Looking for a new 10" tablet

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by Triple_Se7en
Originally Posted by Vern_in_IL
Xperia Z4 Tablet, I want my tablets to be dust/water resistant.

I got the Original Sonly Xperia Z, and the only limiting factor was that Android was only upgraded once from Sony. The new ones are better.

I can take my tablet in humid/wet environments,

Wow..... the price is high and the product is big. If I can't put the product into my side cargo pant-pocket, it's not for me.

Well the OP did say a 10" tablet,
wink.gif

Wow, there is so much out there.

After perhaps too much reading I might be on the 'slippery slope' as I am leaning toward a Samsung Tab A 10.1

It seems Samsung tend to update more than others (I don't want to find that my tablet is getting obsolete in a year or so) and there is a long battery run time.
I also do not feel that I am giving up something that was available on my current tablet (like GPS) of find resorces limited just to save a few $

Your thoughts appreciated,
Thanks.

I was just going to recommend the A10.1. I use mine several hours per day and often only recharge every other day thanks to the large battery capacity. I have the wi-fi only, non S-pen version. BTW it's easily rooted and quite a few custom ROMs available (I'm running AICP "Pie" on mine).

Quote: BTW it's easily rooted and quite a few custom ROMs available (I'm running AICP "Pie" on mine).

Sorry, I am not very computer literate, can you tell me what ROMs are? I guess pie is the operating system like 'ice cream'

....iPad

My iPad Pro is almost 3 years old and has been 100% flawless. Battery life is basically the same as when it was new, and I use it HEAVILY everyday since new.

Actually the same with my iPhone, just shy of 3 years old with my 7+, flawless.

Originally Posted by expat
Quote: BTW it's easily rooted and quite a few custom ROMs available (I'm running AICP "Pie" on mine).

Sorry, I am not very computer literate, can you tell me what ROMs are? I guess pie is the operating system like 'ice cream'

Basically, rooted allows the user access to the entire system (eliminates restrictions set by the OEM - Samsung in this case). The custom ROMs are basically just alternate versions of Android, including android versions that may not (or will be supported by the OEM). A benefit is reducing a lot of the bundled bloatware and apps the device ships with. This usually ends up taking less storage and memory. A few examples available are Lineage, AICP, and Resurrection Remix versions of Android Pie. There are several similar versions of Oreo as well.

All that said, sticking with the OEM system is perfectly fine as it ensures full hardware support for the device, which can be an issue for some cameras or cellular capabilities (like VoLTE for example). It just depends on how much "control" you want over the device or how important it is to you to have the latest Android level.

That aside, it's a pretty nice tablet. Also, I believe I saw it avalable as one of the Amazon Prime day deals for around $150 this morning.

Originally Posted by Nick1994
....iPad

My iPad Pro is almost 3 years old and has been 100% flawless. Battery life is basically the same as when it was new, and I use it HEAVILY everyday since new.

I thought the pro came out last year?

But I second this. iPad's just work. Software update support, at least historically, been better for them as well.

Originally Posted by ls973800
Purchased the ONN 10.1 tablet a few weeks ago. It's Walmart's own brand but pretty good for the money. Full latest Android system 9 Pie, BT, GPS, slot for additional storage, etc. Only $79.00 which is what I bought instead of the $99.00 one which includes a keyboard.

Replaced my Fire 8 HD because I finally got tired of Amazons operating system. Didn't want to try any Android hacks to make it work like I thought it should. I bought it about 4 years ago but time to move on.

I went to Walmart's website and took a look. They don't mention a lot of the features (Bluetooth, expansible memory SD card). Only complaint seemed to be the screen resolution, but is it that bad? Seems like a good buy for what it is if someone doesn't want to spend a lot of money for a non-main device to play on.

Thanks guys, I ended up buying an open box Samsung Tab A 10.5 from Best Buy saving $100 over regular price.

If it works as well as this old Tab 4 has, I will be happy.

A few comments...
Apple products are top notch quality. Expensive, but "the best" usually is.
I love my iPad, but after getting my Chromie, I have hardly touched my Air.

There are 3 major operating systems:
IOS - Apple only
Windows - Microsoft O/S, runs on most of the world's notebooks and desktops.
Chrome O/S - Google, Android cell phones. #1 for phones.

I have the Asus C302, which has been around for about 3 years.
It runs Chrome O/S, which is why it is a "Chromebook".
Chrome is a very lightweight O/S, as compared to IOS and Windows.
It requires much less horsepower (CPU and RAM) to run efficiently.
Many Android apps run on Chromebooks nowadays, which is really great.
Also, Google designed Chrome from the beginning to run "in the cloud" rather than on local hard drives.

I love my Chromie.
Interestingly, Chromebooks sell more than Apple laptops.
Schools use Chromebooks as well.
Of course, cost is a big factor.

Originally Posted by Skippy722

....iPad

But I second this. iPad's just work. Software update support, at least historically, been better for them as well.

Nah, I got my iPad Pro in September 2016.

Originally Posted by Skippy722

....iPad

Nah, I got my iPad Pro in September 2016.

I refuse to acknowledge 2016 was 3 years ago, it feels like just a year ago!!!!!

Originally Posted by MoneyJohn
If you can spare $250, iPad. I hate to recommend it because I absolutely detest Apple's planned obsolescence, but for the updates and the variety of apps, Apple is best.

I'm going to agree with this. I absolutely detest anything apple but for the casual user with casual usage, you can't beat Apple. Quoting somebody earlier in this thread, "It just works" and that's probably the most important thing for a normal user.

But I do wish the 3 iPads that I have at work charged more than 3% a night.

Originally Posted by Pew
Originally Posted by MoneyJohn
If you can spare $250, iPad. I hate to recommend it because I absolutely detest Apple's planned obsolescence, but for the updates and the variety of apps, Apple is best.

I'm going to agree with this. I absolutely detest anything apple but for the casual user with casual usage, you can't beat Apple. Quoting somebody earlier in this thread, "It just works" and that's probably the most important thing for a normal user.

But I do wish the 3 iPads that I have at work charged more than 3% a night.

I have not been sold on Apple. My first Ipad/tablet was an Apple I was told at the Apple store when I could not log into my back account my Ipad was out of date and I may as well use it as a frizzby. They then tried to sell me another Apple!

My Samsung android ($250, half the price of an iPad back then) has been great for 4 years, not a penny spent, no iTunes hassels. I really don'understand the Applel hype.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back