Looking For A Medium Sized 4 WD SUV Under $35,000

Status
Not open for further replies.
My neighbor is looking for a medium to large SUV for under $35,000 it does not have to be flashy just brand new an 4 Wheel Drive.. She is looking for something reliable with a good warranty like Hyundai. Anyone have any ideas as to a nice reliable vehicle in that price range? Hyundai is no longer an inexpensive vehicle they are built well and have a good reputation and have pretty much the best warranties so their prices are way up there these days.

Lots of choices out there IMO.

Is a Subaru Outback large enough?

If not, Toyota Highlander, or 4Runner for slightly more.

Jeep Grand Cherokee getting decent reviews, but don't know about reliability since Fiat took over.

Sounds like you want a like minded person to mention Hyundai.
Look at a Toyota Highlander. And that Hyundai "suburb" Hyundai warranty is for the powertrain. The average vehicle regardless of make, doesn't have powertrain issues before 100K miles. Hyundai isn't offering a 100K bumper to bumper warranty.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: donnyj08
Also new GM vehicles come with a 100k mile power train warranty as well
As long as it's a 2015.

2016 models are 60k mile powertrain warranty.

This is one of the most popular segments of the market. I would say that the Toyota Highlander would probably lead the pack in terms of being low risk. Everything else seems to have a variable that's either relatively new to market or has demonstrated issues in the past. Honda Pilots have VCM. Nissan Pathfinders have the CVT. Ford's Explorer and GM's SUVs seem to have a dodgy shared-design transmission. Jeep's Grand Cherokee doesn't lead anyone's reliability list in this class.

In general, I don't think you can go wrong with anything in this class. But, I think the Highlander likely offers the best statistical chances of being good over a very long period of time.

Originally Posted By: stevejones
Interesting....when I think of a good 4WD SUV, everything BUT Hyundai comes to mind....

A testament to their marketing department for sure.

I also vote Highlander. It's the safest bet and when you go to trade it will still be worth something.

Originally Posted By: Nick1994
Originally Posted By: donnyj08
Also new GM vehicles come with a 100k mile power train warranty as well
As long as it's a 2015.

2016 models are 60k mile powertrain warranty.

+1 I should have specified.

Explorer would be a decent bet too. As would be the Traverse.

I'm not a fan of the new Explorer's front end but they are selling like hotcakes. The powertrain is solid - 3.5L or 2.0 Ecoboost.

Kia would come to mind as a lower priced alternative to Hyundai. IIRC they still have the 100k powertrain warranty.

Last edited:
What does she need this vehicle to do? Any towing? Need a 3rd row/seat more than 5? Any need for off road capability? I assume she's buying and planning to keep a while, not leasing.

Honda Pilot or Crv
Toyota Highlander or Rav
Mitsubishi Outlander
Mazda CX9
Nissan Pathfinder
Subaru
Ford Explorer
GM
Dodge
Jeep
Hyundai
Kia

Extended warranties are available for most brands. I would not use warranty as a deal breaker parameter. Previous reliability, automaker history, resale or trade in value... and above all, the woman must like the vehicle.

Test drive what is out there. Buy nothing until she has driven them all. Then pick what she wants and haggle among multiple dealers, online sellers/pricing...

Leftover 2015s will be on the lots with 2016s being delivered. You can get a good discount ... like a $42k vehicle for $35k if you do the research.

$35k... I wouldn't bother with demos or used. And, I would not pay more than 90% MSRP.

Pricing comparator link

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back