Looking at buying a little property

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm looking to buy a river or lake lot near me . Not looking to spend a ton I'm going to pay cash for it. My main reason for this point is for advice what to look for what to be aware of ect ect . I've never bought property other than my house which is a little different. Anyway any pointers or advice would be great.

Just a plot of land with no building on it? Are you planning on building or just holding it?

check very carefully into the buildability of the property. Is it in a floodplain? Sometimes the Corp of Engineers has heavy duty environmental restrictions on lake lots for the dams that they operate.

Originally Posted By: dishdude
Just a plot of land with no building on it? Are you planning on building or just holding it?

+1

My BIL bought some land and is building a small cabin on it now....

Go to the local Town Hall or check for FEMA flood maps online. It would be nice to know if the property will flood during a major storm.

While you're at the Town Hall, talk to the zoning official, and define what's allowable on the site.

Also, you can go online to check the Soil Survey maps for the site. That can give you an idea of the type of soils.

Finally, consider asking a local engineer to verify that the site can support a leach field.....I'm assuming that you will eventually want to build on it or sell it as buildable.

Originally Posted By: jimbrewer
check very carefully into the buildability of the property. Is it in a floodplain? Sometimes the Corp of Engineers has heavy duty environmental restrictions on lake lots for the dams that they operate.

Also a developer will sell resort-y lots real cheap with the condition that you have to use their contractor and building plans.

Does it have access to a water supply(town water) or requires a $10k-$40k well system? Does it have sewer available or do you need to spend likely $15k-$20k for a septic system. Can you actually build something on it according to local building codes. If answer is no to above two question its just a piece of land.

What is your intended purpose?

I'm just looking for something to camp and fish on and to birthday party's at nothing fancy

No flood plain
Building allowed by local government
How much to bring in utilities
Cost of septic and well
Is there good water in neighboring lots
Are there any future plans for neighboring highways, industrial, windmill farms , other development etc....
Whatever makes your plot attractive may make it attractive for others

Originally Posted By: ram_man
I'm just looking for something to camp and fish on and to birthday party's at nothing fancy

In that case you might want to buy a lot that can't be built on. They can get pretty cheap. Other option might be something like a pontoon boat. Since waterfront realestate is pretty expensive here, lots of people just get a sizable boat to drop in for the weekend.

In that case access is the key point. You need to think how can to this piece of land and at a birthday party where would folks park and is it accessible(trudge through a swamp vs walking dry land). My buddy has a piece of land in Northeast kingdom of VT. It has an "access road" and platform he has placed a yurt onto. You really need his Land Cruiser to get there although knowing I had a tow strap and driving very slowly on steeper slopes and crossing a 7" deep brook(gravel dumped in) and climbing out I went in with a 07 Acura MDX.

Sounds like a public park would suit you just fine and save you thousands of dollars.

I don't know if you have a good network of local/state/national out there, but between parks and national forest and BLM land, CA has plenty of places to go for free or nearly free that would fit your requirements. The less amenities, usually the less crowded.

IMHO start researching campgrounds that suit your needs. Also rental/getaway cabins also.

If this sounds like what you want then move forward to buying...Party is this coming weekend.. 1)mow grass, and weedeat. 2)take chairs and tables. 3)buy one bucket for men and one for women to go to bathroom in. 4)no power- start looking at generators. 5)create shade area 6)make sure there is room for people to park and access your location. 7)buy trash can and trash bags 8)buy coolers and ice 9)carry grill. 10)what did you forget? how far is the nearest store? how far from home?...LOL 11)toilet paper...

So if you are a camper already then you know what it takes to make it all happen..if not its a learning curve to take everything u need with you every time.

In my area i can think of 25 places where i can spend the day near a river or lake and do all that you described for free...so i dont know what owning any of those spots would feel like except for being responsible for them and paying taxes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back