Looking at Laptops

What’s the budget? What kind of work?
I think I found what I need. I'll be going through an accelerated IT certification in Data Analysis, so large data sets and learning Python, etc.

I may end up getting a desktop, I can get a refurbed HP mini tower, and have a 32" LED TV. I'll use my laptop for the remote workshops, and use the desktop for programming.

HP is pretty ubiquitous in stores, that being said I tend to avoid them,while the hardware is ok HP software is the absolute WORST! Dell, Acer and Asus are ok brands that don't load gobs of bloatware on their computers.
My friend owns a Computer repair business, and is very opinionated. He loves Asus. Likes HP.

You know a laptop is old when they say Toshiba! What kind of work are you doing?

I work with HPs the most, as that's what I order for the folks at the office. HP's software and drivers are the worst and they have the most bloatware. Sometimes they have drivers that work or BSOD after certain MS updates. Nothing a clean Windows install won't fix but not everybody wants to do that, understandably.

I don't think I've come across a broken Lenovo with any of my clients on the consulting side.

I rarely come across Dells on the consulting side as well so I can't really give an opinion about them.

I strongly agree with this statement. I've rarely had a consumer-grade laptop last as long as a business/enterprise/workstation class laptop. Of course, you're paying a lot more for it too. Higher-end consumer laptops like the HP Spectre are pretty stout too but they approach the same price as business-grade laptops.
It is not a work laptop. It is my home surfing tool. 9 years old, newer SSD. No issues, ever. But for this situation, I obviously am going to upgrade. I absolutely love Toshiba products.

Reactions: Y_K
There’s only a few manufacturers that make all the laptops for the big names - and every model by the big names can be by one of those manufacturers.

That being said, I’ve learned over the years to avoid the $500-$600 laptops. Those would last me 5 years or so before they became too slow and the experience everyday reminds you you paid a low price. My last laptop I splurged and got a Dell XPS and it’s nearly 5yrs old and still runs like it’s brand new and it’s still super fast. I’ll likely keep it 10 years. In short, the laptops in the $1200-$2000 range can be worth it if you keep your hardware for a long time. The quality of materials, no flexing cases, sturdy hinges, the smooth vibrant screen, dedicated graphics cards, NVme drives, lots of RAM, i7 processor, backlit keyboard, the feel of a good keyboard…they’re worth it if you use it everyday. I just used AutoCAD on it the other day with 2 external monitors plugged in and it ran like I was playing solitaire. I love using it everyday. Now I’m spoiled.

Last edited:
I'm pretty opinionated too. I've been in IT for 25 years
same here, been in IT since 1995, mscse till they retired it,
personally i use a HP gamer laptop, 6 core AMD Ryzen 5 5600H.ram upped to 16gb and the stick ssd swapped from a 512gb to a 2 tb ,it was simple and made to add to, even has a spot with a ssd/hd holder and cable built in to add one,
microcenter has become my go to for my needs

simple question most it's ask,is what do you need it for? most cases it's surfing the net and reading email for which one never needs a super machine, of which all make a good enough unit

same here, been in IT since 1995, mscse till they retired it,
personally i use a HP gamer laptop, 6 core AMD Ryzen 5 5600H.ram upped to 16gb and the stick ssd swapped from a 512gb to a 2 tb ,it was simple and made to add to, even has a spot with a ssd/hd holder and cable built in to add one,
microcenter has become my go to for my needs

simple question most it's ask,is what do you need it for? most cases it's surfing the net and reading email for which one never needs a super machine, of which all make a good enough unit
I've heard that AMD processor tests well against the competition.

If I end up getting a 2nd laptop, vs buying that HP mini Tower, a HP I've looked at is:

HP

Last edited by a moderator:
I've heard that AMD processor tests well against the competition.

If I end up getting a 2nd laptop, vs buying that HP mini Tower, a HP I've looked at is:

[URL='https://www.hp.com/us-en/shop/pdp/hp-laptop-15z-ef2000-touch-optional-2k3t2av-1]HP[/URL]
I have the bigger brother to that machine (https://www.hp.com/us-en/shop/pdp/hp-elitebook-855-g8-notebook-pc-p-61d40ua-aba-1). Six core Rizen 5, 16GB RAM, 512GB SSD. My 2016 MacBook Pro with a very dated dual core i5, 16GB RAM, and 512GB SSD actually performs better for web surfing and basic word processing.

Despite its weaker stats and datedness, my Mac is much snappier, and pages load much quicker. The HP has a visible lag when scrolling in Word documents, something that is not an issue with the Mac. The Mac is much quieter as well. The HP’s fans can be heard across the room and randomly spin up to maximum cooling when simply scrolling on pages or when the machine is idle and the malware scans kick off.

So far, the only place that I’ve found that this 6 year newer machine performs better is when compressing or decompressing large files in memory only. If I am doing any disk reads or writes, the older MacBook pulls ahead by a significant margin.

Last edited by a moderator:
interesting opinions! years ago a local TV repair guy that fixed-soldered cracked circuits mentioned that most computer manufacturers buy similar parts + pieces at the best price + assemble them. not techy + only surf buy on my cheaper laptops + had 2 dells needing repairs + one older dell that girlfriend does games on wont go on line saying no internet connection check cables. she has a under $200 HP at home she uses + i have a spare HP laptop like hers i never activated but will to replace the malfunctioning dell + my 17" HP i am now on has been good enough for ME. i like + buy 17" laptops but the 15" models suit her. lots of options depending on needs, wants + of course $$$$$

I still have and occasionally use an old Dell Latitude E6430 in my vehicle. This used to be my work laptop 10 years ago and I got to keep it a couple of years later. While it doesn't have a great display (no IPS) it has a solid metal case, durable hinges, a keyboard with backlighted keys, a touchpad and nipple/joystick, a DVD drive, and it's super-durable. Most importantly it has a removable battery and the hard drive can be removed in about 12 seconds flat. It's been running Windows 10 Pro for the last 7 years. This laptop has lived most of its life in vehicles, got jostled around, got dusty, hot, wet, and has lived a generally hard life.

Last edited:
Reactions: Y_K
Using an older Toshiba Tetra. Every Toshiba I've owned has been outstanding.

With that said, looking to possibly get into a new laptop soon --- work related projects I'll have going forward.

Need: 8gb ram. SSD drive, size not important. I5 gen 7 or equivalent processor. At least 15" screen.

Thoughts?
System 76. Built in the USA, outstanding customer service, and the newest versions of linux are compatible with everything and just as easy to use as windows or a fruit.book, but more secure.

System 76. Built in the USA, outstanding customer service, and the newest versions of linux are compatible with everything and just as easy to use as windows or a fruit.book, but more secure.
Sure, but they start at 1k, and for a laptop just for surfing, it might be a bit overkill.

I still have and occasionally use an old Dell Latitude E6430 in my vehicle. This used to be my work laptop 10 years ago and I got to keep it a couple of years later. While it doesn't have a great display (no IPS) it has a solid metal case, durable hinges, a keyboard with backlighted keys, a touchpad and nipple/joystick, a DVD drive, and it's super-durable. Most importantly it has a removable battery and the hard drive can be removed in about 12 seconds flat. It's been running Windows 10 Pro for the last 7 years. This laptop has lived most of its life in vehicles, got jostled around, got dusty, hot, wet, and has lived a generally hard life.
Sounds exactly like my Toshiba Tecra

Back