Looking for a better alternative to Castrol EDGE 5w40

2017 VW Passat 1.8T - Just wondering if there is something superior I should use besides the factory Castrol EDGE 5w40...

not much other than castrol or m1 0w-40 which many here praise above the 5w-40. its a fine oil but id rather use quaker state euro 5w-40 since its just a lot cheaper at $15.96 at wm.com as of right now so snag some up before its gone again.

is something superior
Mobil and Pennzoil make 5w40. You'll need to define "superior". With good OCI and a good filter, your engine will never know the difference between Castrol or Mobil or Pennzoil. Maintenance is 1000x more important than brand of oil. Choose an oil that doesn't burn. If none do in your vehicle, buy the less expensive oil and be done with it.

In my 2017 VW All Track, I have the dealer change the oil using the 5W-40 VW branded oil which is now made by Mobil. So just buy that oil at the dealer and you will be fine. It is 505 rated.

Any of the name brand 5w40's with the correct specs are going to yield essentially the same results (not surprisingly) and they are good oils.

If you really want something technically "superior" as already suggested switching to a VW 504 oil would be the way to go.

Mobil and Pennzoil make 5w40. You'll need to define "superior". With good OCI and a good filter, your engine will never know the difference between Castrol or Mobil or Pennzoil. Maintenance is 1000x more important than brand of oil. Choose an oil that doesn't burn. If none do in your vehicle, buy the less expensive oil and be done with it.
Definitely needs to define better. Open ended questions like this are useless.

OP what are you trying to improve?

Definitely needs to define better. Open ended questions like this are useless.

OP what are you trying to improve?
Since my dealer has a bit of a backlog for service I've decided to do oil changes myself again. I guess mainly for me this boils down to a jump from the 502/505 A3/B4 type oils to the 504/507 C3 type oils. It is my understanding that the latter is simply a "low saps" formula? I've gone through the PDS and VOAs for pretty much everything and honestly I don't see a ton of differences. The one thing I do notice is that Castrol has Titanium. Is this a marketing gimmick? Does it do anything? Will I get better fuel economy with something like an ESP 0W30? So far I'm leaning toward "screw it, buy the cheapest 502/505 oil"

Since my dealer has a bit of a backlog for service I've decided to do oil changes myself again. I guess mainly for me this boils down to a jump from the 502/505 A3/B4 type oils to the 504/507 C3 type oils. It is my understanding that the latter is simply a "low saps" formula? I've gone through the PDS and VOAs for pretty much everything and honestly I don't see a ton of differences. The one thing I do notice is that Castrol has Titanium. Is this a marketing gimmick? Does it do anything? Will I get better fuel economy with something like an ESP 0W30? So far I'm leaning toward "screw it, buy the cheapest 502/505 oil"
You won’t get any improvement in mpg. But, generally turbo engines like cleaner oils. In addition low SAPS oils leave less deposits on intake valves (carbon build-up).
The reason why VW didn’t recommend that oil in your Passat is that it was only in 2017 that the US moved to ultra low sulphur gas (ULSG).

PZ-Platinum-API-950x1000.jpeg

You won’t get any improvement in mpg. But, generally turbo engines like cleaner oils. In addition low SAPS oils leave less deposits on intake valves (carbon build-up).
The reason why VW didn’t recommend that oil in your Passat is that it was only in 2017 that the US moved to ultra low sulphur gas (ULSG).
Good answer. And to add to why there won’t be any MPG improvement is because the approvals have the same HT/HS requirement. It’s not about the labeled grade.

Ok I'll bite, better be good.
Relax, no need to get that excited over an internet post.

1) It is more important to use the correct weight and type of motor oil that meets or exceeds the manufacture's requirement for a particular engine. Since I am here in the US and there are plenty of great fully synthetic oil options to chose from, there is no need to buy imported oil. Mobil 1 just happens to be my brand of choice.
2) As long as there is an oil on the market that is up to specification, and there are, I will not support Castrol by buying their product because of of this ( https://bobistheoilguy.com/forums/threads/the-myth-of-the-mobil-1-v-castrol-lawsuit.73900/ ).

Relax, no need to get that excited over an internet post.

1) It is more important to use the correct weight and type of motor oil that meets or exceeds the manufacture's requirement for a particular engine. Since I am here in the US and there are plenty of great fully synthetic oil options to chose from, there is no need to buy imported oil. Mobil 1 just happens to be my brand of choice.
2) As long as there is an oil on the market that is up to specification, and there are, I will not support Castrol by buying their product because of of this ( https://bobistheoilguy.com/forums/threads/the-myth-of-the-mobil-1-v-castrol-lawsuit.73900/ ).
1. Grade in VW is irrelevant. It is HTHS that matters.
2. Mobil1 has huge amount of SAPS unles C3 product.
3. Lawsuit is irrelevant. Mobil1 is also not made mostly out ouf “true” synthetics. Castrol Edge 0W30 and 0W40 have more PAO content (around 50%). Final product is what matters.

Back