Looking to buy 2014 - 2016 Grand Cherokee

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by IveBeenRued
The difference is that the Honda, Toyota, and Hyundai that you list have been reengineered and now get Good or Acceptable ratings. 2018 Jeep Grand Cherokees still did as poorly as they did in 2016. The "American" makes are unfortunately falling behind on safety and have given the consumers no indication that they intend to address their deficiencies.

That's a wonderful story, but he's shopping the years mentioned, and all listed rated "poor" in that particular test, which was clearly my point. A 2016 RAV-4 owner should take solace in the fact that the 2018 model fares better? Hardly. What about the 2014 Pilot owner?

Your original statement was:
Originally Posted by IvebeenRued
Looks like the years that you are looking at did horrible in crash tests.

1. It only fared poorly in one test
2. A large segment of the market from the same era, which he's shopping, also fared poorly

Ergo, the GC didn't do "horrible" in crash tests, unless you feel inclined to revise your original statement and loop in all the vehicles from the various marques that performed poorly in that same test from that time period. Of course it then loses a great deal of its bite eh?
smirk.gif

Originally Posted by OVERKILL
Originally Posted by IveBeenRued
The difference is that the Honda, Toyota, and Hyundai that you list have been reengineered and now get Good or Acceptable ratings. 2018 Jeep Grand Cherokees still did as poorly as they did in 2016. The "American" makes are unfortunately falling behind on safety and have given the consumers no indication that they intend to address their deficiencies.

That's a wonderful story, but he's shopping the years mentioned, and all listed rated "poor" in that particular test, which was clearly my point. A 2016 RAV-4 owner should take solace in the fact that the 2018 model fares better? Hardly. What about the 2014 Pilot owner?

Your original statement was:
Originally Posted by IvebeenRued
Looks like the years that you are looking at did horrible in crash tests.

1. It only fared poorly in one test
2. A large segment of the market from the same era, which he's shopping, also fared poorly

Ergo, the GC didn't do "horrible" in crash tests, unless you feel inclined to revise your original statement and loop in all the vehicles from the various marques that performed poorly in that same test from that time period. Of course it then looses a great deal of its bite eh?
smirk.gif

Cx5 did fine. Compare it to something well made like a cx5. :p

...Of course it then looses a great deal of its bite eh?
smirk.gif

LoL, it sure wouldn't sound overly dramatic, now would it?

First it's a reliability nightmare, then an overhyped, underperforming, and overpriced and now it's a death trap.

The gems just keep popping up.
lol.gif

Originally Posted by Ws6

Cx5 did fine. Compare it to something well made like a cx5. :p

Yes, there were I'm sure a number of vehicles that fared well on that test, and a decent list of those that didn't. Given the age of the test, I don't think that should be surprising. I'd expect new platform revisions going forward to all do better on it. The Explorer hasn't been updated (like the GC) and that clearly shows in its results.

What's interesting is that the GC's platform mate, the Durango, did better:
https://www.iihs.org/ratings/vehicle/Dodge/durango-4-door-suv/2018

21.gif

And of course the Mercedes vehicles, based on the same platform, received a "G" rating.

The regular Jeep Cherokee (not a Mercedes shared platform) went from an "M" in 2016 to a "G" now for 2019 in the same test.

Originally Posted by Ws6

Safety matters. No vehicle is worth dying for the pleasure of owning, yeah?

I have never considered crash test results when buying a vehicle. As a matter of fact, my son's first car(back in 2012) was a 1975 2002.
That sure gave the hand-wringing bed wetters something to plaintively lecture me about...

Originally Posted by KrisZ
...Of course it then looses a great deal of its bite eh?
smirk.gif

LoL, it sure wouldn't sound overly dramatic, now would it?

First it's a reliability nightmare, then an overhyped, underperforming, and overpriced and now it's a death trap.

The gems just keep popping up.
lol.gif

Really, its a mechanically substandard but well appointed vehicle with decent road manners at a very low price (due to longevity/quality). Everyone I know who had had a JGC says they were very nice but spent a lot of time in the shop.

Originally Posted by Ws6

Really, its a mechanically substandard but well appointed vehicle with decent road manners at a very low price (due to longevity/quality). Everyone I know who had had a JGC says they were very nice but spent a lot of time in the shop.

Which one are you talking about here? Chrysler unfortunately went through a lot of hands, for such a big company and that is what hurts it the most.

However, after Fiat acquisition they started to improve dramatically in all aspects, including reliability.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Ws6

Which one are you talking about here? Chrysler unfortunately went through a lot of hands, for such a big company and that is what hurts it the most.

However, after Fiat acquisition they started to improve dramatically in all aspects, including reliability.

All of them. None of the JGCs have a good track record, but the WKs were worse than the later WK2s. Whe. You say "Fiat improved them", frankly, thats scary

Nothing I can find is inspiring regarding their reliability. n=1 reviews are the only ones I can find that are okay, but surveys, samples of a fleet, etc. Are uniformly mediocre to bad.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Ws6
[/quote]
All of them. None of the JGCs have a good track record, but the WKs were worse than the later WK2s. Whe. You say "Fiat improved them", frankly, thats scary

Nothing I can find is inspiring regarding their reliability. n=1 reviews are the only ones I can find that are okay, but surveys, samples of a fleet, etc. Are uniformly mediocre to bad.

Nothing scary about Fiat except to those that either remember 70s and 80s or those that like to repeat third, forth, fifth etc. hand experiences.
My brother has had nothing but Fiats for the past 20 years or so bought used to boot, they all went to about 200k miles before rust got to them and about 15 years. His current one is 18 years old and hasn't had anything major go on it, but the rust starts getting to it.

If you are so scared of Fiat, are you equally scared of Hyundai or Kia? You keep praising Mazda, but Mazda hasn't had a great record in the past as well.

Last edited:
Watched a couple vids at you tube on the oil filter housing replacement. Don't think I'd tackle the job myself. I'm really surprised that Chrysler hasn't re-engineered that part and just made it a aluminum or steel unit. Poor design for sure. Not a Definite dealbreaker but plastic, are you kidding me ? What kind of mileage do these vehicles get with the Hemi under the hood ?

Nothing scary about Fiat except to those that either remember 70s and 80s or those that like to repeat third, forth, fifth etc. hand experiences.
My brother has had nothing but Fiats for the past 20 years or so bought used to boot, they all went to about 200k miles before rust got to them and about 15 years. His current one is 18 years old and hasn't had anything major go on it, but the rust starts getting to it.

If you are so scared of Fiat, are you equally scared of Hyundai or Kia? You keep praising Mazda, but Mazda hasn't had a great record in the past as well.

Fiat continues to produce terribly unreliable vehicles. Mazda, Hyundai, and Kia, do not.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Ws6

Nope. Chrysler has always been bad, and always will be bad. They're the only manufacturer that is forbidden from ever improving themselves. Oh... and Mazda is the only company in the history of forever to go from below average to competing with Audi and Mercedes
28.gif

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Ammofirst
Watched a couple vids at you tube on the oil filter housing replacement. Don't think I'd tackle the job myself. I'm really surprised that Chrysler hasn't re-engineered that part and just made it a aluminum or steel unit. Poor design for sure. Not a Definite dealbreaker but plastic, are you kidding me ? What kind of mileage do these vehicles get with the Hemi under the hood ?

I had a WK, and I got 18-19mpg highway, and 16.5ish city. Dunno what the WK2s get, but the added gears were likely offset by the 500# or so weight gain, but Id wager they probably hit accurately or a hair better than their EPA rating, as mine did.

Originally Posted by Ws6

Fiat continues to produce terribly unreliable vehicles. Mazda, Hyundai, and Kia, do not.

I currently have 6 examples Within my immediate family that say you're wrong. According to you, they should all have grenaded themselves by now.
21.gif

Originally Posted by Skippy722
Originally Posted by Ws6

Nope. Chrysler has always been bad, and always will be bad. They're the only manufacturer that is forbidden from ever improving themselves. Oh... and Mazda is the only company in the history of forever to go from below average to competing with Audi and Mercedes
28.gif

Well, when the data reflects that Chrysler/FCA is as good as most other brands or better, then it will speak for itself. Until then, sorry.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.autoblog.com/amp/photos/consumer-reports-least-reliable-brands/

Love how Chrysler, Ram, and Jeep all made the list.

Originally Posted by Ws6

I currently have 6 examples Within my immediate family that say you're wrong. According to you, they should all have grenaded themselves by now.
21.gif

n=6. You surely understand how this is insignificant compared to other comparative sources?

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Ws6
Originally Posted by Ws6

21.gif

n=6. You surely understand how this is insignificant compared to other comparative sources?

And how many people contribute to that survey? According to CR, ~470,000. Jeep sold ~250,000 Grand Cherokee's alone last year. I'm going to go on a hunch and assume a very small number of CR's ~470,000 own FCA vehicles. So we are right back to being at insignificant numbers.

Originally Posted by Ws6
Originally Posted by Ws6

21.gif

And how many people contribute to that survey? According to CR, ~470,000. Jeep sold ~250,000 Grand Cherokee's alone last year. I'm going to go on a hunch and assume a very small number of CR's ~470,000 own FCA vehicles. So we are right back to being at insignificant numbers.

It's not just CR, but literally every publication that reviews reliability, that finds FCA/Jeep lacking.

Last edited:
Two more pages: They should get Mazda CX-5, it goes from 0-60 in no time.
Four more pages: My Mazda has less turbo lag than Porsche, and is faster than Mercedes GLC.
Six pages: What is JGC?

Originally Posted by edyvw
Two more pages: They should get Mazda CX-5, it goes from 0-60 in no time.
Four more pages: My Mazda has less turbo lag than Porsche, and is faster than Mercedes GLC.
Six pages: What is JGC?

Which page does he talk about driving the Mazda home from "pumping iron"? We all know that's coming. Talk about insecurity...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back