Looking for a car for the kid, Part 2

Status
Not open for further replies.
OK,

I took your advice and passed on the PT Cruiser for my son. Labeling it as a prophylactic was downright hilarious by the way. It seems the used car market around here is just insane. Finding a low cost, decent shape car with less than 150k on the clock is getting difficult. I don't know if this is just a sign of the times or if this is a residual effect from hurricanes Harvey and Irma taking out so many cars.

I did run across a 2003 Rodeo 4cyl 5spd manual transmission with 67k miles. It has new tires and recent service, body and interior seems to be in very good shape. Any known issues? On the plus side it is not as ugly
laugh.gif

Atleast up here I think the sweet spot for cost/year of useful life is 2014-2016 Chevy Cruze. A car with 30-40k left on the drivetrain warranty for $9-10k...
In the $2-3k market I'd just look for something simple that's been maintained, PT cruisers included...

Originally Posted By: 2010Civic
I see you have a Honda CR-V. Why not get him a Honda Civic?

Price. found on with 180k miles for $3k. A 20 year old one with 130k for a little over $3K. At that point without service records on the AT I'm a little concerned.

I like the Rodeo's. At least it wont have the oil burn issue like the 3.5 had. The 2.2L is an interesting engine.

Does your son have any preference? If he does and it isn’t a new BMW he might find a good vehicle on his own and take some of this load off of you. Who, and I have to say this based on your earlier pick of a PT Cruiser, have no judgement whatsoever when it comes to picking out cars.
grin.gif

Originally Posted By: Sunnyinhollister
Originally Posted By: Chris142
It's an Isuzu! Run

What's wrong with the 4cyl?

Dunno about either engine, but I'd be more worried about getting parts. Should still have parts around, but it's getting older.

You should come north. Plenty of cheap cars up here to be had. Some even run! now inspectable, different issue...

You've got well over $50k worth of vehicles in your sig and you can't purchase your child a semi-decent car?

The answer is Toyota Corolla, btw.

Originally Posted By: 2strokeNorthstar
Crown Vic. Dirt cheap to buy and run and give him some incentive to work and get something better.

These often pop up from estates and other sales, often with low miles and a low price. You might be able to nab a 50K mile CV/GM for $3K or less if you're one of the first ones to find out.

Originally Posted By: A_A_G
You've got well over $50k worth of vehicles in your sig and you can't purchase your child a semi-decent car?

Two of those vehicles are work vehicles and no I'm not rich. I thought that a low mileage SUV in good shape was a decent vehicle. I've been looking for Corollas. How is the AT in those? I saw one with 101K on it that seemed to be in decent shape, but then there is the Takata air bag issue.

Originally Posted By: supton
Originally Posted By: Chris142
It's an Isuzu! Run

What's wrong with the 4cyl?

Dunno about either engine, but I'd be more worried about getting parts. Should still have parts around, but it's getting older.

You should come north. Plenty of cheap cars up here to be had. Some even run! now inspectable, different issue...

It would be a fun road trip. I have a cousin living in NH.

Originally Posted By: A_A_G

Two of those vehicles are work vehicles and no I'm not rich. I thought that a low mileage SUV in good shape was a decent vehicle. I've been looking for Corollas. How is the AT in those? I saw one with 101K on it that seemed to be in decent shape, but then there is the Takata air bag issue.

I can certainly understand why the OP wants to buy a cheaper starter vehicle for a child. The odds are high that it will be wrecked/totaled within the first year and buying a cheaper vehicle to start-with makes a LOT of sense. Both of my kids wrecked their vehicles within their first year of driving. Good/serviceable vehicles in this price range that don't need a lot of work are going to be VERY hard to come-by.
The Rodeo would be a good kid/starter vehicle and one with only 67k miles would be a good buy if it is in good condition otherwise. They are fairly durable and reliable. The 4-cyl manual is a plus. The only problem with Isuzu products is that they are going have parts availability problems going forward, but a fair number of parts should still be available from Honda for awhile. Your son should like it.
The automatic transmission in a 101k Corolla should not be a concern. All of the Toyota products use Aisin automatic transmissions and they are the most durable/reliable automatics manufactured in the world. Corollas are an excellent kid/starter car.
If you are worried about Takata air bags you are going to have a VERY hard time finding a used vehicle as a large percentage of the vehicles manufactured in the last 20 years have the Takata air bags that are problematic. Keep in mind that the manufacturers are taking care of this problem by replacing all of them for free under recall, regardless of the age or miles. With your budget limitations, you will NOT be able to purchase a PERFECT and completely safe vehicle for your child (I know you want to), be realistic or be prepared to spend a LOT more money!

Last edited:
You should get him something with a stick. My dad bought my siblings, 2 sisters/brothers sticks for first cars because he wanted us to be able to drive a stick. His daughter with a drunk boyfriend with a stick car as an example so she could drive him home.

I love the idea of the Rodeo.

Parts are NOT hard to find for them. They were sold all over the world in some form and they are great vehicles.

We lost all of them up here due to rust. They NEVER stop running. If the price is right and with that low of miles I say go for it.

Originally Posted By: 2strokeNorthstar
Crown Vic. Dirt cheap to buy and run and give him some incentive to work and get something better.

With Michelins........

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back