Looking for opinions 720P vs 1080i

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wife and I just bought a Panasonic 50 inch 1080P plasma TV and moved our 720P plasma into the bedroom. We have Cox cable and have their HD boxes. Here's where I'm looking for opinions; I know that 720P or 1080i are the highest HD resolutions that stations and cable channels send out. Some like ESPN and ABC owned channels send 720P, others use 1080i. With our 720P plasma I set the Cox box to send out 720P for all channels and was very happy with the results.

With the 1080P set the decision is not as easy. Searching the internet some "experts" recommend setting the cable box to send 1080i for all channels since this is what works best with 1080P sets, other say select both 720P and 1080i which I am currently doing with my Cox box. Under this setup if it's a 720P channel like ESPN the box sends 720P, for anything else (480i, 480p, or 1080i) the box sends 1080i. I tried both ways and there's little or any difference we can tell, but I would like to get other opinions in case there's something I'm missing. Thanks...

Select both 720P and 1080i; whatever the channels native resolution and interlacing is, you want that to hit your TV, without any additional processing.

Setting everything to 720P means its stripping 1080i of pixel resolution (so you lose some clarity), setting everything to 1080i means its interlacing progressive video (which is bad for fast action stuff, like sports).

Thats your best option, but like Danno said, you likely won't notice a huge difference.

You want them both enabled and that native resolution sent to the TV. This assumes that the conversion on the TV is better than in the cable box, which is usually the case since the tv manufacturer knows more about the panel in the tv than the cable box provider.

You sound like you watch a lot of high action programs like sports and movies, for programming like this 720p is the better option. For other programs that action and a lot of movement is not a part of the programming 1080i would be a better option IMO.

So my short answer is both but it is your personal preference.

Set the box to 720p like the monitor.

Both formats get the same bandwidth at the cable head-end so the 1080 won't look much better if there's any motion. Still you want the least re-scaling you can get.

Originally Posted By: dave1251
You sound like you watch a lot of high action programs like sports and movies, for programming like this 720p is the better option. For other programs that action and a lot of movement is not a part of the programming 1080i would be a better option IMO.

So my short answer is both but it is your personal preference.

Thanks for your replies. Yes, I do watch a lot of NFL games, some NASCAR, and occasionally Phoenix Suns basketball. As far as action movies I've noticed many of them include a lot of low light scenes (at night, in dimly lit rooms, etc) so while the picture is clear and sharp the colors are muted. To me sports alone make an HDTV worth it as the picture is incredible.

^ +1. The claim is that OTA signals are uncompressed digital while cable, satellite, and fiber compresses the signal a bit to save on bandwidth. I have both Dish and an attic antenna connected to my 720p TV and I can't tell a difference. Maybe I could if I had a bigger, 1080p TV. My Vizio is five years old and only 32."

Originally Posted By: DBMaster
Maybe I could if I had a bigger, 1080p TV. My Vizio is five years old and only 32."

Yup... only when you get above 42" or so would you realistically notice a difference between 720 and 1080. Now if you're using it as a computer monitor, that's another story.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back