Looking For an Oil for 2007 Prius

Shel_B

Site Donor 2023
My sweetie has a 2007 Prius with about 93K on the clock. She bought the car new, and it's been very well maintained. She puts less than 5K per year on the car now ... this year (2020) will be less than 3K, 98% in town. I'd like a decent quality oil that can handle a once-per-year OCI. For convenience and cost, I'd like to stick with Walmart as the source. Was thinking SuperTech and QSUD. Prices on those a quite good now. What else is worth considering? Would like to keep the cost down as I'm spending someone else's $$$. Will probably go with a Fram Ultra filter.

Those will be fine. Havoline from Walmart usually goes cheap and it’s good too so that might be worth considering or Valvoline or Castrol are cheap there too.

You want to keep costs down but you want a premium filter? You could use that filter for two oci's, that would cut the costs down. Any certified synthetic Walmart brand or major brand in the proper grade will be absolutely fine.

+2 on the supertech synthetic. $15 for 5 quarts vs $12.xx, a no-brainer.

I have a couple of these cars, one with over 300k, and can't think of too much else you should be doing. Maybe an antifreeze changeout, but get the genuine coolant.

+2 on the supertech synthetic. $15 for 5 quarts vs $12.xx, a no-brainer.

I have a couple of these cars, one with over 300k, and can't think of too much else you should be doing. Maybe an antifreeze changeout, but get the genuine coolant.

Engine coolant and inverter coolant will be changed, as will xmission / transaxle fluid, power steering, and brake fluid. Engine air and cabin filters will be check and replaced with Denso filters if needed.

Any API SP/SN+/SN oil you can get your hands on (from Walmart). For better protection, M1 0W-40, also from Walmart.

You want to keep costs down but you want a premium filter? You could use that filter for two oci's, that would cut the costs down. Any certified synthetic Walmart brand or major brand in the proper grade will be absolutely fine.
Yes, I like premium filters, and the cost thru Walmart for a premium filter is way lower than what we'd pay elsewhere in our area for a lesser quality filter. I feel the value is there. After a year I'll see what kind of mileage and driving conditions the car went through and decide if I'll reuse the filter.

I think you would be hard pressed to find an oil better than Mobil 1 EP 5W30, that's what I run in my xB in my sig, now at 109K, still with no consumption, and a Fram Ultra filter, both of which are rated for 20,000 miles on a clean non-hybrid engine.

Back in 2007 and 2008 5W30 was the recommendation in the manual and on the filler cap. Daughter has 170,000 on her 2008, several different synthetics over the years at around 6000-7000 mile OCIs.

I think you would be hard pressed to find an oil better than Mobil 1 EP 5W30, that's what I run in my xB in my sig, now at 109K, still with no consumption, and a Fram Ultra filter, both of which are rated for 20,000 miles on a clean non-hybrid engine.
I know Mobil 1 EP is a fine oil. Use it in my Camry. The circumstances surrounding the Prius are different ... very different ... and not just related to how and where the car is used.

You could use 0w-20; based on the described duty cycle, the odds of the oil getting to full temp is low.

M1 0w-20 EP FTW; I wouldn't have a problem with a 2 year OCI.

Back