L2Cache)
edit

Display 15.4" WXGA BrightView Widescreen (1280x800)
edit

Graphics Card 256MB NVIDIA(R) GeForce(R) Go 7400
edit

Personalization HP Imprint Finish + Microphone + Webcam
edit

Memory 2048MB DDR2 System Memory (2 Dimm)
edit

Hard Drive FREE Upgrade from 40GB 5400 RPM to 80GB 5400 RPM
edit

Primary CD/DVD Drive LightScribe Super Multi 8X DVD+/-RW w/Double Layer
edit

Networking Intel(R) PRO/Wireless 3945ABG Network Connection
edit

TV & Entertainment Experience FREE Upgrade to HP ExpressCard Analog TV Tuner!!
edit

Primary Battery 6 Cell Lithium Ion Battery
edit

Productivity Software Microsoft(R) Works/Money

----------------------------------------------------------

Thats the overview of it, total cost is $1,288.99

I think it's pretty decent looking, looking at it for school but also to replace my 6 year old desktop, which isn't necessarily slow but dated. Gonna use this to play games and watch movies/tv, and I don't think I should have any issues, or am I wrong? My current hard drive is 80 gigs, I know how small they can be, but I plan on getting an external to hold all my videos/music as it's more cost effective and practical enough, so that solves my storage issues.

Anything else anybody can find comparable to this around this price? Also any opinions about HP? For that matter any suggestions?

Thanks

It looks good. The only thing that will help out performance, in a noticeable way, is to use a 7200RPM drive, if available. MUCH faster than the 5400RPM models.

If battery life is concern, the 9 cell batteries (if available) will last longer on those long plane rides, etc.

HP's are generally good like Dell, Toshiba, etc. Best Buy has a $999 Toshiba model in this week's flyer that was quite loaded: 160GB Hard disk, Core2Duo CPU, DVD writer, TruBrite Screen, Windows Media Center edition.

Enjoy!

I wanted a 7200 rpm drive, but I gotta step up to the 17" for that, too much more $$$. Anyway this 5400 is probably faster than my 6 year old 7200.

I was looking at a 9 cell battery, but don't they stick out of the laptop?

And I also looked at some comparable units, the reason I like this laptop so much is because it has a video card. Almost any other comparable one has integrated graphics.

For that kind of money, you can get a bigger, faster desktop system. Or if you must have portability, a rugged IBM or Toughbook with a little less toys.

Most laptops are usually good for one drop. Bells and whistles don't mean much scattered all over the floor.

Quote:

For that kind of money, you can get a bigger, faster desktop system. Or if you must have portability, a rugged IBM or Toughbook with a little less toys.

I know, it's killing me. I'm a desktop guy, but I need a laptop for school, and if im gonna get one im not gonna get no puny thing, im gonna get something that justifies me getting rid of my current desktop.

I would get a toughbook, they're very nice looking, but i'll manage with a HP I think. I have a ti-89 calc, small but it cost me $150, I take it with me a lot and I haven't dropped it once, so I think a laptop will be a piece of cake.

Quote:

too much money.

Usually someone posts a dell deal on slickdeals.net.

bowdown2.gif

I found a $200 off coupon on that website, makes it too irresistible to not buy it now.

BTW I owe you dinner.

If you need a notebook or laptop, Toshiba is the way to go.

If you purchase from Best Buy, go to Control Panel+Add or Remove Programs and remove all the crud the Geek Team has installed. Some of the worthless games and AOL stuff takes up a lot of disk space.

My wifes' 2004 IBM ThinkPad R52 and my newer (06) Lenovo ThinkPad R60 have been VERY good in rough daily use. solidly built, and the best keyboard ever! (on both of them)...very happy with these so far.

Tom, a neighbor showed me his new Toshiba laptop he just bought. It was very nice and fast (once he removed all the trial-ware from it). 15" X-brite style screen, 1GB RAM, 160GB HD, DVD writer, all the standard stuff, about $850. Toshiba makes some really good products.

Choosing a laptop PC can be a real challenge these days- but IMO if you stick with one of the name brands (e.g., Toshiba, HP, etc.) it's pretty hard to go wrong. Nowadays you can get quite a lot for the money.

FWIW, I bought an HP Pavilion DV8000t last year via Costco for about $1600 including tax, license, power steering and so forth. Even though it's almost a year old I do not feel "obsolesced" by what's available now (my '8000t is pre-Dual Core). You really do get a lot for the dollar these days, I just can't seem to stress that enough.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back