Looking for another car

Status
Not open for further replies.
Currently, I drive an '03 Z06 every day, the practicality of the car, or lack of it, is starting to show. My commute is about 15 miles each way so I'm not driving a lot.

I'm in the military, I'm stationed in Louisiana so we don't get snow here. However, when we get extended weekends or go on leave, I will be heading north back home to Chicago. Therefore, I need another car for those trips.

I've driven my Z06 to many places, it's a great road trip car but in the winter, it's basically useless. Not a problem down here but going home, it will be an issue.

I've been looking into small cars with good mileage, manual or automatic transmission doesn't matter.

Would like to stay $20k or less.

So far, I have on my list:

Volkswagen Jetta-I know it's an entry level car but the SE w/convenience comes with heated seats and that's something I really miss.

Camry-I would like heated seats as well but it looks like I would have to step up to the higher trim and that would put me over budget.

Buick-yes, I know they're considered old people cars but they come with a lot of creature comforts. Plus, if a senior drove it before, my assumption is that it was regularly serviced.

Hyundai Santa Fe-never owned an SUV before. This is the outcast of the group being an SUV. Not sure about long term quality and durability of the Hyundai's, though.

Hyundai Sonata-seems like a great little car.

Any other suggestions out there?

I can get a new Jetta for $18.5 or so. I think with my budget, that's probably the only new car I would be able to get, the others would have to be used.

Maybe he is an Officer and can easily afford a 2nd new car. You would be surprised at what commissioned Officers make with all the stuff they don't have to pay for.

What about the Corolla if you want to stay under $20K ?
21.gif

How about something funky, loaded with hi-tech, gets 35-38 mpg, with the looks of a 0-60/6.0 secs chick magnet? Talkin' 'bout Hyundai Veloster.

Why don't you just buy a 5000 dollar practical car like a early 2000's civic, or a 99-05 grand am, or a Buick park avenue??

I don't see any reason to own two 20k cars when you won't be driving the 2nd one much, unless you have too much money...

Last edited by a moderator:
Originally Posted By: Brenden
Why don't you just buy a 5000 dollar practical car like a early 2000's civic, or a 99-05 grand am, or a Buick park avenue??

I don't see any reason to own two 20k cars when you won't be driving the 2nd one much, unless you have too much money...

+1

Cheaper and used is the way to go....

Originally Posted By: daves87rs
Originally Posted By: Brenden

+1 Cheaper and used is the way to go....

+2! If you have the money, get whatever you want.

If you kind of have the money, get a "beater" example of the car you want and love it.

If you dont have the money get the car that does everything the car you want does and like it.
Quote:
Maybe he is an Officer and can easily afford a 2nd new car. You would be surprised at what commissioned Officers make with all the stuff they don't have to pay for.

+1 Military has some nice rides. My buddy was stationed Navy base. Two VERY nice vehicles, one brandy new one decked out fast. Other officers have nicer cars. Military has $$$$$ and a discount.

2012 Hyundai Elantra and the '12 Ford Focus both can have heated seats. Reviews of these modest cars has been favorable as well. They get fantastic mpg's and should serve you well in anything other than a Chicago blizzard (when nobody should be on the road).

Older Buicks make the ultimate road-trip car. The LeSabre and the Park Avenue are essentially rolling living rooms. They also will get 30+ mpg doing so.

My Cruze Eco MT was right around $20k OTD after all taxes/fees. It's a fun car to drive, and gets over 40 MPG on the highway. It's also available sitting on a dealer lot.

I disagree with the 2012 Elantra getting "fantastic" MPG. The EPA is nice, however, the automatics are known for not reaching EPA fuel economy. The manual Elantra does indeed beat EPA handily, but good luck finding one.

Originally Posted By: sciphi
Older Buicks make the ultimate road-trip car. The LeSabre and the Park Avenue are essentially rolling living rooms. They also will get 30+ mpg doing so.

My Cruze Eco MT was right around $20k OTD after all taxes/fees. It's a fun car to drive, and gets over 40 MPG on the highway. It's also available sitting on a dealer lot.

I disagree with the 2012 Elantra getting "fantastic" MPG. The EPA is nice, however, the automatics are known for not reaching EPA fuel economy. The manual Elantra does indeed beat EPA handily, but good luck finding one.

Really? I didn't know the Elantra didn't get the advertised 40ish mpg on the highway. Could you direct me to the source of your information, as I'm interested in seeing what the deal is.

Im gonna vote Park Avenue Ultra for road trip car. that, or any older Caprice/ROADMASTER. The LeSabre was alright but had a little bit of room for improvement, IMHO. LOVE THAT BENCH FRONT SEAT!!! Gets competition every time. What was the last year of the Ultra, and what years was it the "Ultra" and what years was it the "Park Avenue Ultra?"

Also.. Roadmaster = "Buick Caprice" with extreme luxury, last year 1996 i think? and Ultra/Park Ave Ultra = 200what..

Originally Posted By: andrewg

Really? I didn't know the Elantra didn't get the advertised 40ish mpg on the highway. Could you direct me to the source of your information, as I'm interested in seeing what the deal is.

http://autos.aol.com/article/hyundai-elantra-fuel-economy/
http://www.autoblog.com/2011/08/01/2011-hyundai-elantra-limited-review/
http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/sedans/1107_best_selling_compact_sedan_comparison/viewall.html

Those should get you started.

Originally Posted By: andrewg

http://autos.aol.com/article/hyundai-elantra-fuel-economy/
http://www.autoblog.com/2011/08/01/2011-hyundai-elantra-limited-review/
http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/sedans/1107_best_selling_compact_sedan_comparison/viewall.html

Those should get you started.

Now that's an eye opener! Seems like there is a definite issue with the gas mileage. I stand corrected....I would stay away from that car then.
Thanks for providing the links.

Only one in the group I'd buy new is the Jetta. Road trips from here to Chicago is 14.5 hours each way. Road trips from Oklahoma to Chicago is 13 hours. I need something reliable.

Two things I want and will not get a car without:

auxiliary audio input
heated seats

That's why the Corolla is out.

Jetta has both, and the 2.5 is a great base motor if going new. Also doesnt have a timing belt like the 2.0t so right there is a step ahead.

Originally Posted By: Audios
Jetta has both, and the 2.5 is a great base motor if going new. Also doesnt have a timing belt like the 2.0t so right there is a step ahead.

The new Jetta is sharp and from what i read about the old ones, i would chose the new over even a "GLI." And the Jetta Hybrid is coming out next year! What will become of the TDI? Also heard good things about the TDI. Black 2011 Jetta, Hybrid coming 2012 or 2013.. yes!

TDI sport cups are really. really. nice. I think the new jettas are like 16k too, alot of car for the money. Although its alot larger.

This generation jetta is $4k cheaper than the previous one. Austerity is nice but what did they take out? It has a solid rear axle but that's not $4k there.

It sounds like a good compromise between comfort, economy, and road holding.

Someone, JC whitney, must have a heat pad for the seat if it's a sticking point.

I personally don't find bench seats comfortable, my butt cheeks get tense holding me up against the G-forces. I had a grand marquis and found it, meh. If you got something like a Marauder with highly bolstered leather seats, you might like that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back