Looking for the best way to connect wires.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by atikovi
Originally Posted by spavel6
Just curious, what is wrong with the HF or AAP butt-connectors? Is there a place locally that you can get "high quality" connectors? What would you look for?

I tried to look at them online, but I feel like shipping is going to be killer if I need one or two of these..

Made in China of probably thin gauge steel. I look for 3M, Scotch, Panduit, brands. I just ordered a bag of these 3M on Ebay https://www.ebay.com/itm/75-22-18-G...m5900e0a671:g:s3kAAOSwmudZ9ieJ:rk:1:pf:0 They do have different size assortments.

What do you expect, heavy gauge steel?

The 3M you linked has a copper core, which is more malleable than steel. Heavy gauge steel that you think is better, will have a more difficult time to be hand crimped, thus cause a poor connection (won't grab onto the wire filament)

Last edited:
Originally Posted by UG_Passat
Originally Posted by atikovi
Originally Posted by spavel6
Just curious, what is wrong with the HF or AAP butt-connectors? Is there a place locally that you can get "high quality" connectors? What would you look for?

I tried to look at them online, but I feel like shipping is going to be killer if I need one or two of these..

Made in China of probably thin gauge steel. I look for 3M, Scotch, Panduit, brands. I just ordered a bag of these 3M on Ebay https://www.ebay.com/itm/75-22-18-G...m5900e0a671:g:s3kAAOSwmudZ9ieJ:rk:1:pf:0 They do have different size assortments.

What do you expect, heavy gauge steel?

The 3M you linked has a copper core, which is more malleable than steel. Heavy gauge steel that you think is better, will have a more difficult time to be hand crimped, thus cause a poor connection (won't grab onto the wire filament)

Where did I say heavy gauge steel is better? I was trying get across that the Chinese ones use cheaper thin steel while the 3M uses more expensive and better conducting copper.

Next time you are in the neighbor hood of an airport, to a supply house and get aircraft splices. They are seamless and work well. In general aircraft hardware, switches etc. are far better than you find at the local car store. MHO
Smoky

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back