Looking for a diesel fuel additive....

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was wondering what your guys outlook is on the diesel fuel additives. Ive ran Archoil fuel additive, Optiluve and now Rev-X Distance Plus. Ive never noticed any performance, easier starting or MPG enhancement. I dont have any issues with my truck, so maybe that's why?

Anyway, I see people talk alot about TCW3 in the fuel. To me, I dont think that it should be added because the oil was not meant to be injected and compressed that much in a diesel. Im kinda thinking it will cause deposits maybe?

I also seen people say that use 1oz TCW3 plus .32oz of diesel clean mixture.. What is your guys input?

Cna you have TOO much in your diesel fuel, additive wise?

Worth adding something else like Diesel clean to it?

Im wondering if it can still be stable at such high compression/injection pressures and still be, well still be oil and lubricate? I think of it like cooking oil, if you heat it at the right temp, its great. Heat it up too much, and it will burn.

Thtas all Im basing my idea off of.

You do not say what yr and kind of truck. The addition of TCW-3 is mainly done by people with older diesels that were designed when there was more sulfur in the fuel. Particularly those with a mechanical injector pump (my VP44 is $2500).

Are you using an additive for cold weather? What reason?

A few additives in the HFRR standard test (MMO was one) actually made the diesel fuel worse with respect to lubricity.

If you Google HFRR you should find some tests of diesel additives.

I think truck drivers use the white container of Diesel Fuel Supplement or gray container of Diesel Kleen.

Originally Posted By: NattyBoh
Worth adding something else like Diesel clean to it?

Im wondering if it can still be stable at such high compression/injection pressures and still be, well still be oil and lubricate? I think of it like cooking oil, if you heat it at the right temp, its great. Heat it up too much, and it will burn.

Thtas all Im basing my idea off of.
my injectors pop at only 1850 psi.i use it to lube the injection pump

I've used a Red Line product for cold weather and one of their other additives for over the road trucks. We did before and after testing, some with instrumentation and got good results. I'm sure there are others out there as well. It's just that these are the ones I'm familiar with.

Additives.

I guess it depends on what one is looking for out of an additive. Lubricity, then just buy diesel with some biodiesel in it. A simple 2% blend will have more lubricity than any additive. It raises the lubricity to pre-ULSD levels. And most places have bio in the diesel now, so it doesn't cost anything extra.

For cold weather, there is a long list of good additives to use. For keeping little organisms from setting up house in your fuel system, I recommend dosing the tank occasionally with FPPF Killem. With the advent of ULSD, seems like there is more problem with organisms that eat diesel fuel getting a colony started in a lot of fuel tanks. Dosing the tanks with a biocide occasionally is a good idea.

Chris, did you try any of the truck stops? Seems that all I ever find, regardless of where I run my semi truck, is bio laced diesel. Granted, I don't do CA, so can't state categorically that the T/S have bio blended fuel. But seems like all the major Loves, Pilot, T/A, Flying J, etc truck stops have it at the pumps wherever I go in my roughly 21 state operation.

Thanks guys. Im looking to do it all if possible. A little more Cetane is good ( its a performance diesel that is daily driven. ) since Im running larger injectors, more timing etc.

Lubricity is main though. Id like to keep my injectors lubed as well as possible. Its a 2006 6.0 powerstroke.

I would not put oil in. It may help lubricity, but won't help bacteria or water, and won't help the cloud or pumping values in the winter.

I'm about to test this product, as part of several additives I'm launching. I spent the day studying some very impressive tests with Cummins and other engines, and the results on paper are impressive. My test samples should be out of customs tomorrow.

Diesel Power

Power Service products are good

diesel kleen in the warmer months
Diesel fuel supplement in the colder months

That's what I used in my old VW diesel

I have grown attached to the Schaeffer line of diesel fuel additives. Very cost effective compared to other products I have used in the past. And it seems to take care of any winter issues I have running the upper midwest and Dakotas all winter.

Originally Posted By: dervdave
Opti Lube XPD

I have used it and noticed zero from it. Although you can say that about a lot of the additives. I am using Rev-X Distance+ and that has seemed to give me a SLIGHT boost in mileage. Works for winter time too, I went do to almost -10 last year and zero gelling.

Cetane relates to how quickly the fuel ignites in the cylinder after injection. Higher is good (quicker ignition) if the engine can take advantage of it. If not, your money is wasted.

Winter additives stop the agglomeration of wax particles in #2 diesel fuel. #2-D has more energy per gallon than #1, as well as better lubricity. Use #2 with the additive until temps drop extremely low.

Additives for detergency, for lubricity all seem to be a good idea, but it's hard to see them pay off. Killing the microbes that can grow on the fuel/water interface in the tank is important if there is any growth.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back