looking for tires for my mercedes 300d

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello, I need new tires for my 1984 300d. It takes 195/70r14. I was looking at the general altimax rt43 but it only has a 1 ply sidewall. I was feeling them in the store today and the difference between 1 ply sidewall and 2 ply was a lot. I have been reading that 2 ply sidewall tires seem to have better handling. I basically looking for the best handling tire in the size above. Thanks

Get some Michelin defenders. They would be cheap in that size. Bfg advantage ta might be a little more sporty. Sumitomo tires as well might not be bad

I know that is a good price for the defenders and i know all tires in my size are very cheap but i am not prepared to spend that much. I have camber issues on all 4 tires so i need to drop some coin on bushings and ball joints. Also so you know i do not drive my car in the rain or the cold weather. I only take it out on nice days. I also don't drive my car much so the tires will get replaced from age instead of wear. I s or t speed rated tires are fine because my car does not have a high top speed.

Last edited:
If you have camber issues a "better" tire might fight you more. I just got some great tires in that size from the junkyard of all places; they have TONS from cavaliers and cieras that are coming in. Save the $$$ for the inevitable front end work.

Last car I had with that size I put a set of Mich Harmony (discontinued?) but they made it drive much better.

BFGoodrich Traction T/As never sold well but were once available in that size and were also a very nice tire.

Shame you don't have Tire Discounters or a similar chain that offers a free alignment with tire purchase-when I had my '82 300D in they adjusted all 4 wheels, I never had a tire wear problem again.

Originally Posted By: joegreen
Hello, I need new tires for my 1984 300d. It takes 195/70r14. I was looking at the general altimax rt43 but it only has a 1 ply sidewall. I was feeling them in the store today and the difference between 1 ply sidewall and 2 ply was a lot. I have been reading that 2 ply sidewall tires seem to have better handling. I basically looking for the best handling tire in the size above. Thanks

First, if you sort what is available from Tire Rack, you won't find 195/70R14 in truly "handling" categories - the ones labeled "Performance". The best you can hope for is "touring" which is a compromise between handling and soft ride - and you can find quite a range even within "touring".

Second, the number of plies is a pretty weak indicator of handling. Directionally more plies is better, but there are so many other things that have a greater impact how a tire handles.

Besides, inflation pressure has THEE biggest effect on handling, so you can always put in a few more psi to get more handling

Typically old Mercedes do better if you up size the tires a bit. You can probably go to like a 205.

The Generals would be a huge leap from the tires that came on this old Benz new.
These cars don't have tremendous grip, rather they have good compliance and safe handling as the limit is approached.
I'd have no problem with General RT43s on one of these.
Can you post any pictures of this Dr. Diesel.
Many of us have owned and still like these old dears.

I decided to go with the rt43's. Ill post up some pics of the car and a pic of the metal showing through the old goodyear viva 2's. Those tires came on the car when i bought it. What a piece of [censored] those tires are. Beware the car is not the prettiest.

I actually cant find any pics of my car but here is the bad tire. The rest are practically falling apart as well. I have not driven the car since i found this. I cant figure out how to post pics

Go to "www.tinypic.com" and upload the pic, then copy and paste the link for "forums" on here

I thought that steel was just tire bling. It looks like that tire was dragged because of the big wear mark.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back