Looking at another late model high mileage car. 2020 Sonata.

How much are they asking for it?

dr-evil-one-billion-dollars.gif

It's a 250K mile Hyundai with known engine known to be problematic. I wouldn't pay more than scrap value for it.

View attachment 180586

It's a 250K mile Hyundai with known engine known to be problematic. I wouldn't pay more than scrap value for it.
Since when does the 2.5L have engine problems?

$7,200 is a steal for that car. If I needed a decent sedan commuter I would have scooped that up. Even if it needed an engine somewhat soon, would still be doing ok financially.

Passed on it. Sold for $6900 or about $7200 with fees. OK price, but not great enough to buy sight unseen.
Good decision. There isnt money in a HM Hyundai if that is your goal. If you want to play with them get a 2010 or older Elantra. You will find out it was modelled after the Corolla.

Good decision. There isnt money in a HM Hyundai if that is your goal. If you want to play with them get a 2010 or older Elantra. You will find out it was modelled after the Corolla.
A 13 year old Elantra vs a 3 year old Sonata? Umm....no thanks. It's not going to have any of the modern features and conveniences plus the price will be just a few thousand less.

Corolla has it model name and Toyota on it. Hyundai has a shaky reputation or if you are lucky none to a perspective buyer.
Might be your preconceived notions, but my 2006 Sonata had nearly 300,000 miles before I sold it in great condition. Today, they are nearly as good as Toyota or Honda.

A 13 year old Elantra vs a 3 year old Sonata? Umm....no thanks. It's not going to have any of the modern features and conveniences plus the price will be just a few thousand less.

Might be your preconceived notions, but my 2006 Sonata had nearly 300,000 miles before I sold it in great condition. Today, they are nearly as good as Toyota or Honda.

So your goal is profit. Again good decision avoiding the HM Hyundai. I didn’t say or imply trying to flip an old Elantra, I said PLAY with it. Frankly I was surprised you were even considering that vehicle in the first place.

So your goal is profit. Again good decision avoiding the HM Hyundai. I didn’t say or imply trying to flip an old Elantra, I said PLAY with it. Frankly I was surprised you were even considering that vehicle in the first place.
The problem is, a 13 year old Elantra is a $1000 car to me that people are asking $4000 or $5000 for, and that I couldn't make any money on. At least on a 2020 Sonata for $7,200, there is plenty of meat left on the bone.

Might be your preconceived notions, but my 2006 Sonata had nearly 300,000 miles before I sold it in great condition. Today, they are nearly as good as Toyota or Honda

Today they might cost as much as a Toyota or Honda -- nearly as good --- GOOD LORD!!! SMH

With that many miles I would think CEL light is probably Cat Converter.
My 97 Integra and 95 Corolla didn't have cat problem at 270k, but my inlaw's 97 Camry has with 120k because they drive it with a bad starter all the time and let it crank and crank to start, till the excessive fuel burnt the cat. It is all about how you drive it.

250k in 3 years means almost all highway and no cold start, very unlikely the cat is burnt, IMO.

Back