Looking for an SUV

5K lb trailer and 4 people comfortably? The Tahoe/Yukon are the only choice on that list.

Reserve Towing capacity >5K, full size comfortable seating, and wheelbase for the win. You can probably find one with a factory brake controller too.

I’m with Zaedock. A Sequoia, Armada or Expedition would also handle your requirements. Once you load a family and some stuff in a 4Runner and then tow a 4-5,000 pound boat I’m afraid you are running out of payload.

I own two 4runners (2005 & 2017). I would not tow 5k lbs with either of them regularly.
I own two 4runners (2005 & 2017). I would not tow 5k lbs with either of them regularly.

I used to own a 2013 Sequoia. I towed 5k+ lbs with mine and it handled it just fine. Ours had the air suspension, so it countered any tongue weight and sag wasn't an issue. I'd definitely recommend a Sequoia over a 4Runner given the towing requirement. When looking for the Sequoia, I also considered a Land Cruiser/LX570. Went with the Sequoia due to more interior room.

Last September, I traded the Sequoia in on a new 2021 Tahoe with the 6.2. Haven't towed with it yet. A 3-4 year old Tahoe/Yukon/Suburban (presumably with the 5.3) should be able to do what you want without issue. Given your 5k towing requirement, I'd recommend picking one of the larger vehicles.

Good luck with your purchase!
What about the 4 Runners makes you uneasy to tow? It’s rated for 5,000 pounds.
The Sequoa is an option.

What about the 4 Runners makes you uneasy to tow? It’s rated for 5,000 pounds.
The Sequoa is an option.

Size wise, I just feel like there's more risk of the tail wagging the dog with the smaller 4Runner. Complete guess here, but I envision having to really wind out the 4.0 to keep up on the highway or when going over mountains/hills when towing a load, too.

The best choice is the least favorite here on BITOG. Get a 2018 Dodge Durango with a V8 and AWD. The AWD has a high and low range.
They don't hold value like a Toyota.
Worth watching this if your considering the sister Jeep or a Dodge.

He also mentioned ground clearance. I’m not sure any listed really help there. The Tahoe is pretty normal-clearanced IMO. The 4runner is about the same but with a smaller wheelbase may have an advantage. They drive better when not all jacked up.

a 4klb boat is a lot easier to pull than a 4klb camper, BUT add in fuel and equipment and you’re at 4500 lbs easily, and more. 50gal tank of fuel is 400lbs alone.

towing on a boat ramp I’d want RWD or significantly robust AWD with a center diff, not a rear wheel assist. Not sure what the Touareg awd system is all about there.

He also mentioned ground clearance. I’m not sure any listed really help there. The Tahoe is pretty normal-clearanced IMO. The 4runner is about the same but with a smaller wheelbase may have an advantage. They drive better when not all jacked up.

a 4klb boat is a lot easier to pull than a 4klb camper, BUT add in fuel and equipment and you’re at 4500 lbs easily, and more. 50gal tank of fuel is 400lbs alone.

towing on a boat ramp I’d want RWD or significantly robust AWD with a center diff, not a rear wheel assist. Not sure what the Touareg awd system is all about there.
Full time AWD with front-rear torque vectoring. My TDI is rated at 225/406 and has an 8k tow rating.

The 4Runner at 120" of wheel base IS NOT the ideal tow vehicle. A short wheelbase is a DISADVANTAGE when towing.
What is your point the 2020 tahoe is 116" ? I suppose thats not idea either but hes not towing a 30ft camper.
2021 expedition is 122"

The 4Runner at 120" of wheel base IS NOT the ideal tow vehicle. A short wheelbase is a DISADVANTAGE when towing.
Hence my post of Tahoe/Yukon and maybe a 4Runner, out of those options. Also, no one said a 4Runner was an ideal tow vehicle.

if it were me, I’d get a Suburban and skip the options presented but it’s not.

What is your point the 2020 tahoe is 116" ? I suppose thats not idea either but hes not towing a 30ft camper.
2021 expedition is 122"
The point being no matter what the vehicle at around 120" wheelbase you are SAFLEY LIMITED to 20 feet of camper.

What do you tow?

The point being no matter what the vehicle at around 120" wheelbase you are SAFLEY LIMITED to 20 feet of camper.

What do you tow?
There is no hard rule for that. And it can depend on many things.
The profile of the trailer, the distance between the coupler and the trailer wheels, the antisway setup.
The weight of the towing vehicle. etc.
Also there is so hard "safley limit" the actual general guideline you mentioned is commonly found on the internet as 110" wheelbase for 20ft, and add 4" of wheelbase for every ft of trailer, but again that is extremely generic and you have to take into account more variables.

A 8000lb suv with 116" will tow a 20ft long popup trailer better than a 6000lb truck with 120" will tow a tall RV trailer of similar length. etc.

As to what I tow? Plenty.

Back